• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best toys for bunnies

I have to wait until the 1st to order more toys (apparently) [emoji20] but I'm allowed £50 to spend for just toys for them!! I'm so excited and am going to be looking for a puzzle and a snuffle mat today! Plus I will order some of those safe wooden pegs for the line [emoji4] I love shopping for them!

They are like a pair of gangsters going everywhere together today. If one does something the other one seems to be watching and learning and then they do it! The noises they are making! I am looking forward to ordering some of the things you suggested plus a willow mat and tunnel. Mischief loved hos tunnel made of lots of hard sticks woven together (I don't know what it's called) but he ate it [emoji38] I need to get him a new one xx

Actually that's a good point! We have a yard we can use for digging boxes and stuff! We need to cover the roof as there are lots of pidgeons roosting (I mentioned it before) but we want to make it another area for them with pots of flowers to grow and we are looking to grow grass somehow. We want to make up for not having a garden for them. Digging boxes would probably be best kept outside bearing in mind they are big bunnies! However yet more ideas we can use thank you [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Aw, I'm sorry you have to wait. :(:lol: But, hey, that's a nice budget! I always get so excited when I can go shopping for bunny toys, too. Have fun! :lol:

I love how Mischief and Lillabelle are teaching each other to make trouble. :lol: Do you mean one of these tunnels? https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/willow-tube.html

willow-tube.jpg

I hope you can get Mischief a new one since he liked the first one so much that he ate it all. :lol:

Yeah, I think big bunnies in a digging box would make a huge mess. :lol: Maybe better to keep that outside, haha. Making an outside area for them where they can dig and you can grow some flowers and grass for them sounds lovely. :D

It has suddenly got deathly quiet. I'm wondering what they are up to?? Eeeeeek!

This really made me laugh. :lol: I'm glad they simply settled down for a nap. :lol:

Aw, I'm sorry you have to wait. :([emoji38] But, hey, that's a nice budget! I always get so excited when I can go shopping for bunny toys, too. Have fun! [emoji38]

I love how Mischief and Lillabelle are teaching each other to make trouble. [emoji38] Do you mean one of these tunnels? https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/willow-tube.html

willow-tube.jpg

I hope you can get Mischief a new one since he liked the first one so much that he ate it all. [emoji38]

Yeah, I think big bunnies in a digging box would make a huge mess. [emoji38] Maybe better to keep that outside, haha. Making an outside area for them where they can dig and you can grow some flowers and grass for them sounds lovely. :D

This really made me laugh. [emoji38] I'm glad they simply settled down for a nap. [emoji38]
Yes I'm very excited about shopping bearing in mind I get that budget on top of their usual things and orders of dried herbs and treats. I am so lucky to have an OH who loves the buns like I do. Well nearly as much. I'm obsessed! [emoji38]

Yes that is the tunnel he loves! He actually ate it all. Well left some of the bits. I had to clear them up every day for him. I did have to break off the ends where it got very spiky though as he wouldn't eat it otherwise.

Yes they are both out for the count now. Bless them they look so sweet. They have had a busy playtime with their new toy paper. Who would have thought a bit of paper and some cardboard could keep them entertained for hours! [emoji4]

That reminds me Inspector Morse gave me a link to cardboard toys for bunnies and how to make a cardboard ball. I can't find it anywhere though. Does anybody know the link please? It would be a useful link to put on this thread [emoji6]

Yes I'm very excited about shopping bearing in mind I get that budget on top of their usual things and orders of dried herbs and treats. I am so lucky to have an OH who loves the buns like I do. Well nearly as much. I'm obsessed! [emoji38]

Yes that is the tunnel he loves! He actually ate it all. Well left some of the bits. I had to clear them up every day for him. I did have to break off the ends where it got very spiky though as he wouldn't eat it otherwise.

