• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hollie has an Abscess, Good update P61

Well Hollie is booked in for X-rays, cleaning out of the abscess and a swab/culture of the bacteria inside on Wednesday.

The vet didn't want to give me any other abx just now in case it affected the culture that they take on Wednesday, but said that I can start penicillin injections on wednesday if I want and then we can change it over to another abx if the culture results come back with a different outcome.

She is still being very picky with her food, but eating wee bits here and there, but the abscess is bigger than it was, so must be annoying her.

On another note, does anyone know is Manuka Honey goes out of date? I have had some for about 2 years in the honey tub, in a bag, in a tin and in a cupboard. Not sure if you can still use it.

Well Hollie is booked in for X-rays, cleaning out of the abscess and a swab/culture of the bacteria inside on Wednesday.

The vet didn't want to give me any other abx just now in case it affected the culture that they take on Wednesday, but said that I can start penicillin injections on wednesday if I want and then we can change it over to another abx if the culture results come back with a different outcome.

She is still being very picky with her food, but eating wee bits here and there, but the abscess is bigger than it was, so must be annoying her.

On another note, does anyone know is Manuka Honey goes out of date? I have had some for about 2 years in the honey tub, in a bag, in a tin and in a cupboard. Not sure if you can still use it.

I hope the X-rays show some useful info ... Poor wee thing with a big abscess. Still not for long xx

Re manuka honey ... has it been opened? If not, you can see the 'use by' date and judge (though obviously things last a lot longer than they actually say)

I keep mine in the fridge, when opened. I would use it after a couple of years kept opened in those conditions. Opened and not in the fridge, I would probably buy some fresh. I know it's expensive though ...

I don't believe it would do any harm though, and indeed any honey would do *some* good.

Thanks MM. I am probably thinking that I will just buy some more, it has been opened, aye....whats another £25 when you are already paying about £400 - lol!

Thanks MM. I am probably thinking that I will just buy some more, it has been opened, aye....whats another £25 when you are already paying about £400 - lol!

Yes you're right ..... Have the other stuff on your morning toast, or with whisky when you've got a sore throat :D

On another note, does anyone know is Manuka Honey goes out of date? I have had some for about 2 years in the honey tub, in a bag, in a tin and in a cupboard. Not sure if you can still use it

The UMF of Manuka Honey is temperature insensitive so it does not need to be kept in the fridge. If it is refrigerated it will start to crystalise, the lower the fridge temperature the quicker the crystalisation will occur. Whilst crystalisation does not lessen the efficacy of the antibacterial properties of the Honey it does make it a bit tricky to use as a wound packing. As long as the Honey has been stored in an air tight jar and good 'no contamination' measures are taken each time some honey is taken from the jar then it should be fine to use until the date indicated on the jar.

Sending vibes for Hollie's op' tomorrow xx

Sorry have only just seen this, poor Hollie :( Hope things goes well tomorrow and you get some answers.

Lots of vibes for Hollie and to you.

My Molly had a huge abscess on her face.
Took 2 ops to get rid and then lots of Manuka honey.
Has had dental 's since at least 5 a year.

Hope Hollie recovers quickly.:wave:

Turns out I will be using the 'old' Manuka for a day or two....In my ignorance I thought that I would just walk into Holland & Barratt and get high UMF Manuka, but no, it has all changed. H&B only do up to UMF 15+ and its £42.99 for a 250g jar!!!

So after LOADS of reading up on the new UMF / MGO / Active rubbish I have managed to order a UMF 20+ online for £20 delivered, but I probably won't get it until Friday, so old honey it is for a couple of days.

I did also come across the fact that Scottish Heather Honey is meant to be quite good at killing bacteria.

Turns out I will be using the 'old' Manuka for a day or two....In my ignorance I thought that I would just walk into Holland & Barratt and get high UMF Manuka, but no, it has all changed. H&B only do up to UMF 15+ and its £42.99 for a 250g jar!!!

So after LOADS of reading up on the new UMF / MGO / Active rubbish I have managed to order a UMF 20+ online for £20 delivered, but I probably won't get it until Friday, so old honey it is for a couple of days.

I did also come across the fact that Scottish Heather Honey is meant to be quite good at killing bacteria.

Most honey has good antimicrobial properties. Honey that's been opened is no longer sterile, so if not kept in the fridge (even with good UMF) it will deteriorate. So I had it explained by the Aussie manufacturer years ago.

Better use old honey than no honey ...... good luck xx

Most honey has good antimicrobial properties. Honey that's been opened is no longer sterile, so if not kept in the fridge (even with good UMF) it will deteriorate. So I had it explained by the Aussie manufacturer years ago.

By deteriorate, do you think it would be reduction in UMF or just completely be useless? I could just buy a jar of the Scottish Heather Honey from Sainsburys if that would be a better 'in the meantime' option.

By deteriorate, do you think it would be reduction in UMF or just completely be useless? I could just buy a jar of the Scottish Heather Honey from Sainsburys if that would be a better 'in the meantime' option.

Personally I'd use the Manuka Honey you already have :) Generally speaking Manuka Honey has a shelf life of 4 years if kept in an air tight sterile jar at an ambient temperature of 18c-22c. Below that will not lessen the UMH factor, but heating above that will. That's why Manuka Honey should not be heated to make it more 'runny' if it crystalises from being in the fridge.

Sending lots of vibes for Hollie's op' today xx

Thanks people :)

I am a nervous wreck just now, taking her in for 8am. I keep thinking silly things as to whether I am making the right decision putting her through a wee op / GA, I know I am, I know that she can't continue to have the abscess, but you just question yourself over everything!

All the good vibes I can muster for a successful op and recovery for Hollie. ((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))) xxxx

If I had kept a jar of unopened manuka honey at room temperature and it was within a year of it's 'use by' date, then I would certainly use it, as it will be sterile.

If it's been opened and sitting around in fluctuating temperatures for a fair while, I would buy fresh unopened to use in the meantime. The UMF may still be potent, but from what I was told, it's the fact that it's been opened and no longer sterile (which you'd be packing into the wound) that would be the issue.

Good luck for the op today - wishing you a million good vibes xx

When Peter had an abscess the vet prescribed Activon medical grade manuka honey. It comes in a little tube and the instructions say to discard it 30 days after opening. The vets charged me a small fortune for it but I found you could pick up a tube for around delivered £4 on eBay.

Back