• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Muesli - Urine Problems and Other Things....U/D post 42

Thank you Vicky. He seems to be doing a lot better today. There has only been one accident in the last 24 hours.

There have also been no more excess cecotrophs, but there are giant poos that are squidgy in texture so we have added some probiotic to their water today. Fingers crossed that this all clears up. He will be going back to the vet this week to see our usual bunny vet.

Glad his tummy is starting to settle now, he certainly sounds a bit better. Hope all goes well with the bunny vet this week. Let us know how he gets on. Sorry I have no more useful advice :oops: x

I am not sure if the antibiotics are working yet for Muesli - we started them on Friday night, and he has been better with his urinating over the weekend but has done another big puddle tonight and a little small one as well. He has also been gulping down his water still.

I am also concerned about his eye - its more the outside of his eye, its all red and inflamed and slightly crusty looking. I dont know if the anti-biotics should be helping with that too, but I guess it could be parasitic.

We are trying to get him in to see Rebecca our bunny vet but we are both struggling to get any time off at the moment and she is only on daytimes and no Saturdays this week :( hopefully within the next couple of days we can get him there.

Poor Muesli. :( Keeping up vibes for him, and hoping you can get an appointment soon at a manageable time.

Poor Muesli. :( Keeping up vibes for him, and hoping you can get an appointment soon at a manageable time.

Thank you Susie, its times like this when I feel guilty for working full-time with the buns - just cos over the last few weeks it has been really hard to see our usual vet.

Muesli seems fine in himself and does seem to be using the litter tray more and more :) The downside to him weeing outside of his litter tray is that it means that we have had to restrict their space to only playing out when we are able to supervise them - another thing to feel guilty about but we are increasing it as he gets more used to it, and as he does less accidents.

I am not sure if the antibiotics are working yet for Muesli - we started them on Friday night, and he has been better with his urinating over the weekend but has done another big puddle tonight and a little small one as well. He has also been gulping down his water still.

I am also concerned about his eye - its more the outside of his eye, its all red and inflamed and slightly crusty looking. I dont know if the anti-biotics should be helping with that too, but I guess it could be parasitic.

We are trying to get him in to see Rebecca our bunny vet but we are both struggling to get any time off at the moment and she is only on daytimes and no Saturdays this week :( hopefully within the next couple of days we can get him there.

What antibiotics is he on? Sorry if I missed this. Did they take a urine sample? Sometimes abx can take time to kick in and at others you may need to try an alternative, but I would give it a bit longer :? A combination may be more effective. I hope you can get to see your more savy vet soon, it must be such a worry, but atleast he is feeling ok in himself. Is he on anti-inflammatories at the same time?

What has he done to his eye? Did he scratch it? An abx suitable for a wee infection may not be effective for an eye infection unless it is pretty broad spectrum I would assume? Hope he feels better soon x

What antibiotics is he on? Sorry if I missed this. Did they take a urine sample? Sometimes abx can take time to kick in and at others you may need to try an alternative, but I would give it a bit longer :? A combination may be more effective. I hope you can get to see your more savy vet soon, it must be such a worry, but atleast he is feeling ok in himself. Is he on anti-inflammatories at the same time?

What has he done to his eye? Did he scratch it? An abx suitable for a wee infection may not be effective for an eye infection unless it is pretty broad spectrum I would assume? Hope he feels better soon x

Hi Vicky, he is on Baytril at the moment and also Lapizole for possible EC, we are treating both Muesli and Starbuck for this. No they didnt take a urine sample. She said the next step would be bloods and advised us to bring Muesli to see R (our bunny vet) this week. Sorry if I am being impatient :oops: He isnt on any anti-inflammatories. I asked about pain relief but the vet we saw said no at this stage because she suspected possible kidney problems as well.

I am not sure what is the problem with his eye - the vet we saw thinks he may have some very slight spurs forming and he may have to have a tearduct flush - but my concern is that the redness and scaliness is on the outside of his eye so I am not sure what this is. :?

OH is taking Thursday morning off work so he can get in to see the vet - Kenco is going as well as we are no further forward with his urine problems and so OH will have to take four of them at the one time!!

Glad Muesli is feeling a bit better, as it's only really 3days, the antibiotics may take longer to actuall kick in.
Dolly was dry for a few days but was wet again on Sat :roll: but I had given her fresh fenugreek for 2 days so have cut this out and so far has been dry again...I think the diuretic properties may have something to do wiith it (think that makes them wee more?)..I'm booking her back to vet Fri, hopefully to give a good 8 day observation.

Thanks Lildebs. I hope Dolly is doing better in herself, and that all goes ok at the vets. Muesli will be going on Thurs so not too much longer to wait for a follow-up.

Thank you Susie, its times like this when I feel guilty for working full-time with the buns - just cos over the last few weeks it has been really hard to see our usual vet.

Muesli seems fine in himself and does seem to be using the litter tray more and more :) The downside to him weeing outside of his litter tray is that it means that we have had to restrict their space to only playing out when we are able to supervise them - another thing to feel guilty about but we are increasing it as he gets more used to it, and as he does less accidents.

It sounds as if you are doing everything possible to make Muesli comfortable and happy. I'm sorry he's had this setback so soon after coming to you, but it's not long until Thursday and he is in good hands in the meantime. :)

Hi Vicky, he is on Baytril at the moment and also Lapizole for possible EC, we are treating both Muesli and Starbuck for this. No they didnt take a urine sample. She said the next step would be bloods and advised us to bring Muesli to see R (our bunny vet) this week. Sorry if I am being impatient :oops: He isnt on any anti-inflammatories. I asked about pain relief but the vet we saw said no at this stage because she suspected possible kidney problems as well.