Yes they are both out for the count now. Bless them they look so sweet. They have had a busy playtime with their new toy paper. Who would have thought a bit of paper and some cardboard could keep them entertained for hours! [emoji4]

Lucky bunnies, too. :lol:

Casper and Sophie like those tunnels, too, though not as much as Mischief clearly, because they've had their current one for over a year, I think, and it's only half-eaten. :lol: Can Mischief fit through it?

Aw, I'm glad they've been having fun. :love:

That reminds me Inspector Morse gave me a link to cardboard toys for bunnies and how to make a cardboard ball. I can't find it anywhere though. Does anybody know the link please? It would be a useful link to put on this thread [emoji6]

Do you maybe mean this one? http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2014/10/28/slotted-cardboard-rabbit-toys/

Lucky bunnies, too. [emoji38]

Casper and Sophie like those tunnels, too, though not as much as Mischief clearly, because they've had their current one for over a year, I think, and it's only half-eaten. [emoji38] Can Mischief fit through it?

Aw, I'm glad they've been having fun. :love:

Do you maybe mean this one? http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2014/10/28/slotted-cardboard-rabbit-toys/
Yes he does love his tunnel. He eats some every day then I have to break off where the sharp bits stick out and he can't bite it anymore as spikes stick in his face! And no he could only get his head through that tunnel. Even Lillabelle wouldn't fit through that now! [emoji44]

And yes that is the link thank you! It's a great idea if you are short on pennies (or not) as bunnies love cardboard! Mischief loves those balls. I should make some more actually [emoji4]

Aswell as the balls cardboard boxes are great toys for buns and make excellent hay and forage boxes plus if you cut a hole out to make a door they can be turned upside down to make a house.

Also toilet and kitchen roll tubes can be filled with hay and their favourite treats inside. Then you can put holes in the tube to help them so they can chew their way through the tube until the treats fall out. Mischief loved those as a baby filled with tiny carrot pieces! [emoji3]

Yes he does love his tunnel. He eats some every day then I have to break off where the sharp bits stick out and he can't bite it anymore as spikes stick in his face! And no he could only get his head through that tunnel. Even Lillabelle wouldn't fit through that now! [emoji44]

And yes that is the link thank you! It's a great idea if you are short on pennies (or not) as bunnies love cardboard! Mischief loves those balls. I should make some more actually [emoji4]

Aswell as the balls cardboard boxes are great toys for buns and make excellent hay and forage boxes plus if you cut a hole out to make a door they can be turned upside down to make a house.

Also toilet and kitchen roll tubes can be filled with hay and their favourite treats inside. Then you can put holes in the tube to help them so they can chew their way through the tube until the treats fall out. Mischief loved those as a baby filled with tiny carrot pieces! [emoji3]

Ah, I thought Mischief would be too big for them. Only his head fits, though! He's such a big bunny. And Lillabelle, too! It's kind of odd, really, that bunny toys like tunnels don't come in larger sizes for big rabbits.

Cardboard is great for bunny toys, yes! I always forget about it because Sophie and Casper don't get cardboard. Sophie eats it like it's food; she just starts eating and doesn't stop until it's all gone! So, they don't get any, because I don't want her to get a blockage. It always seems like they could have so much fun with cardboard boxes and tubes and everything, so it's a bit sad! Turning toilet and kitchen roll tubes into a treat toy is a great idea! :D

Ah, I thought Mischief would be too big for them. Only his head fits, though! He's such a big bunny. And Lillabelle, too! It's kind of odd, really, that bunny toys like tunnels don't come in larger sizes for big rabbits.

Cardboard is great for bunny toys, yes! I always forget about it because Sophie and Casper don't get cardboard. Sophie eats it like it's food; she just starts eating and doesn't stop until it's all gone! So, they don't get any, because I don't want her to get a blockage. It always seems like they could have so much fun with cardboard boxes and tubes and everything, so it's a bit sad! Turning toilet and kitchen roll tubes into a treat toy is a great idea! :D
Yes I feel there is a big market for giant bunnies really. Most toys cater for much smaller ones.

