• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*** Help

hi there..I feel for you..we, bunny parents would do anything for our bunnies..I am not a rabbit expert, im a new bunny mum here. All i can say are words of encouragement and empathy. Keep going..As long as you know your doing the right thing, surely your bunny will get well in due time..I will pray for his fast recovery.. :)

By the way, what could be the cause of this infection? how could the ear be infected? on what instances do they acquire this infection?

hi there..I feel for you..we, bunny parents would do anything for our bunnies..I am not a rabbit expert, im a new bunny mum here. All i can say are words of encouragement and empathy. Keep going..As long as you know your doing the right thing, surely your bunny will get well in due time..I will pray for his fast recovery.. :)

By the way, what could be the cause of this infection? how could the ear be infected? on what instances do they acquire this infection?
Thank you :rabbit2: SHe is my baby and i am doing everything i can to help her but our normal vet is booked and our emergency vet isnt a great rabbit vet... The infection ( from what the vet told me ) happend because of a bacteria or a parasite that is passed on through geneology... she says that every rabbit technically has it and it " grows" and just comes oiut when it comes out. nothing can " bring it on". Im not sure how the ear could be infected.. the vet never told me of that but again the vet were going to doesnt know too much about rabbits but from what i have read rabbits can get inner ear infections that brings on the loss of balance. They inquire " EC " ( i dont know how to write the full term) is passed on by breeding. WE rescued our rabbit and raised her since she was a baby. We found her as a baby in our Lavender bush in our yard, that is why we named her Lavender. :) SO we dont know where she came from.. shes had vet check ups but no one ever predicted this. SHe was a healthy vibrant rabbit full of love and hopefully she will get better soon. :?

Thank you :rabbit2: SHe is my baby and i am doing everything i can to help her but our normal vet is booked and our emergency vet isnt a great rabbit vet... The infection ( from what the vet told me ) happend because of a bacteria or a parasite that is passed on through geneology... she says that every rabbit technically has it and it " grows" and just comes oiut when it comes out. nothing can " bring it on". Im not sure how the ear could be infected.. the vet never told me of that but again the vet were going to doesnt know too much about rabbits but from what i have read rabbits can get inner ear infections that brings on the loss of balance. They inquire " EC " ( i dont know how to write the full term) is passed on by breeding. WE rescued our rabbit and raised her since she was a baby. We found her as a baby in our Lavender bush in our yard, that is why we named her Lavender. :) SO we dont know where she came from.. shes had vet check ups but no one ever predicted this. SHe was a healthy vibrant rabbit full of love and hopefully she will get better soon. :?

awww how cute...Lavender...she is so attached to you because aside from rescuing her, you raised her as well.. and about that infection,..uhmmm could it be a normal flora in rabbits and cause disease once it grows out of control..or could be that the bunny's immune system is challenged that the parasite took it as an opportunity to cause infection..it culd be an opportunistic bacteria/parasite...well, whatever it is, just keep it up..i mean, just continue making her feel comfortable..we are all here to support you..:) keep us posted about her progress...:)

Thank you

awww how cute...Lavender...she is so attached to you because aside from rescuing her, you raised her as well.. and about that infection,..uhmmm could it be a normal flora in rabbits and cause disease once it grows out of control..or could be that the bunny's immune system is challenged that the parasite took it as an opportunity to cause infection..it culd be an opportunistic bacteria/parasite...well, whatever it is, just keep it up..i mean, just continue making her feel comfortable..we are all here to support you..:) keep us posted about her progress...:)
Thank you :D SHe def. is a fighter :) you :love: you can tell she wants to get up and move and get better and eat... I will def. Keep you all posted about her progress. Everyone on this site has been so helpful especially because our vet is not a " rabbit vet " but you all have been so great providing me with information. :D

Thank you :D SHe def. is a fighter :) you :love: you can tell she wants to get up and move and get better and eat... I will def. Keep you all posted about her progress. Everyone on this site has been so helpful especially because our vet is not a " rabbit vet " but you all have been so great providing me with information. :D

I havent got any medical advice to give - i just wanted to wish you luck and send healing vibes for your little bunny. :love: Best of luck to you xxx

Hi :) Sending Lavender lots of get well vibes x

My Mopsy has EC at the moment, he does roll about but he can upright himself. He was such an active rabbit and very 'independent' but due to EC he isnt getting around much now. It is horrible to see :( Me & My hubby work full time so arent able to be with him during the day but we make sure he is comfy before we go.

As the others have said, make sure you keep her comfy with soft padded areas and just keep going with the meds.

My Mospy has had it for 1 week now but I understand it can be a long time before they get better.

Sending lots of vibes to you aswell

Coz

Hi! :wave:

My rabbit Zinzan has E. Cuniculi.

One day she just couldn't stand up - she would try but kept collapsing.

We treated with panacur and she recovered.

A year later - when she was 6 years old, I found her collapsed in her house. She was rolling over and desperately trying to stand up but she just kept falling into things. She must have felt so dizzy and sick. She couldn't eat because she couldn't find the food bowl.

I treated her with panacur again for about a month and I had to syringe feed her for a week. After the first week she could stand and find food but would keep falling over. She also lost her sight and bumped into everything and she had a bad head tilt.

She will be 9 in April 2011. Now Zinzan can navigate around familiar spaces and find her food and water (although she struggles with a food bowl so I put her food on the floor). She can find me for sultanas when I rattle the box. She still has a head tilt and is completely blind. Her face is wasted on one side because the muscles are paralysed. This makes her teeth all wonky and one eye bulges out. When you pick her up, her head flops over like a rag doll.

