• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home frustrating!!!

At least 7 days, I'd aim for about 10 days.

Yep, I changed my bun from muesli to excel pellets in about 10 days, although by day 8 he was eating all the excel pellets and leaving the muesli (he never was really a huge muesli eater, and seemed to love the excel pellets, but I still did it slowly as he had been eating muesli when I got him.)

Am now in the process of changing him from the burgess excel to the ss pellets as I have heard so many good things about them.. it's going well so far :thumb:

Just mix a little at a time, I'd start with 90% usual food and 10% new food and gradually just increase the new food over the 10 days ...

PAH muesli is cheaper than their pellets - I expect that's partly why they are now saying it's no good. I wonder how my Spenser has got to 10 (on the 30th of this month) on muesli, and my friend's bun will be 11 in July on a muesli diet?

Pellets are better but if you only feed small amounts of dry food, as you should if you stick to the 75% hay and some veg diet, then a good quality muesli is fine.
This move by PAH is a bit daft and a better move for rabbit welfare would be for them to stop selling the rabbits

I feed museli and mine are on rabbit royale...swapping to this has saved my willows life as she was wasting away (french lop down to 1.5kg at one point!) on pellets and isn't the only one had problems with on pellets. Pets at home museli might be rubbish but they arnt all rubbish. Mine dont selectively eat and are amazingly more healthy than when on pellets. Do what makes you feel better and what suits your rabbits.

I feed museli and mine are on rabbit royale...swapping to this has saved my willows life as she was wasting away (french lop down to 1.5kg at one point!) on pellets and isn't the only one had problems with on pellets. Pets at home museli might be rubbish but they arnt all rubbish. Mine dont selectively eat and are amazingly more healthy than when on pellets. Do what makes you feel better and what suits your rabbits.

Yes but in your buns case it was needed its a special case

There are peole only giving musli and very little hay and the buns suffer its like a human only eating sweets :/

Yes but in your buns case it was needed its a special case

There are peole only giving musli and very little hay and the buns suffer its like a human only eating sweets :/

Same thing applies with pellets, will still lead to obesity and dental issues!

Same thing applies with pellets, will still lead to obesity and dental issues!

So, we're back really to the fact that muesli itself isn't the problem (the same as McDonalds food itself isn't the problem), the general view of a healthy rabbit diet is. P@H removing muesli from sale probably won't change that too much, and if people want to buy muesli they can always pick up Wagg Bunny Brunch from Tesco anyway!

(Incidentally, I had a rabbit too who had to have a little bit of muesli food to stay healthy, he had a pinch on top of pellets, so it isn't that unusual, so it's a good thing it's still available somewhere!)

we moved off muesli last year and got our bunnies onto pure pellets, since then they eat huge amounts of hay , when they had the muesli they would leave all the bits they disliked and not bother too much about the hay. Most rabbit people will agree that pellets are the way forward for a more balanced diet. once on the pellets these bunnies dont know the difference , try it , its the future:)

So, we're back really to the fact that muesli itself isn't the problem (the same as McDonalds food itself isn't the problem), the general view of a healthy rabbit diet is. P@H removing muesli from sale probably won't change that too much, and if people want to buy muesli they can always pick up Wagg Bunny Brunch from Tesco anyway!

(Incidentally, I had a rabbit too who had to have a little bit of muesli food to stay healthy, he had a pinch on top of pellets, so it isn't that unusual, so it's a good thing it's still available somewhere!)

Exactly, good quality muesli isn't a problem, it's the amounts fed of either pellets or muesli.
If fed a proper diet, even selective feeding isn't a huge issue because rabbits can have a balanced diet with a hay/ veg only diet!

Pellets are better but if you only feed small amounts of dry food, as you should if you stick to the 75% hay and some veg diet, then a good quality muesli is fine.
This move by PAH is a bit daft and a better move for rabbit welfare would be for them to stop selling the rabbits

totally agree.

we moved off muesli last year and got our bunnies onto pure pellets, since then they eat huge amounts of hay , when they had the muesli they would leave all the bits they disliked and not bother too much about the hay. Most rabbit people will agree that pellets are the way forward for a more balanced diet. once on the pellets these bunnies dont know the difference , try it , its the future:)

Not sure who this was aimed at but I have tried excel, science selective, pets at home, allen and page and bunny basics and every single one has caused some sort of problem with one or more of the buns (weight loss, comdition loss, excess cecals even being fed tiny amounts and plenty of hay etc). If you compare the ingredients between rabbit royale a pellets they arnt that different anyway! Would show you but im on my phone.

It makes up such a small part of their diet that i dont really understand the peoblem!

Not sure who this was aimed at but I have tried excel, science selective, pets at home, allen and page and bunny basics and every single one has caused some sort of problem with one or more of the buns (weight loss, comdition loss, excess cecals even being fed tiny amounts and plenty of hay etc). If you compare the ingredients between rabbit royale a pellets they arnt that different anyway! Would show you but im on my phone.

It makes up such a small part of their diet that i dont really understand the peoblem!

I very much thought it was a fact supported by vets that pellets are far better for a rabbit than musli but as long as you have minimal pellets or musli and lots of hay its ok

I would completly agree if your bun feeds selectively luckily none of mine do on RR :)

Same here

I too now feed Rabbit Royale as it suits all of my Rabbits, who are all good hay eaters. I have had numerous problems with several of the pelleted feeds including three near fatal chokes.

As I have said previously on similar threads, yes in theory a Pelleted feed is preferable for the 'standard Pet Rabbit'. But as with most things Rabbit related, nothing is set in stone and if pelleted feed causes problems and a reasonable quality muesli does not then it is common sense to do what works for the Rabbits in your care :)

Same here

I too now feed Rabbit Royale as it suits all of my Rabbits, who are all good hay eaters. I have had numerous problems with several of the pelleted feeds including three near fatal chokes.

As I have said previously on similar threads, yes in theory a Pelleted feed is preferable for the 'standard Pet Rabbit'. But as with most things Rabbit related, nothing is set in stone and if pelleted feed causes problems and a reasonable quality muesli does not then it is common sense to do what works for the Rabbits in your care :)
Me too, mine are all fed on RR and I have no selective eating problems. They are all big hay eaters as well.

I would completly agree if your bun feeds selectively luckily none of mine do on RR :)

Just out of curiosity how do you know buns are not selectively feeding on museli type foods when they are in pairs or groups?

I fed RR for years but changed to SS a few years ago because i could see that while no food was being left, in some cases one of a pair was eating all the best bits ( or what they considered the best bits) and leaving the rest for the other bun so there was selective feeding going on. Especially if they were a slower eater or not as food orientated as their partner. So i thought at least with pellets even if the other bun ends up with less at least every thing they eat will have the same content :?

They do recommend a ten day food changeover but when buns come into rescue, are got out of bad situations or are strays - there's no changeover. Feed plenty of hay and introduce pellets over a few days. I've only even had one bun that its caused a problem for.

Incidentally- I'm not even a p@h customer and I knew about the food - so they must be marketing it quite well!!!

Back