• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny died...

I am so sorry Stephanie to hear your about your lovely Phoebe. So very sad. We are all thinking of you

angel2.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I lost one of my beloved mice just last Friday to repeated heart attacks. He had several violent fits before he died so I know how traumatising this can feel. As others have said try not to blame yourself or start with the "what ifs" - even if it was VHD, you had given her the vaccine, you took her to the vets as soon as you sensed trouble, and there was nothing more you could have done for her even if you had known the vaccine wasn't 100% effective. Just remember the happy times, and think about what a lovely four months she must have had with you - it's much more the quality of life than the quantity.

My deepest sympathies for you and Douglas - remember to give him as many hugs and nose rubs as possible to make him feel loved (I'm sure you'll be doing that already).

AMETHYST

Sorry for your loss

I am so sorry, I lost one of my little baby girls a few weeks ago (Warren aged 11 months), and am still very sad. Charlie her sister still misses her.

The well wishes from people on this site helped no end. At the time all I could feel was what if, but i did all I could and people are right to say that having given a bun the very best for its life, no matter how short is all you can do. I have taken great comfort from that.

It does sound like VHD, have you cleaned all the hutches etc well? Mine also likes grapes( esp red ones), but be careful the sugar content is high. I use them as a treat. Try parsnip, mine goes mad for it!
Take care of yourself

I am so sorry you had to experience this, you could have done nothing more for her, her life was short, but you still give her a great life! I am sure she looks down on you from rainbow bridge!

I cannot possibly understand what you must be going through, I hope you are okay and I am thinking of you!

PS I vaccinate my two against VHD and Mxyo, is there anything else?

Beebop said:
PS I vaccinate my two against VHD and Mxyo, is there anything else?

Nope those are the two main diseases and the only vaccines I think are available for pet rabbits.

Caz

Back