• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D on April - she's gone

She definitely looks much better in the latter photos.

I've had bunnies with bloat but not looked like poor April, poor poor girl that must have been really uncomfortable.

(Poor you too, I'd be in orbit seeing one of my babes like that :cry:)

I think the vet was pessimistic when she first saw her, but April is a wilful little girl, as Jill will tell you!

Jasmine must be the same! I'm hoping to manage without the 4am feed tonight, but we'll see...

Thank you Donna and Jane and Maizey - we still need to get her eye sorted - may be dental issues to deal with - but vet doesn't want to do a GA while she's so vulnerable. She had a thorough look in her mouth and could find nothing wrong so it may just be that her tear duct needs flushing, fingers crossed....

oh Nickie those first pics..poor April:cry:
She does look a lot better in the 2nd pics so lets hope the treatment has worked ..thank you for making sure she got the treatment she needed
Give her a gentle noserub from me and have a hug yourself xxx

Poor April, that must be so painful. I have never seen Snowdrop blow up quite as much as that.

Loads more vibes for her, it does looks from the pictures as though she hs improved. xxx

oh Nickie those first pics..poor April:cry:
She does look a lot better in the 2nd pics so lets hope the treatment has worked ..thank you for making sure she got the treatment she needed
Give her a gentle noserub from me and have a hug yourself xxx

Aw thank you! Yes, she must have been in agony but she's been so brave, and I feel cautiously optimistic she'll be okay now...I think it was the second time she tried to empty her food bowl within five minutes that was a clue she was getting back to her old self...

Have just popped up to see her and she ate another couple of blackberry leaves... I do hope she's turned the corner now...

Poor April, that must be so painful. I have never seen Snowdrop blow up quite as much as that.

Loads more vibes for her, it does looks from the pictures as though she hs improved. xxx

I know, it's horrible to look at, but may be useful if other RU bunnies get the same awful condition. I'm glad you think she's improved - I do, especially in the second picture...- thank goodness!

Last edited:
Oh bless her!! Seeing a bun with bloat is the worst thing because you feel so useless. I hope she continues to improve (hugs) xx

Oh bless her!! Seeing a bun with bloat is the worst thing because you feel so useless. I hope she continues to improve (hugs) xx

Thank you! Just went upstairs to check on her and she was moving around a bit, whereas yesterday she sat hunched or flattened all day long. Another good sign! :wave:

wow ive never seen it that big, second pic does look a lot better, vibes for more deflation, poor wee lass

Those first pics really are horrendous.
I wonder whether the vet could have deflated the stomach by passing a stomach tube or whether this is sometimes not advisable.
I hope she continues to improve xx

Thank you all. I heard voluntary munching late last night - a good sign - and this morning she's been grooming herself non-stop...

I think the vet wanted to try injections before trying anything manual but yes those first pics are awful. Will take some more tonight - hopefully better still. She still doesn't have much of an appetite but I'm hoping that today that will improve. I managed to get some critical care into her this morning and she's started fighting when I try to give her her meds - a good sign, I suspect!

Back