Mischief does eat the cardboard actually. Well he eats it when he is stressed. I see it as better than eating blankets or carpet. We have so many holes in his blankets. There are almost more holes than fabric! Now I worry he may get a blockage too! Sometimes it is hard to know what is best for them.

Cardboard toys are really good though. Loo rolls stuffed with hay and treats are wonderful toys for alleviating boredom actually xx

Yes I feel there is a big market for giant bunnies really. Most toys cater for much smaller ones.

Mischief does eat the cardboard actually. Well he eats it when he is stressed. I see it as better than eating blankets or carpet. We have so many holes in his blankets. There are almost more holes than fabric! Now I worry he may get a blockage too! Sometimes it is hard to know what is best for them.

Cardboard toys are really good though. Loo rolls stuffed with hay and treats are wonderful toys for alleviating boredom actually xx

Aw, I can relate to having bunny blankets that are more holes than fabric. :lol: It's totally fine if he nibbles on his cardboard a bit, but if he eats a lot it can cause a blockage as far as I know, so I'd just keep an eye on it, and maybe offer him an alternative if he's stressed and eating a lot, like a branch to chew on instead. I agree that cardboard toys are really good, though! I'd always give my bunnies before Sophie loo rolls stuffed with hay and they'd have so much fun with them! :D

I do offer him lots of chew toys due to him chewing when he is stressed. He chews something either way so I guess it is better to be cardboard or apple sticks or wicker balls or dandelion root.

He does it when he is bored or stressed so when I see him chewing I try to engage him elsewhere and play with him or give him cuddles. Since Lillabelle has come along he is definitely happier and chews less.

However I do notice that when he bows his head asking for her to groom her if she doesn't do it he digs furiously at the ground and eats whatever is around aswell. He doesn't do it as much though as usually Lillabelle then comes up to him and nose bumps him or lies close to him which I think is her way of placating him. Her coming up to him is usually enough to stop it.

If I go in to calm him down it takes a lot more effort. I usually have to physically pick him up to remove him from the place to sooth him whereas Lillabelle's presence is enough. Watching bunnies together is very interesting. They have such subtle ways of communicating and they seem to be very polite with each other. They nose bump each other whenever they meet and I notice they also do it to me. I always pat their heads as a response to achnowledge them back.

When my OH came back from work yesterday I had fallen asleep as I was not well. I had fed them their veggies and they had plenty of hay but I had laid down feeling unwell and very wobbly on my feet so I thought their nuggets could wait as they had enough food. I slept longer than anticipated though.

Anyway my OH came through the door as I had been woken by Mischief nose bumping me frantically and as soon as he was in the bedroom Lillabelle was at his feet nose bumping him aswell!

They were like a couple of hoodrats accosting us for food. I asked my OH to fed them their nuggets and there was peace. So nose bumping is not necessarily used as a friendly greeting gesture [emoji38]

I do offer him lots of chew toys due to him chewing when he is stressed. He chews something either way so I guess it is better to be cardboard or apple sticks or wicker balls or dandelion root.

He does it when he is bored or stressed so when I see him chewing I try to engage him elsewhere and play with him or give him cuddles. Since Lillabelle has come along he is definitely happier and chews less.

However I do notice that when he bows his head asking for her to groom her if she doesn't do it he digs furiously at the ground and eats whatever is around aswell. He doesn't do it as much though as usually Lillabelle then comes up to him and nose bumps him or lies close to him which I think is her way of placating him. Her coming up to him is usually enough to stop it.

If I go in to calm him down it takes a lot more effort. I usually have to physically pick him up to remove him from the place to sooth him whereas Lillabelle's presence is enough. Watching bunnies together is very interesting. They have such subtle ways of communicating and they seem to be very polite with each other. They nose bump each other whenever they meet and I notice they also do it to me. I always pat their heads as a response to achnowledge them back.

When my OH came back from work yesterday I had fallen asleep as I was not well. I had fed them their veggies and they had plenty of hay but I had laid down feeling unwell and very wobbly on my feet so I thought their nuggets could wait as they had enough food. I slept longer than anticipated though.

