• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit first aid kit?

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
I'm putting together a bunny first aid kit, in preparation for next months spaying, what items do I need please? I only have nail clippers, a towel and some bunny grooming items.... none of which are really for first aid :?:?

In mine I have an assortment of syringes that the vets gave me at one time or another; recovery food and an unopened packet of carrot ella's kitchen baby food (for syringe feeding); infacol in case they have gas; any spare medication which is still in date; assorted cotton buds/cotton wool; scissors to cut up cotton wool etc; their weighing scales and a box to weigh them with (although I keep it separate since it's much bigger!); milton to disinfect syringes etc; flannels; towels for burrito-ing. I don't cut N&T's claws as they wear them down enough, but I know that some people who do trim claws at home keep corn starch to pop on the claw if they cut too far and cause a bleed. I also will be keeping whatever saline/F10 is left over from Nena's abscess flushing, to be able to use in the future if she has any very minor scrapes or something that don't need veterinary attention. She's never had anything like that before but I'll keep it just in case!

My first aid kit is reflective of the fact that the only medical treatment my two have needed is emergency treatment and syringe feeding for stasis, and Nena's long term jaw abscess problems. I guess if you have a bunny that has sore hocks etc, you'll need wraps and other assorted paraphernalia to allow you to treat that. :D

I'd say that unless your bun has any previous problems, only having the basics should be fine. I only had a very basic kit when N&T hadn't had any stasis episodes - it just grows as you find things that might come in handy. I only have recovery food because I bought a big tub due to Nena's illness, and the same with the syringes. I wouldn't go out and buy either if I didn't have any reason for them. The only things I might add to yours is the corn starch or styptic powder for cutting the claws... and then for the spaying, an old towel or two for burrito-ing to give medicine and one little packet of baby food in case you need to syringe feed her for a little while. Mixing the recovery powder with baby food makes it easier to syringe in my experience, but that's always something you can pick up at the time. She's more than likely to not need syringe feeding though, and medicine can be administered without a burrito!

I of course wouldn't administer any medication without consulting a vet, or syringe feed without having my rabbit seen by a vet.

Last edited:
Thanks, I already had some items in my human and cat first aid kits, but have ordered most of the things listed on those two threads which I didn't have, bank account is much, much lighter now.

Back