• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home frustrating!!!

Yet again, I have to object to comments like these. The worst thing for rabbits is to much hard feed ( muesli OR pellets) and not enough hay. Let's face it if P@H muesli is not great quality, the pellets ain't going to be much good either. Rabbits can live without either types of hard feed, in many cases, so even selective feeding becomes irrelevant!

Totally agree, it's a bad move to ban Muesli type food, thank goodness Pets at Home aren't the only pet shop in the world, there are plenty of others selling muesli that don't sell pets, muesli has it's place and it needs to be kept

As a matter of interest, I read a report some time back that Science Selective pellets are totally unsuitable for rabbits due to the size and shape and can causing eating issues even choking, Science Selective know about the problems but are not prepared to address the issues, I personally think that is irresponsible

I think I'd heard about this happening. I don't use muesli, but agre with those who think that whilst pelleted feeds are generally best, there can be instances where buns are on muesli, doing fine (or better than on pellets) and therefore there is no need to change.

Totally agree, it's a bad move to ban Muesli type food, thank goodness Pets at Home aren't the only pet shop in the world, there are plenty of others selling muesli that don't sell pets, muesli has it's place and it needs to be kept

As a matter of interest, I read a report some time back that Science Selective pellets are totally unsuitable for rabbits due to the size and shape and can causing eating issues even choking, Science Selective know about the problems but are not prepared to address the issues, I personally think that is irresponsible

I emailed Supreme about choking recently because of when it happened to Smudge. I just wanted to make them aware. They send me a long email back, I can PM it or paste it if people wanted to read it.

I'm scared now to use pelleted foods so I use Fibafirst. They love it and it cuts down on squabbling at food time.

I emailed Supreme about choking recently because of when it happened to Smudge. I just wanted to make them aware. They send me a long email back, I can PM it or paste it if people wanted to read it.

I'm scared now to use pelleted foods so I use Fibafirst. They love it and it cuts down on squabbling at food time.

Fibafirst is great and far better than any of the other pelleted feeds

Just out of curiosity how do you know buns are not selectively feeding on museli type foods when they are in pairs or groups?

I fed RR for years but changed to SS a few years ago because i could see that while no food was being left, in some cases one of a pair was eating all the best bits ( or what they considered the best bits) and leaving the rest for the other bun so there was selective feeding going on. Especially if they were a slower eater or not as food orientated as their partner. So i thought at least with pellets even if the other bun ends up with less at least every thing they eat will have the same content :?

Becuase they have such a small amount that I watch them as they eat...my vets asked me to do this anyway since they were concerned that Willows weight issue might be due to bullying...so I watch them eat while im filling up hay boxes/water bowls etc and by the time thats done the food is gone and to my knowledge none of them selectivly eat and not a scrap is left over :)

Becuase they have such a small amount that I watch them as they eat...my vets asked me to do this anyway since they were concerned that Willows weight issue might be due to bullying...so I watch them eat while im filling up hay boxes/water bowls etc and by the time thats done the food is gone and to my knowledge none of them selectivly eat and not a scrap is left over :)

Do you get the big brown eyed 'we NEED more' look !! :lol:

I only feed a tiny amount of RR and it is all gone in a few minutes.

Do you get the big brown eyed 'we NEED more' look !! :lol:

I only feed a tiny amount of RR and it is all gone in a few minutes.

Yes infact this morning Lucky, Hope and Daisy blocked the shed door as I tried to leave with the bag of food...im sure it was coincidence but it looked fairly well planned out! :shock::lol:

I think its a good step forward :) most people who are buying babies there can stick with pellets right away. I have nothing against museli, but I prefer to feed pellets anyway.

My surviving bun, Smokey (9 1/2 years old, we lost Inky in October) is on a tiny amount of muesli (Russell Rabbit), a tiny amount of Mature Excel pellets with Protexin Fibre pellets and some hedgerow herbs (about a tablespoon a day altogether).

I found that pellets on their own were just too 'strong' for her digestive system and she does much better on a mix (she doesn't selectively feed). She has always been good about eating hay.

I do wonder though with the P@H situation. If you are only feeding tiny amounts, a bag of hard feed will last for months (I usually end up chucking mine when the Best Before date is nearly here), so it's not much good only getting a month's notice.

I guess that can be done with just a couple of rabbits but when you have 30 -40 its not as easy.

I think as mixes go Rr is the best. Like I said I used it for years but changed to ss because I was made to feel guilty on here for feeding it because of its low fibre content and some of the ingredients, strangely enough by some of the people now singing its praises!!

I guess that can be done with just a couple of rabbits but when you have 30 -40 its not as easy.

I think as mixes go Rr is the best. Like I said I used it for years but changed to ss because I was made to feel guilty on here for feeding it because of its low fibre content and some of the ingredients, strangely enough by some of the people now singing its praises!!

I dont even know how you manage to feed that many before its time to feed tea...let alone watching them all aswell!! :lol: I only have 9 buns here at the moment :thumb:

Yep, that would be me :thumb:

Personally I don't think anyone should be made to feel bad about what they're feeding their rabbit as long as the rabbit is getting plenty of hay and is healthy etc. What works for one bunny doesn't work for another. :wave:

Pellets are better but if you only feed small amounts of dry food, as you should if you stick to the 75% hay and some veg diet, then a good quality muesli is fine.
This move by PAH is a bit daft and a better move for rabbit welfare would be for them to stop selling the rabbits

Absolutely :lol:
Also we are all learning and sometimes that means that our experiences tell us something different and we then change our habits. I'm sure all of us have our lovely pets best interest at heart :love:

Last edited:
I don't feel bad for what I do, I feed thae majority of my bunnies on A&P pellets. a couple of them are on Junior and Dwarf and 2 are on muesli, one of them because she came to me when she was aged 11.5 years old, she is now 12 years old and has been fed muesli all her life, bith of my vets have checked her teeth and both say she has the best teeth they have ever seen in any on of bunnies ever, I hardly think it's worth changing her to pellets now and the other bunny came in a couple of months ago, she was very, very poorly when she arrived and was hardly eating at all, I kept her on muesli to get her eating well again, and to get her through her spey which I have now done, she is now on 50/50 muesli and A&P pellets

I do what is right for my rabbits and with the majority being severly health compromised I will continue to do what is right for my rabbits, as I said before muesli has it's place and it needs to be kept as an option

I don't feel bad for what I do, I feed thae majority of my bunnies on A&P pellets. a couple of them are on Junior and Dwarf and 2 are on muesli, one of them because she came to me when she was aged 11.5 years old, she is now 12 years old and has been fed muesli all her life, bith of my vets have checked her teeth and both say she has the best teeth they have ever seen in any on of bunnies ever, I hardly think it's worth changing her to pellets now and the other bunny came in a couple of months ago, she was very, very poorly when she arrived and was hardly eating at all, I kept her on muesli to get her eating well again, and to get her through her spey which I have now done, she is now on 50/50 muesli and A&P pellets

I do what is right for my rabbits and with the majority being severly health compromised I will continue to do what is right for my rabbits, as I said before muesli has it's place and it needs to be kept as an option

:thumb:

I have never felt bad about feeding rabbit royale, why should I?
I do get annoyed at people being bullied into feeling they are bad owners because they feed muesli, by those who claim pellets are the only thing to feed, without considering all the facts.
I would like to see the research that has been done to decide that muesli is so bad, and more importantly to see how the tests were run.

Last edited:
Back