• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Muesli - Urine Problems and Other Things....U/D post 42

I'm sorry Helen I totally missed this :oops: Just wanted to say I'm glad both boys are doing better & that things continue to improve for them :)

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much about Kenco's age for a GA - we've had several bunnies aged 5+ have GA's for one thing or another & they've been fine :) Your vet sounds like they're totally bunny savvy, so Kenco will be in good hands :)

Give them both big snuggles from me xxx

Ah thank you Denise, that is very reassuring too. The main thing is that both bunnies are in extremely fine spirits, and you cant ask for too much more than that can you?! :D

Thanks for the snuggles, will pass them on and I am sure they will be gratefully received. xx

Muesli had seemed to get better over the last few days, urinating outside of their pen much less and his leg that he had hurt seemed to be better too.

Tonight when we picked him up for his syringe meds, we noticed that he was completely urine soiled again and also urine scalded :cry::cry::cry: worse than before :cry:

We rang the out of hours vets because to be honest I didnt know how best to clear him up - whether to use any antibacterial shampoo and whether we could do it properly :oops::oops: For the first time I really felt like I couldnt be a proper bunny mummy :oops::cry: as I was so worried about hurting him more/stressing him out/not being able to clean him sufficiently/not being able to dry him sufficiently etc.

We spent an hour cleaning him up, we did it as the vet nurse advised us, by half submerging his back end in a basin of lukewarm water, quite a lot of the urine did seem to come off but a lot of his fur is quite matted as well. She advised us NOT to use the shampoo because it might sting him more and then to dry him off and then put vaseline on to soothe and protect his skin. It took ages to dry him and naturally he was very stressed. We did as much as we could by towel and cool hairdryer. I hope this was ok :oops:

We are continuing with the Lapizole, Baytril and he has Loxicom drops as well. The vet opens again on Wednesday morning so he will be straight back up there then, unless anything gets any worse in the meantime. :cry: We have put some nice soft vet bed in and a towel.

I really want him to be better, I dont know how to make it alright for him. If anyone has any more thoughts I would appreciate it. We might ask for Marbocyl, as I have been told that has worked for urine infections, but we still have some Baytril left for now.

Thanks for reading.

Poor Muesli and poor you guys having this worry over Xmas :cry:

I agree totally that plain water is all that is needed to dissolve urine, it is very water soluble, and any chemicals will likely just irritate his skin. Sudocrem can also be used instead of vaseline if he is very sore.

I really hope he feels better soon and your vet can help with this infection. A change of abx may be necessary, as may reassessing any gait issues that might be underlying this :? Good luck x

Poor Muesli and poor you guys having this worry over Xmas :cry:

I agree totally that plain water is all that is needed to dissolve urine, it is very water soluble, and any chemicals will likely just irritate his skin. Sudocrem can also be used instead of vaseline if he is very sore.

I really hope he feels better soon and your vet can help with this infection. A change of abx may be necessary, as may reassessing any gait issues that might be underlying this :? Good luck x

Thank you Vicky, I really appreciate it and it is reassuring to know we did the right thing by just batheing him in water. It did help a lot.

I could have sworn we had some Sudocrem but we couldnt find it, so we have used the vaseline, which the nurse said would help, we will be going out for Sudocrem in the morning as he does seem very sore in places :cry:

I know its just common sense but I worry so much about potentially making it worse/more sore by rubbing with the towel to dry him, the hairdryer took ages too....I'm not so good at keeping calm either, I'm a worrier :oops::oops:

I hope he is soon better too Vicky, thanks so much. x

You're doing fine stop worrying :) xx

In terms of creams, you just need a barrier cream, something that is an emolient and protects the skin from the alkalinity of his urine and the dampness of course. I honestly don't know what is best but guess that zinc oxide (sudocrem is pretty ok) as would vaseline as it is just petroleum jelly/paraffin wax. I suppose you could use aqueous cream or even zinc and castor oil nappy balm :? Hopefully someone with more experience will tell you what works best for rabbits and this sort of condition, I have no personal experience sorry :oops: but would just use as little as possible of anything to reduce risk of irritation. Zinc is naturally antibacterial and a good healing element so this is why sudocrem can help.

You're doing fine stop worrying :) xx

In terms of creams, you just need a barrier cream, something that is an emolient and protects the skin from the alkalinity of his urine and the dampness of course. I honestly don't know what is best but guess that zinc oxide (sudocrem is pretty ok) as would vaseline as it is just petroleum jelly/paraffin wax. I suppose you could use aqueous cream or even zinc and castor oil nappy balm :? Hopefully someone with more experience will tell you what works best for rabbits and this sort of condition, I have no personal experience sorry :oops: but would just use as little as possible of anything to reduce risk of irritation. Zinc is naturally antibacterial and a good healing element so this is why sudocrem can help.

Thanks for this, I think Sudocrem was recommended on the Rabbit Welfare Association website as well, so I think we will go for that...its pretty easy to get hold of as well. x

I've only just caught up Helen, as I've not been on over the last few days - really sorry to hear you're having a worrying time with Museli :( Poor little lad :(

We used to use a very diluted hibiscrub in warm water to bathe Amelia - just a few drops & like you had to submerge her back end in a bowl. I then used to towel dry her as much as possible before letting her dry off at the side of a radiator.

We used to use dermasol cream from the vets which was very soothing & helped reduce inflamation. I used to find that clipping the fur round Amelia's bottom & her back legs helped - it meant that there was less fur to dry when we'd bathed her.

