• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So I noticed Boris' Poops got smaller.... am I doing the right thing?

tommo1975

Young Bun
I had an inclination yesterday PM that his poops were smaller than normal and today's inspection of his "output" confirms it - they are half the size. I suspect (but I'm nowhere near 100%) it's some beetroot treats that may have triggered it as I had mixed a small amount in with his hay to encourage foraging and it's a) the only new thing he's had and b)his poops also seem redder. In terms of quantity I'd given him 3-4 pinches of this;

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/beetroot-the-hay-experts.html

So, what to do? He's eager for food as ever and pooping fine (in terms of number), drinking OK etc. He's on metacam for his ongoing mobility issues (poss E.C related), but nothing else.

I have cleaned out his hutch of the hay that had contained the beetroot and have also cleared out his pellets. All that is in his hutch now is a variety of different hays and some redigrass. I've cut down on his fresh veg, with a smaller amount than normal of dill, carrot tops , coriander and romaine lettuce during this evening - in order to encourage him to eat hay. I've been waving bits of hay under his nose, but he's not been too impressed! (he wanted his fenugreek crunches!)

I gave him some fiberplex in a Basil leaf "sandwich" earlier this evening.

Aside from keeping an eye on him for stasis, is there anything else I should be doing? I have been going out encouraging him to exercise in the garden, but each time he hops over hoping for food/treats (not that I am complaining much, as I don't want him to stop eating). I am hoping that if I leave him overnight with only hay to eat, he'll munch on it and that'll help his system get back to normal. I just want to check I'm not doing anything daft or am missing a trick.

Back