• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could Sophie get some vibes? Another dental

Raven used to bite the stalky hay in little pieces, though little got eaten. I got him the soft timothy and he ate a little. Before that I got botanical hay which was a mix of softer timothy and herbs, though not sure what part he was eating.
I think stalky hay has more seedheads which is Heidi's favorite part. We pick all the seedheads out of Amber and Zorro's hay and give them to Heidi! They get some pellets for sharing!
Sending vibes that Sophie continues to enjoy some hay.

Raven used to bite the stalky hay in little pieces, though little got eaten. I got him the soft timothy and he ate a little. Before that I got botanical hay which was a mix of softer timothy and herbs, though not sure what part he was eating.
I think stalky hay has more seedheads which is Heidi's favorite part. We pick all the seedheads out of Amber and Zorro's hay and give them to Heidi! They get some pellets for sharing!
Sending vibes that Sophie continues to enjoy some hay.
Aw, yes, that's what Sophie did when her mouth was hurting, too, just biting it into little pieces, but not really eating it. I mix herbs through their hay, too, so I know what you mean by not being sure what part Raven was eating.
It's so sweet that Heidi gets all the seedheads in the house because she loves them so much. Sophie and Casper don't care for seedheads, so I'm sure they'd be happy to give theirs to Heidi, too!
Thank you for the vibes. She's still only eating a little bit of hay, some days more than others. At her last check up, the vet said she couldn't see a wound in her mouth, so it must've healed by now, so I'm not sure why she's still not really wanting hay.

This morning I sent the vets a message to ask if a vet can take a look at Sophie when she's there on Friday for her laser therapy because she's still barely eating hay, and I think Sophie found out, because she's been having her best hay eating day in weeks. 🤣 She's even eating her stalky hay. 😍

This morning I sent the vets a message to ask if a vet can take a look at Sophie when she's there on Friday for her laser therapy because she's still barely eating hay, and I think Sophie found out, because she's been having her best hay eating day in weeks. 🤣 She's even eating her stalky hay. 😍
Ahh isn't it always like this? 😂😂
But I'm so glad Sophie is eating hay, I keep sending vibes for Sophie 🩷🩷🩷

Thank you, bunny momma and Babsie. 😊

Her better hay-eating day really was only one day, as the next day she was back to barely eating any. On Friday the vet couldn't find anything to explain it, but she put Sophie back on extra medication for the weekend to see if it would help. It didn't, so today Sophie had another skull x-ray and the vet took a better look in her mouth while she was sedated. The vet noticed the first upper molar on the right was loose (it was the second upper molar on the right that was removed last time) and while poking at that one the third upper molar on the right just... fell out. The vet removed the first molar as well, so poor Sophie is now missing three molars in total, all next to each other. The vet did say that where the tooth was removed last time has healed well, and that it's likely Sophie's age causing all these loose teeth. I do really hope she won't lose more. ☹️ She has already eaten some hay since we got back home, though, so that's promising.

so pleased she's home & doing well. I hope thats it now & she'll have no more loose teeth. What a brave girlie :love:

Oh bless her, poor Sophie, but eating some hay since she lost another two is good news. I hope she can now keep the rest, and not have any more dental issues x

More Sophie vibes. I hope she remains well, even if she isn't able to eat much or any hay .

Rabbit dentistry was FHB fave topic & since Ruth learnt all her rabbity stuff from working with her I shall take the opportunity to quiz her about older bunnies & reluctance to eat hay, when I'm there next week. Boo still doesnt eat much of it all

I am sorry Sophie had more dental issues, yet it is good to know this is now sorted and she has a great chance of healing well like she did with the first tooth.

Sending good eating vibes for your beautiful brave girl. Hugs to you too. Bunnies can be such a worry.

More Sophie vibes. I hope she remains well, even if she isn't able to eat much or any hay .

Rabbit dentistry was FHB fave topic & since Ruth learnt all her rabbity stuff from working with her I shall take the opportunity to quiz her about older bunnies & reluctance to eat hay, when I'm there next week. Boo still doesnt eat much of it all
Thank you. It doesn't seem to have helped with her hay eating, but at least we know why she's having trouble and she has those troublesome teeth out.

I'd be interested to hear what Ruth says. I'm sorry Boo still isn't eating much hay, either.

I am sorry Sophie had more dental issues, yet it is good to know this is now sorted and she has a great chance of healing well like she did with the first tooth.

Sending good eating vibes for your beautiful brave girl. Hugs to you too. Bunnies can be such a worry.
Thank you, bunny momma. Hopefully she'll heal well from these two removed teeth as well. You're definitely right that bunnies can be such a worry.

Sophie stopped eating and was in pain Sunday evening, so we took her to the emergency vet. She felt a bit better after that, but yesterday afternoon she got worse again, so we went to our regular vet, and both he and the emergency vet think Sophie might have an infection where her teeth were removed. So, she's on antibiotics now. She's eating a bit on her own, mostly greens and softened pellets, and some dried forage. She's doing a little better today, so hopefully that means the antibiotics are starting to work. The vet said they would work pretty quickly. Poor Sophie's been having so much trouble with her teeth lately, I feel bad for her.

Oh poor Sophie, so sorry that she is having more problems bless her. Really hope that the abx get to work quickly, sounds like they are starting to make a difference. Give her a gentle nose rub from me xx

Oh Sophie :( She has been through alot recently but you always get her the best care straight away. Really pleased that the antibiotics seem to be working already. Loads of vibes for her continued improvement

Oh poor Sophie, so sorry that she is having more problems bless her. Really hope that the abx get to work quickly, sounds like they are starting to make a difference. Give her a gentle nose rub from me xx
Thank you for being sorry and for hoping, Pets mum. I'll pet her back for you; she likes that best. 🥰

Oh Sophie :( She has been through alot recently but you always get her the best care straight away. Really pleased that the antibiotics seem to be working already. Loads of vibes for her continued improvement
Aw, thank you for the vibes, j&b.

Back