Another thing we tried was propalin drops from the vets - it did help reduce the incontinence for a while with her, but I guess it depends on the cause of the incontinence. We knew with Amelia it was her spondylosis that was causing the problems.

Lots & lots of vibes for Museli - really hope your little fella is doing ok xxx

Thank you Denise. Unfortunately we dont have any hibiscrub, we only had an antibacterial shampoo, but the vet nurse said not to use it as it could irritate him, so we just used the warm water, it was surprising how much came off with just the water. We may look for some hibiscrub when we go tomorrow. Thank you.

He seems a bit better today which is good news. Should we bathe him every day or just see how he gets on?

He will be up to the vets tomorrow so they may clip some of his fur for him. It was all up his legs and everything, poor little chap.

Thank you for the advice about the cream and the drops, we will mention the drops to the vet too. We still dont really know what is causing the incontinence :( But he's only about two to two and a half weeks into his course of EC treatment, I dont know if they will suggest further tests for him in the new year, I guess they'll want us to finish his EC treatment first. I need to work out what day he is on as we will need to bleach their stuff soon.

Thanks for all the advice and info and support, I really appreciate it, I do worry. xxx

I'm glad Museli is a bit better today :)

I think I'd just take each day as it comes with him, he might not need bathing everyday - if it's only a small amount of uring, I'd be tempted to perhaps sponge him down with water & dry him off. I'm sure I've read somewhere (although for the life of me can't remember where :oops:) that cornflower is good for dry bathing them, as it helps lift the urine out.

I guess they will want him to finish his EC treatment first like you say & then take things from there in the new year.

I can't remember if you've mentioned this before :oops: but does Museli adopt the right stance for weeing? I'm wondering if he might have a bit of arthritis, which is causing him not to be able to wee right?

Sue (Hunnybunny2007) has experience too with urine bunnies as she has to bathe Digby regularly because of his problems - might be worth dropping Sue a pm to see if she can offer any more advice :)

Thank you again :) Muesli is looking better tonight. I think what might have happened is that he wee'd yesterday underneath the hay rack, and as there is no litter or hay there, that he sat in it for a bit eating hay, and that this is why he was particularly bad yesterday. Of course as soon as we noticed the urine we cleaned it up but not sure how long it had been there for. Anyway there is now a lovely big piece of vet bed underneath the hay rack and he hasnt wee'd there at all today. We have also placed some lovely big soft towels down so that there is more dry and soft and absorbent places for him. It seems to have helped, today at least, and he has only wee'd once or twice outside of the litter tray.

Maybe yesterday was just a particularly bad day for no particular reason :?

Yes we have considered arthritis - it was suggested by Prettlupin as well - and he doesnt seem to lift himself up and angle away quite like the other buns do but we have seen him do it in the last few days, so I think he is able to. He is also very agile, jumping up on to things. Then again he is on pain relief daily now for his leg so he may feel more able to do that at the moment because of that, the leg could be part of arthritis and also he has "failed" to jump up on to the sofa a few times - its so sad to watch him slip down the edge of the sofa, his poor pride gets dented. But then other times he manages it no problems....so I guess that the jury is out on the arthritis :?:oops:

I just hope we can get to the bottom of whatever it is and get him on the right treatment or at least work out what we need to do to keep him comfortable and happy. Well he is comfortable and happy :) but I mean long-term :)

Keeping up vibes for Muesli - I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge or experience to do more than that. :wave:

Just caught up with this, so sorry he's still having problems poor boy, but you're doing all you can, although you may feel a little dis heartened at his little set backs, but you're doing a great job!
Sending nose rubs for Muesli.

Just caught up with this, so sorry he's still having problems poor boy, but you're doing all you can, although you may feel a little dis heartened at his little set backs, but you're doing a great job!
Sending nose rubs for Muesli.

I'd echo this Helen - it's hard not to get down when you've a poorly bun, but you're doing all you can for Museli.

Hope Museli is doing ok this morning & that you go on ok at the vets xxx

Thank you everyone. Sorry I got disheartened on Monday :oops:

He is a lot better today, and he has been to the vet. We are not changing anything with his meds, but we had to go to get more Lapizole anyway. The vet checked him over and said that he is looking alright underneath today, she didnt need to do anything to him and just said to continue doing what we are doing, we are doing all the right things and as long as he is comfortable, clean, dry and happy in himself then that is fine.

We are to see the antibiotics and lapizole out, then she said to see how he is at the end, give him several days without any meds, but if there is no improvement to take him back.

She said that some UTIs can be particularly stubborn. So we will just keep going along as we were. I think it was just Monday I couldnt understand why things had got so bad and I felt useless for not even being able to think through the most simplest of things for myself :oops: but its good to know we did everything right and just carry on like this for him.

Thanks for your support guys :wave:

It's good to hear he is doing better Helen! I am 100% sure he is with the right Bunny Mummy to take care of him - you are doing a wonderful job. I know what it is like taking care of poorly buns and you sometimes wonder if you are doing the best for them, but you absolutely are! xx

It's good to hear he is doing better Helen! I am 100% sure he is with the right Bunny Mummy to take care of him - you are doing a wonderful job. I know what it is like taking care of poorly buns and you sometimes wonder if you are doing the best for them, but you absolutely are! xx

Thank you Alison :oops::oops: That is very reassuring to hear :wave: We did mention about the Marbocyl you mentioned to me, but the vet says to see how the rest of the Baytril goes for now. I do really appreciate your advice, and everyone's advice. It makes it so much easier knowing you arent alone and that the feelings you have are normal too :oops:

Back