• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

DEVASTATED advice needed asap

all buns are still ok except pepe has got diarrhea. He has had it on and off since stopping the forage and going on to veg. Ive stopped all pellets and veg yesterday on the vets advice and im hoping this stops it. He has always had a sensitive tum. It a good job they are all really good hay eaters or i would be in trouble. I have seemed to spoil them with veg and they have had more carrots that they normally have so im hoping its this. I was really worried again yesterday. He is bright and active in himself and eating plenty of hay though. Thanks again everyone for your continued vibes and kind words.

I'd put money on it being too many carrots that have caused Pepe to have runny poo. I expect his 'output' will improve a lot over the next 48 hours on just hay and water. The fact that he is bright within himself is also a very good sign xx

all buns are still ok except pepe has got diarrhea. He has had it on and off since stopping the forage and going on to veg. Ive stopped all pellets and veg yesterday on the vets advice and im hoping this stops it. He has always had a sensitive tum. It a good job they are all really good hay eaters or i would be in trouble. I have seemed to spoil them with veg and they have had more carrots that they normally have so im hoping its this. I was really worried again yesterday. He is bright and active in himself and eating plenty of hay though. Thanks again everyone for your continued vibes and kind words.

More vibes :love:

As you say, it may be excess carrots that's done it, though I wouldn't expect it to necessarily cause actual diarrhoea. Hope it's not too bad? The hot weather doesn't help ... Have to be careful of the risk of flystrike.

Glad he's bright and active :D

Im cleaning them every day anyway since the vhd and pepe has regular bum washes. Yesterday is was watery, thats what scared me, but today hes doing sloppy poos which id never think i would be happy to see. Ive just checked his bum again and its dry so im hoping he is now on the mend. Id put blankets down on the floors so i could see if it was getting worse. The blankets are being washed now so when i put them back in i will be able to judge if he is getting better.plus the blankets help take some of the wettness away yesterday. Ive always been paranoid about flystrike but now im terrified. I bet these buns are fed up with me keep checking their bums and enclosure. The poor sods have no dignity :lol: Im sure RU vibes are magical. xxxxxxxxx i would hug you all if i could.

It does sound like too many carrots. My buns get loads of veg, spinach, sweetheart, kale, fennel, carrot tops, etc, etc. But when they have carrots, Charlie and Echo get terrible sticky bums. Then it's bum washes with hibiscrub and fly guard spray...so we avoid carrots now.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

It does sound like too many carrots. My buns get loads of veg, spinach, sweetheart, kale, fennel, carrot tops, etc, etc. But when they have carrots, Charlie and Echo get terrible sticky bums. Then it's bum washes with hibiscrub and fly guard spray...so we avoid carrots now.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Yep, completely agree. One of my previous Rabbits just had to look at a carrot and he would get very runny poo. w+s I am sure that you are very much on top of the hygiene routine, after all you have been through over recent weeks I expect your Rabbit's environment is cleaner than many folks kitchens !!

Im cleaning them every day anyway since the vhd and pepe has regular bum washes. Yesterday is was watery, thats what scared me, but today hes doing sloppy poos which id never think i would be happy to see. Ive just checked his bum again and its dry so im hoping he is now on the mend. Id put blankets down on the floors so i could see if it was getting worse. The blankets are being washed now so when i put them back in i will be able to judge if he is getting better.plus the blankets help take some of the wettness away yesterday. Ive always been paranoid about flystrike but now im terrified. I bet these buns are fed up with me keep checking their bums and enclosure. The poor sods have no dignity :lol: Im sure RU vibes are magical. xxxxxxxxx i would hug you all if i could.

Great idea about the blanket! I can just imagine your washing line with all those bunny blankets hanging out to dry :D
Thank goodness for the good weather in that respect.

Yes, they have to forego their dignity for their own safety and health I'm afraid ;)

lol. i just hope my neighbors dont think they are our blankets with all the holes chewed in them. :lol: The bun enclosures are cleaner than my kitchen :lol: just done another check and still dry, so fingers crossed.

lol. i just hope my neighbors dont think they are our blankets with all the holes chewed in them. :lol: The bun enclosures are cleaner than my kitchen :lol: just done another check and still dry, so fingers crossed.

