• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucky Bum - chronic caecal dysbiosis - Twinkle U/D 22/2/11 - Dental.

All clear again :D

:thumb:

Not sure about straw - it's pretty indigestible and nutritionally deficient so I would just use loads of it for insulation and then a layer of hay on top so she eats that instead. I don't think eating the straw will be a problem but I can't see her eating it in preference to hay anyway. :wave:

:thumb:

Not sure about straw - it's pretty indigestible and nutritionally deficient so I would just use loads of it for insulation and then a layer of hay on top so she eats that instead. I don't think eating the straw will be a problem but I can't see her eating it in preference to hay anyway. :wave:

Well I got another bale yesterday so have a bale and a half of hay so will stick to that (dont want to risk anything).

Twinkle hardly comes near when I come to the door to give veggies and pellets to Sparkle :( She sits at the back sulking cos she knows I not giving her anything :(

Well I got another bale yesterday so have a bale and a half of hay so will stick to that (dont want to risk anything).

Twinkle hardly comes near when I come to the door to give veggies and pellets to Sparkle :( She sits at the back sulking cos she knows I not giving her anything :(

I would find something you can give her as a treat as well at the same time so she doesn't miss out, or take Sparkle away out of her sight to feed separately. A bag of dried dandelion/plantain (from hayexperts) would suffice and not uspet her tummy - you could give her a few of those and she then wouldn't feel left out. :)

I would find something you can give her as a treat as well at the same time so she doesn't miss out, or take Sparkle away out of her sight to feed separately. A bag of dried dandelion/plantain (from hayexperts) would suffice and not uspet her tummy - you could give her a few of those and she then wouldn't feel left out. :)

Can I start giving her a few dried bits now? Oh that's good news... :D

Just ordered:

1 x Bunny Nature Alpine Meadow Hay : 3kg
In stock 0.0% £17.45
1 x Coneflower
In stock 17.5% £2.29
1 x Coltsfoot
In stock 17.5% £2.00
1 x Plantain
In stock 17.5% £1.99
1 x Dandelion
In stock 17.5% £1.99

The hay is Twinkle's favourite special hay :love: and I will try her on the dried stuff too. Shall I try one at a time in case anything upsets her or will dried food be ok?

Just ordered:

1 x Bunny Nature Alpine Meadow Hay : 3kg
In stock 0.0% £17.45
1 x Coneflower
In stock 17.5% £2.29
1 x Coltsfoot
In stock 17.5% £2.00
1 x Plantain
In stock 17.5% £1.99
1 x Dandelion
In stock 17.5% £1.99

The hay is Twinkle's favourite special hay :love: and I will try her on the dried stuff too. Shall I try one at a time in case anything upsets her or will dried food be ok?

Wow lucky buns! :D

Normally I would say no need as dried herbs rarely cause upset BUT Twinkle has had dysbiosis for years, she will still be very sensitive to change esp as she's only been clean for a few days so I would really only try one new herb packet at a time once every 2-3 days just to begin with. If she is fine with them all after a week or two then you can give daily and some of each. I put all of them in a big paper bag and shake it up and then put a handful on top of their hay in their litter tray each day (twice a day most days too) :D:wave:

ETA watch the coltsfoot in particular - not sure why but i 'think' we had some issues with Poppy with this when first started it, she's fine with it now. She's very sensitive to excess caecs like Twinkle. I'd try the dandelion and plantain first as both are astringents so should be the safest.

Wow lucky buns! :D

Normally I would say no need as dried herbs rarely cause upset BUT Twinkle has had dysbiosis for years, she will still be very sensitive to change esp as she's only been clean for a few days so I would really only try one new herb packet at a time once every 2-3 days just to begin with. If she is fine with them all after a week or two then you can give daily and some of each. I put all of them in a big paper bag and shake it up and then put a handful on top of their hay in their litter tray each day (twice a day most days too) :D:wave:

ETA watch the coltsfoot in particular - not sure why but i 'think' we had some issues with Poppy with this when first started it, she's fine with it now. She's very sensitive to excess caecs like Twinkle. I'd try the dandelion and plantain first as both are astringents so should be the safest.

