• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI stasis symptoms not going away

I'm also wondering why you have only been prescribed meds for a few days. GI stasis often needs at least a week's worth - and you have proven partial blockages, so I would hope for a much longer course of some of the meds (ie prokinetics & pain relief) until the issue is fully resolved. I would also be trying to increase the natural fibre in the diet as much as possible - which ideally would be hay / grass and cut out generic 'treats'.

I'm also wondering why you have only been prescribed meds for a few days. GI stasis often needs at least a week's worth - and you have proven partial blockages, so I would hope for a much longer course of some of the meds (ie prokinetics & pain relief) until the issue is fully resolved. I would also be trying to increase the natural fibre in the diet as much as possible - which ideally would be hay / grass and cut out generic 'treats'.

She has taken the medication again last month. Maybe the vet doesn’t want to overdo it with the meds.

I am not a vet, and as I do with myself when dealing with doctors, that’s what I do with vets as well. I find one that I trust, and follow his/her instructions.

After all there is no guarantee that we’ll stop the meds at the exact dates given. We’ll talk again with the vet in a couple of days, and see how it goes. Maybe she’ll tell us to prolong the medication.

I am trying to increase the natural fibers but there is not much I can do if she doesn’t eat a lot of hay. I can syringe feed the emeraid, but I cannot force her to eat more hay. At least I don’t know a way. If you have any idea please let me know.

I know you have been struggling with the grass / hay. There's no magic answer. If it was in the UK, I would be looking at alternatives such as fresh bramble leaves, and suitable tree leaves and branches (eg willow, apple, pear), which all have tougher fibre. I don't know if you have any similar options available. Sometimes they find it easier to eat from different heights or angles.

I know you have been struggling with the grass / hay. There's no magic answer. If it was in the UK, I would be looking at alternatives such as fresh bramble leaves, and suitable tree leaves and branches (eg willow, apple, pear), which all have tougher fibre. I don't know if you have any similar options available. Sometimes they find it easier to eat from different heights or angles.

No I don’t think I can find something like this.

She nibbles a bit on a dandelion and sage hay that I’ve tried but definitely not eating enough. But today for some reason she won’t eat any pellets at all. So we increased the emeraid syringe feeding.

As far as height and angles go, I have placed hay in many different spots, bowls, feeders etc. Plenty of options if she decides to eat.

Hello how is your bunny doing ?

Hello!

A lot of things happened in the past 20 days and I didn’t have time to post.

To make a long story short, her poop was getting smaller, the vet said that we prolong the medication for more days and continue giving the electrolytes every one hour.

We started having bad thoughts about whether the bunny was actually living or if it was in “life support” with the meds and electrolytes and the moment these stopped it would get worse immediately.

Our everyday life was ruined, we couldn’t even go to work since we had to be home to give the electrolytes with the syringe every single hour.

The good thing is, it paid off!!

This Thursday we went to the vet for an ultrasound to see if there was even a small improvement since the last time, with really low hopes.

Thank God the ultrasound came out clean!
No signs of stasis or inflammation!

So both the medication and all the effort we put (us and the bunny of course) brought the desirable results.

The vet asked us to relax and leave the bunny alone without even touching it for 3 days, so that it could overcome all the stress that it endured for a long period of time with us forcing her to drink water with the syringe and giving meds and massaging her belly etc.

The bunny gradually started drinking more and more water by itself, she has become even more active, she isn’t that picky with her hay (she still is, but not to the point she was before), her poop is getting larger and she is pooping more often.

So I believe we are on safe ground.

I am still stressed and scared that it may relapse, but I understand this is my problem to solve and not the bunny’s. I asked the vet if we should give more meds or continue with the syringe giving electrolytes just to make sure, and she explained to me that since the ultrasound came out clean, there is absolutely no reason to risk the bunny’s health with more meds and causing more stress by continuing the syringe thing. We just need to lay back, and give the bunny some time to relax as well and get back to her normal routine.

It’s a short time since Thursday, and I don’t know how many days I will need until I finally relax and say “we’re good”, so I’m just going to say that we are doing better every day.

I want to thank all of you for all the advice and support. It was a really hard time for us all and I really appreciate it!!!

Hello!

A lot of things happened in the past 20 days and I didn’t have time to post.

To make a long story short, her poop was getting smaller, the vet said that we prolong the medication for more days and continue giving the electrolytes every one hour.

We started having bad thoughts about whether the bunny was actually living or if it was in “life support” with the meds and electrolytes and the moment these stopped it would get worse immediately.

Our everyday life was ruined, we couldn’t even go to work since we had to be home to give the electrolytes with the syringe every single hour.

The good thing is, it paid off!!

This Thursday we went to the vet for an ultrasound to see if there was even a small improvement since the last time, with really low hopes.

Thank God the ultrasound came out clean!
No signs of stasis or inflammation!

So both the medication and all the effort we put (us and the bunny of course) brought the desirable results.

The vet asked us to relax and leave the bunny alone without even touching it for 3 days, so that it could overcome all the stress that it endured for a long period of time with us forcing her to drink water with the syringe and giving meds and massaging her belly etc.

The bunny gradually started drinking more and more water by itself, she has become even more active, she isn’t that picky with her hay (she still is, but not to the point she was before), her poop is getting larger and she is pooping more often.

So I believe we are on safe ground.

I am still stressed and scared that it may relapse, but I understand this is my problem to solve and not the bunny’s. I asked the vet if we should give more meds or continue with the syringe giving electrolytes just to make sure, and she explained to me that since the ultrasound came out clean, there is absolutely no reason to risk the bunny’s health with more meds and causing more stress by continuing the syringe thing. We just need to lay back, and give the bunny some time to relax as well and get back to her normal routine.

It’s a short time since Thursday, and I don’t know how many days I will need until I finally relax and say “we’re good”, so I’m just going to say that we are doing better every day.

I want to thank all of you for all the advice and support. It was a really hard time for us all and I really appreciate it!!!
This is super news ❤️ Well done for your perseverance with her treatment. She's a very lucky bunny.

Back