They may think you and your family are turning into giant rabbits. Somehow, I might not blame them :lol:

:lol: ive open up tiggi,cosmo and darcys enclosure, which is underneath squiggles and i wish you could see the 4 of them running round from the top, all the way down and round then back up again. It makes a holy racket but is good to see :lol: them 4 now have 46 feet to run in a straight line plus an extra level aswell to jump on.

:lol: ive open up tiggi,cosmo and darcys enclosure, which is underneath squiggles and i wish you could see the 4 of them running round from the top, all the way down and round then back up again. It makes a holy racket but is good to see :lol: them 4 now have 46 feet to run in a straight line plus an extra level aswell to jump on.

Oh I can just imagine that :lol:

Of course, would be even better with a video! ;)

Love them xxx

pepe is back to normal with the poos, but they wasnt as golden as the others yesterday so i am only starting back the pellets tonight with a tablespoon each. The buns have all lost weight since having no forage so im going to start foraging for trees again soon. My hubby is scared stiff of getting them any forage but they really miss it and anything above ground should be safe.
I nearly had an heart attack yesterday while refreshing the hay in the girls aviary outside. Esme was collecting all the hay as quick as i was putting it down and then pulling fur too. I thought OMG i have mis-sexed one of the babies and now shes pregnant. Anyway they all got checked again and they are all defo girls so she must be having a phantom pregnancy, poor bun. She built a nest in one of the tunnels. I need to get cracking with these spays/neuters now. Im ringing vet in the morning to get the boys and bella in asap, the pixie, prinny, echo and asme can be done the week after.

I'm pleased that Pepe is now back to normal.

With all those neuters coming up, you're sadly not going to be able to relax about them for quite a while :(

pepe is back to normal with the poos, but they wasnt as golden as the others yesterday so i am only starting back the pellets tonight with a tablespoon each. The buns have all lost weight since having no forage so im going to start foraging for trees again soon. My hubby is scared stiff of getting them any forage but they really miss it and anything above ground should be safe.
I nearly had an heart attack yesterday while refreshing the hay in the girls aviary outside. Esme was collecting all the hay as quick as i was putting it down and then pulling fur too. I thought OMG i have mis-sexed one of the babies and now shes pregnant. Anyway they all got checked again and they are all defo girls so she must be having a phantom pregnancy, poor bun. She built a nest in one of the tunnels. I need to get cracking with these spays/neuters now. Im ringing vet in the morning to get the boys and bella in asap, the pixie, prinny, echo and asme can be done the week after.

Your work never seems to end WS ...

I hope you can plan some relaxation for the future sometime.
I wish I lived closer, I would look after all the buns and let you all go away :)

Your work never seems to end WS ...

I hope you can plan some relaxation for the future sometime.
I wish I lived closer, I would look after all the buns and let you all go away :)

OMG ...so relieved for you don't have another pregnancy & litter to contend with :shock:

In your situation I'd forage too...they are all vaccinated now & I imagine (hope) have come as close to the virus as they are likely too. I wondered if you would resume it. I reckon foraging for vaccinated buns trumps a (imo) inferior diet of shop bought veg. I guess nothing is concrete but in an overall risk assessment you're making a good call. Just my humble opinion. I'm continuing to forage for mine with confirmed multiple rhvd2 cases less than 10 miles away - going to vaccinate bi annually though.

Remind me how long ago it was you had 2 buns ? xx

OMG ...so relieved for you don't have another pregnancy & litter to contend with :shock:

In your situation I'd forage too...they are all vaccinated now & I imagine (hope) have come as close to the virus as they are likely too. I wondered if you would resume it. I reckon foraging for vaccinated buns trumps a (imo) inferior diet of shop bought veg. I guess nothing is concrete but in an overall risk assessment you're making a good call. Just my humble opinion. I'm continuing to forage for mine with confirmed multiple rhvd2 cases less than 10 miles away - going to vaccinate bi annually though.

Remind me how long ago it was you had 2 buns ? xx

I agree with all this. It's also a fact that the virus was never confirmed as RHD2, although clearly very probable. What is less certain is where it came from and forage is only one of the possibilities. Any hay also has to be considered, as well as the virus being carried on clothing or footwear.

I don't even remember w&s with only 2 rabbits :lol:

I agree with all this. It's also a fact that the virus was never confirmed as RHD2, although clearly very probable. What is less certain is where it came from and forage is only one of the possibilities. Any hay also has to be considered, as well as the virus being carried on clothing or footwear.

I don't even remember w&s with only 2 rabbits :lol:

you know what the say about rabbits? tis true

Back