I am not sure what is the problem with his eye - the vet we saw thinks he may have some very slight spurs forming and he may have to have a tearduct flush - but my concern is that the redness and scaliness is on the outside of his eye so I am not sure what this is. :?

OH is taking Thursday morning off work so he can get in to see the vet - Kenco is going as well as we are no further forward with his urine problems and so OH will have to take four of them at the one time!!

Sounds like your vet is covering all possibilites and is approaching this sensibly. I hope all goes well on Thursday and Mr Helgalush is able to juggle all 4 buns ok :) x

Thank you Susie and Vicky. No accidents in the last 24 hours, and his underside is looking a lot better. However, there is still a smell and he is still drinking lots, so I am glad its Thursday morning tomorrow and OH can take them down. Thanks for your support x

Just a little update on Muesli and Kenco who have both been to the vets today.

The vet said that Muesli's bottom is looking better and his urine scald is healing too - she said the antibiotics would be helping with this even if its not a UTI, so thats good. She has given us another 2-weeks worth of antibiotics to really try and sort it. We are going to continue with the Lapizole for possible EC too. She said that his tummy feels fine, so his slippery poos are down to the antibiotics and she said the probiotic may help, but to expect them to be funny while he is on the meds. We'll wait to see how these two treatments pan out as to whether he needs any other tests or investigations. Fingers crossed this will sort it. Muesli does seem to be a bit on the thin side, quite possibly as a result of the infections, but she said wait until he is recovered before we try and feed him up at all, just in case.

She also looked at his toothies, doesnt need anything doing yet but he may need a tear duct flush to sort his eye out, but she doesnt want to stress him out any more at the moment.

I am pleased about all this as the last vet had me panicking a little that there was something more sinister going on.

Kenco is doing a lot better, his urine problems are on and off and as he is well in himself, she didnt feel the need to stress him out by doing more bloods today, particularly as it was quite hard to get the blood out of him last time. She thinks it would be helpful to do the x-ray/ultrasound under GA in the new year, and can do any blood tests at the same time then.

I feel quite reassured by this but as he is 6 and a bit years old I am worried about any risk of the GA?

Apart from that I feel quite reassured for them.

I'm glad the appointments went well. All sounds very sensible and reassuring to me too. I hope they both feel better soon. xx

p.s. 6yr old having a GA will be fine, as long as he's in good health he'll sail through it I promise x:wave:

Just a little update on Muesli and Kenco who have both been to the vets today.

The vet said that Muesli's bottom is looking better and his urine scald is healing too - she said the antibiotics would be helping with this even if its not a UTI, so thats good. She has given us another 2-weeks worth of antibiotics to really try and sort it. We are going to continue with the Lapizole for possible EC too. She said that his tummy feels fine, so his slippery poos are down to the antibiotics and she said the probiotic may help, but to expect them to be funny while he is on the meds. We'll wait to see how these two treatments pan out as to whether he needs any other tests or investigations. Fingers crossed this will sort it. Muesli does seem to be a bit on the thin side, quite possibly as a result of the infections, but she said wait until he is recovered before we try and feed him up at all, just in case.

She also looked at his toothies, doesnt need anything doing yet but he may need a tear duct flush to sort his eye out, but she doesnt want to stress him out any more at the moment.

I am pleased about all this as the last vet had me panicking a little that there was something more sinister going on.

Kenco is doing a lot better, his urine problems are on and off and as he is well in himself, she didnt feel the need to stress him out by doing more bloods today, particularly as it was quite hard to get the blood out of him last time. She thinks it would be helpful to do the x-ray/ultrasound under GA in the new year, and can do any blood tests at the same time then.

I feel quite reassured by this but as he is 6 and a bit years old I am worried about any risk of the GA?

Apart from that I feel quite reassured for them.

Aaah so glad their check up went well :D have had to re schedule mine to Sat as the vet she saw last wk is poorly and the one I want is not in until then.

Keep us updated.:D

I've been reading & following this thread with interest but not posted up until now as I had nothing useful to add. I still don't :oops::roll::lol: but wanted to say that I'm pleased that things are improving and that you feel reassured by the vet. Having a savvy vet makes the world of difference :)

Thank you Vicky, Lildebs and Jenny Fluffers for your comments and support. We are much more reassured about our boys now, I am so glad they have seen our bunny vet and that she thinks things are ticking over ok and no great emergencies at the moment.

I will no doubt be worrying again when its time for Kenco to have his GA, so thanks for the reassurance on that front too Vicky!

:)

So pleased you had reassuring news about both bunnies today, and hope they will both make full recoveries. I have no direct experience of mature buns, but I know several of the elderly Rainbow Rabbits have come through GAs.

So pleased you had reassuring news about both bunnies today, and hope they will both make full recoveries. I have no direct experience of mature buns, but I know several of the elderly Rainbow Rabbits have come through GAs.

Thank you Susie, thats reassuring too. :)

I'm sorry Helen I totally missed this :oops: Just wanted to say I'm glad both boys are doing better & that things continue to improve for them :)

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much about Kenco's age for a GA - we've had several bunnies aged 5+ have GA's for one thing or another & they've been fine :) Your vet sounds like they're totally bunny savvy, so Kenco will be in good hands :)

Give them both big snuggles from me xxx

Back