OK i do one bag at a time with some of her special hay as a treat :love:

Do you know anywhere that sells larger bags of dried stuff as I can imagine getting through those little bags in no time :lol:

OK i do one bag at a time with some of her special hay as a treat :love:

Do you know anywhere that sells larger bags of dried stuff as I can imagine getting through those little bags in no time :lol:

No sorry. I buy about 3x each bag of pretty much every variety (costs me a fortune! :roll:) and even then it only lasts until the next hayexperts order. I'm sure Lisa (hayexperts) must think I have an entire warren of bunnies... nope just two little ones! :lol:

Galens Gardens also now does larger bags of dried herbs but these I would definitely introduce a lot slower and maybe even not just yet, despite my buns being very used to home dried and shop bought dried herbs they have caused Poppy a little bit of upset (not sure which as I do just bung a whole load in together). Hers are very fresh still if you know what I mean. However you can never go wrong with blackberry/bramble or raspberry leaf dried or fresh as these are great astringents renound for clearing up scours (the old term for excess dysbiotic caecotrophs). Galens does do a wonderful selection though and mine love her herbs.
I also pick and dry my own which the buns love - we do apple, plantain, dandelion, willow and hazel here as that's all I can get my hands on locally and on the allotment I share.

No sorry. I buy about 3x each bag of pretty much every variety (costs me a fortune! :roll:) and even then it only lasts until the next hayexperts order. I'm sure Lisa (hayexperts) must think I have an entire warren of bunnies... nope just two little ones! :lol:

Galens Gardens also now does larger bags of dried herbs but these I would definitely introduce a lot slower and maybe even not just yet, despite my buns being very used to home dried and shop bought dried herbs they have caused Poppy a little bit of upset (not sure which as I do just bung a whole load in together). Hers are very fresh still if you know what I mean. However you can never go wrong with blackberry/bramble or raspberry leaf dried or fresh as these are great astringents renound for clearing up scours (the old term for excess dysbiotic caecotrophs). Galens does do a wonderful selection though and mine love her herbs.
I also pick and dry my own which the buns love - we do apple, plantain, dandelion, willow and hazel here as that's all I can get my hands on locally and on the allotment I share.

I will give her a few dried bramble leaves tonight.. I have some I have saved from the summer... will see if that affects her at all. Thank you x

Day 10

All clear... the few bramble leaves she ate last night have not made a difference... she seems to not want them this morning, but is tucking into her hay like a good girl..

I will offer bramble leaves over the next couple of days only and if this has no bad side effects, I will then try her on dried dandelion for a few days.

Yay :D

BTW well done fluffiebunnie you are doing very well - very strong bunny mum! :thumb: Many would have given into the begging bunny face and their guilt by now, you're doing really really well. :)

Yay :D

BTW well done fluffiebunnie you are doing very well - very strong bunny mum! :thumb: Many would have given into the begging bunny face and their guilt by now, you're doing really really well. :)

Thank you :oops:

I admit it is very hard. She is my "special girl" :love: She loves her food and it is impossible to not feel bad when I am witholding food from her, but the fact she has a fluffy white bottom (instead of stained and mucky) and there are no splats all over the playhouse proves I am doing the right thing.

As soon as the new dried food arrives from the Hay Experts I will feel a bit better as I know she loves the dried dandelion and plantain..

I couldnt of done this without your advice/support though, so THANK YOU!

No worries :D I've been through it so I know. I should think that Twinkle is feeling much better in herself as well, can't be nice having an icky tummy when you think about it, Poppy definitely feels unwell whenever she gets an upset tum and I know if my tummy is upset it doesn't feel too nice. I'm so impressed at how quickly her tum has cleared up - amazing! :D

Day 11

Another good day.

Hoping my Hay Experts order will arrive so she can have some dried dandelion. She doesnt like my dried brambles :lol:

Wow what an interesting read, im sure it will be invaluable to people with mucky bum buns :D
Its amazing how quickly PL's excellent advise has made a difference to Twinkle :shock: Im so pleased for you both and hope she continues to improve :D:wave:
PL to the rescue! :love:

:wave: Hi fluffiebunnie. You're doing great. :D
It's a very good sign that she doesn't want her brambles. Bunnies eat the natural foods they need, so it means that the bacteria in her caecum are more normal now. It's just getting through this next stage of getting nutrients into her without setting off the dysbiosis again now, & you're home & dry. Hoping your order arrives soon like today!

Back