Anyway my OH came through the door as I had been woken by Mischief nose bumping me frantically and as soon as he was in the bedroom Lillabelle was at his feet nose bumping him aswell!

They were like a couple of hoodrats accosting us for food. I asked my OH to fed them their nuggets and there was peace. So nose bumping is not necessarily used as a friendly greeting gesture [emoji38]

Yeah, that's definitely better than him chewing carpet or the furniture! That's so good to hear that since Lillabelle has joined him he's chewing less since he's happier and less bored and stressed. :love: But, aw, it sounds like he gets frustrated when Lillabelle won't groom him every time. I'm glad she can calm him down so easily when he starts digging at the ground like that. I do love their subtle ways of communicating with each other, too. (Although they can be less subtle, too, of course, at times. :lol:) That's so funny that they were demanding food as soon as your OH came through the door. :lol: I think you're right that their cute nose bumping isn't always a friendly gesture. :lol: I know Casper and Sophie do it when I'm in the way, too. If I don't move after nose bumps, they'll start chewing on my clothes. :lol:

If you are looking for toys such as tunnels for larger rabbits, look at ones meant for cats / dogs / kids. Offcuts of land drain pipes in larger diameters are sometimes available (local contractors, ebay, freecycle, local FB groups, etc)

I think this would be a fun toy for bunnies, as long as they don't eat the fabric:

I'd get it for Sophie and Casper, but it's a square meter and I don't think there's enough space left for it in their room. They need a bigger room. :(

Yeah, that's definitely better than him chewing carpet or the furniture! That's so good to hear that since Lillabelle has joined him he's chewing less since he's happier and less bored and stressed. :love: But, aw, it sounds like he gets frustrated when Lillabelle won't groom him every time. I'm glad she can calm him down so easily when he starts digging at the ground like that. I do love their subtle ways of communicating with each other, too. (Although they can be less subtle, too, of course, at times. [emoji38]) That's so funny that they were demanding food as soon as your OH came through the door. [emoji38] I think you're right that their cute nose bumping isn't always a friendly gesture. [emoji38] I know Casper and Sophie do it when I'm in the way, too. If I don't move after nose bumps, they'll start chewing on my clothes. [emoji38]
Yes I notice they nose bump me to move out the way too! [emoji38] I love feeling them nose bump me hello. It's so cute [emoji7]

Oh I never thought about toys for cats/dogs/kids before. Thank you for that. I will look for them instead.

The cut off drain pipe idea is a good one too! I will ask my OH to look out for them as he works in labouring for a construction firm. He said the ones they use are too narrow but he may come across them at some point xx

I think this would be a fun toy for bunnies, as long as they don't eat the fabric:

I'd get it for Sophie and Casper, but it's a square meter and I don't think there's enough space left for it in their room. They need a bigger room. :(
I can't upload the video unfortunately. Could you try again or explain what it is please? Or maybe give me the link to the toy? Thanks xx

I think they have a lovely size room full of beautiful things. I'm sure they are very happy with their lot xx

I can't upload the video unfortunately. Could you try again or explain what it is please? Or maybe give me the link to the toy? Thanks xx

I think they have a lovely size room full of beautiful things. I'm sure they are very happy with their lot xx

Oh, of course! It's this: https://www.trixie.de/heimtierbedarf/en/shop/Cat/Activities22/StrategySnackToys2/?card=231349 It's for cats, but I don't think bunnies would mind.

Aww, that's very kind of you to say.

I did think that a scratch mat would be good especially for Mischief. I thought we could maybe stick it on to the side of the chest of drawers where he scratches already. It could wear their nails down aswell.

That does look like fun for bunnies! Unfortunately as Mischief chews everything including fabric I think he would ruin it in 5 minutes [emoji20]xx

Aw, that's too bad that he's such a chewer and would ruin in in 5 minutes. Getting him a scratch mat and attaching it to the chest of drawers sounds like a good idea, especially since he's already scratching there. :D

Back