Zinzan is so sweet and so cheerful. She makes me laugh. She can now navigate her way through a tube which is really quite funny to watch since she's so wobbly and wonky. When she lies down she has to rest her wobbly head on something like a litter tray or Ted (her husbun) to be comfy.

There are still difficult days. She struggles to clean herself sometimes and I have to hose her down every so often. The good days out number the bad by a mile. The vet is always impressed at how far she's come and always says that most rabbits in her condition would have been pts by now. As long as she is happy I'll keep her going, it doesn't matter to me how much work it is to look after her (although atm she's not much more work than a "normal" bun).

I can not express how overjoyed I was to see her digging in her toilet for the first time a couple of weeks ago. She was properly digging and didn't fall over.

What I'm trying to say is that your bunny with EC will be hard work, but, if she manages to keep going you will be so proud. :)

Keep up the hard work!! (btw, Zinzan is the dutch in my avatar. That picture was taken a couple of years before she got sick)

Last edited:
Right now she is indoor 24/7 in a BG basket that is extremely padded and she is laying in ther. We have a little cat crate. should we padd that and let her be in there?
** The vet says to padd the crate and put only hay in the crate and let her be in there. BUT the problem is that when she rolls, she rolls until we stop her. but the vet says to let her roll because she is trying to correct herself but i dont want her to hurt herself.. and/or never stop rolling... :(

Have you got rolled up towels at the sides? This may help her and will stop her hitting herself there. I found Mischa rested his head on them. Unfortunately unless you are there 24-7 they're going to roll, the best thing is to make sure they can't hurt themselves.

Have you got rolled up towels at the sides? This may help her and will stop her hitting herself there. I found Mischa rested his head on them. Unfortunately unless you are there 24-7 they're going to roll, the best thing is to make sure they can't hurt themselves.
Yes we have towells on the sdes and lines the crate with foam....

Hi! :wave:

My rabbit Zinzan has E. Cuniculi.

One day she just couldn't stand up - she would try but kept collapsing.

We treated with panacur and she recovered.

A year later - when she was 6 years old, I found her collapsed in her house. She was rolling over and desperately trying to stand up but she just kept falling into things. She must have felt so dizzy and sick. She couldn't eat because she couldn't find the food bowl.

I treated her with panacur again for about a month and I had to syringe feed her for a week. After the first week she could stand and find food but would keep falling over. She also lost her sight and bumped into everything and she had a bad head tilt.

She will be 9 in April 2011. Now Zinzan can navigate around familiar spaces and find her food and water (although she struggles with a food bowl so I put her food on the floor). She can find me for sultanas when I rattle the box. She still has a head tilt and is completely blind. Her face is wasted on one side because the muscles are paralysed. This makes her teeth all wonky and one eye bulges out. When you pick her up, her head flops over like a rag doll.

Zinzan is so sweet and so cheerful. She makes me laugh. She can now navigate her way through a tube which is really quite funny to watch since she's so wobbly and wonky. When she lies down she has to rest her wobbly head on something like a litter tray or Ted (her husbun) to be comfy.

There are still difficult days. She struggles to clean herself sometimes and I have to hose her down every so often. The good days out number the bad by a mile. The vet is always impressed at how far she's come and always says that most rabbits in her condition would have been pts by now. As long as she is happy I'll keep her going, it doesn't matter to me how much work it is to look after her (although atm she's not much more work than a "normal" bun).

I can not express how overjoyed I was to see her digging in her toilet for the first time a couple of weeks ago. She was properly digging and didn't fall over.

What I'm trying to say is that your bunny with EC will be hard work, but, if she manages to keep going you will be so proud. :)

Keep up the hard work!! (btw, Zinzan is the dutch in my avatar. That picture was taken a couple of years before she got sick)
Thank you for the story :D I am already very proud of her she is def. a fighter!

Hi :) Sending Lavender lots of get well vibes x

My Mopsy has EC at the moment, he does roll about but he can upright himself. He was such an active rabbit and very 'independent' but due to EC he isnt getting around much now. It is horrible to see :( Me & My hubby work full time so arent able to be with him during the day but we make sure he is comfy before we go.

As the others have said, make sure you keep her comfy with soft padded areas and just keep going with the meds.

My Mospy has had it for 1 week now but I understand it can be a long time before they get better.

Sending lots of vibes to you aswell

Coz
Thank You! I hope Mopsy gets better :) Give him a snuggle for me :) :love:

Can I just say it is so nice to have someone new come on here and ask for advice AND LISTEN!! You obviously adore your rabbit and are doing whatever you can :D sending vibes for a healthy bunny xxx

Can I just say it is so nice to have someone new come on here and ask for advice AND LISTEN!! You obviously adore your rabbit and are doing whatever you can :D sending vibes for a healthy bunny xxx

Thakn you :) that is very sweet to say, i def. appreatiate all your advice :)

Final Update

:cry: :cry: We took Lavender to the vet today, the vet said that yes she was getting better and was better from the last time she say her ( fri october 29th) but that she was too sick. She said this was the worst case of EC shes ever seen. We had to put her down. SHe had a horendous eye infeection and was spinning uncontrolibly :( I am very sad. But I know she had a great life. We was well loved and went in peace to heaven. * cry cry *

:cry: :cry: We took Lavender to the vet today, the vet said that yes she was getting better and was better from the last time she say her ( fri october 29th) but that she was too sick. She said this was the worst case of EC shes ever seen. We had to put her down. SHe had a horendous eye infeection and was spinning uncontrolibly :( I am very sad. But I know she had a great life. We was well loved and went in peace to heaven. * cry cry *

I am so very sorry :cry:

Binky Free Lavender xx

Back