• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D on April - she's gone

Vet doesn't feel happy with her progress today. She's still bloated and hasn't made as much progress as vet would have liked. She's got another appointment for tomorrow. :cry: Her stomach feels fuller says vet but stuff doesn't seem to be going through her fast enough.

Vibes please!

Can the vet take a conscious x-ray?! It might help to show what is or isnt moving through? When my vet took one of Dudders he said he could see some gas in his caecum...not entirely sure how you would identify gas on an x-ray as it doesnt have mass but hey-ho!

Sending loads more vibes for your little lady!

Can the vet take a conscious x-ray?! It might help to show what is or isnt moving through? When my vet took one of Dudders he said he could see some gas in his caecum...not entirely sure how you would identify gas on an x-ray as it doesnt have mass but hey-ho!

Sending loads more vibes for your little lady!

Thank you! Yes, we've provisionally said that will be Monday if there's no improvement by then...

Thanks, Jane, I'll mention that to the vet....

I think Monday is a bit of a long way off re the Xray :?

I know she's a really high GA risk but if she has an obstruction she wont survive.
Sorry to be so blunt, I know that you are doing all you can for her.

Maybe your Vet has already ruled obstruction out so medical treatment (drugs) is the best for April. But if her stomach cant empty then any food going in will just sit there, ferment, create more gas and a bulid up of enterotoxins.

If the bloat is in her stomach (as opposed to her intestines) then tubing her may be needed to manually remove the gas. But again, this wont help longterm if the pylorus (outlet from the stomach) is obstructed.

I think Monday is a bit of a long way off re the Xray :?

I know she's a really high GA risk but if she has an obstruction she wont survive.
Sorry to be so blunt, I know that you are doing all you can for her.

Maybe your Vet has already ruled obstruction out so medical treatment (drugs) is the best for April. But if her stomach cant empty then any food going in will just sit there, ferment, create more gas and a bulid up of enterotoxins.

If the bloat is in her stomach (as opposed to her intestines) then tubing her may be needed to manually remove the gas. But again, this wont help longterm if the pylorus (outlet from the stomach) is obstructed.

She is passing droppings - about ten overnight, very large one, some of them...does that make a difference?

I've only just seen this Nicky, I'm so sorry to hear April is poorly. :( Sending lots of vibes. xxx

More vibes for the lovely April - hope she feels better soon

(((((((((((((((((vibes)))))))))))))))))))

Is she still taking Zantac? Just thinking off the top of my head the zantac will help reduce the acid production which in turn may help stop the gas production and of course it helps her lower gut motility too. If she has a giant gas bubble in her tummy does anyone know if its actually detrimental to take infacol because its job is to combine the smaller bubbles into larger ones to make them easier to pass when they are in the intestines but if its already a big bubble in her stomach it might not help?! Its a shame you have to wait so long for the xray! A conscious x-ray should be fairly straightforward and give you an instant look inside without a dreaded GA. They can definately do them at Penrose (Colchester).

Is she still taking Zantac? Just thinking off the top of my head the zantac will help reduce the acid production which in turn may help stop the gas production and of course it helps her lower gut motility too. If she has a giant gas bubble in her tummy does anyone know if its actually detrimental to take infacol because its job is to combine the smaller bubbles into larger ones to make them easier to pass when they are in the intestines but if its already a big bubble in her stomach it might not help?! Its a shame you have to wait so long for the xray! A conscious x-ray should be fairly straightforward and give you an instant look inside without a dreaded GA. They can definately do them at Penrose (Colchester).

Yes, I wondered that about the infacol too...she is still on zantac and maxalone (sp? :oops:) as well as the metacam.

Will look into getting x-ray done earlier.

She is passing droppings - about ten overnight, very large one, some of them...does that make a difference?

It depends on where the bloat is really. Is she having SQ fluids ?

Can you ask the Vet about the Buscopan now :?

Obviously I am not qualified to say what is right, I am just passing on what has helped bloated Buns that I have had here. The only one as bad as April did actually have an obstructed pylorus :cry:

It depends on where the bloat is really. Is she having SQ fluids ?

Can you ask the Vet about the Buscopan now :?

Obviously I am not qualified to say what is right, I am just passing on what has helped bloated Buns that I have had here. The only one as bad as April did actually have an obstructed pylorus :cry:

She's going to ring me...

What was the obstruction and was the bun concerned able to pass large droppings/any at all?

poor baby. i was hoping she'd have improved again:( fingers crossed she soon becomes more comfortable xxx

Back