• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Slowing Down u/d he’s gone

MoonHare

Young Bun
We've been back at the vets this morning. Little man very slow, tired, and looks sad. The damp weather this week certainly hasn't helped his arthritis. She couldn't find any dental/gut issues so gave him a stronger painkiller injection and we're home with some more meds. I've given him some critical care as, while he is eating for himself, he's eating very slowly and has nothing like his usual appetite. He's been snoozing lots since we got back, which she said would happen with the painkiller, but still looks sad. Luckily she's working tomorrow morning and they do have out of hours if we need. Poor little guy, wish he could tell me what's wrong :(

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. Unfortunately he’s not perked up at all so I think we’ll probably be back at the vets later :(

Thank you everyone. Unfortunately he’s not perked up at all so I think we’ll probably be back at the vets later :(

It’s probably the buprenorphine AKA Vetergesic if that’s what he was given. The sedating effects can last for several hours in some Rabbits

It’s probably the buprenorphine AKA Vetergesic if that’s what he was given. The sedating effects can last for several hours in some Rabbits

Ok, thank you. He’s barely eating anything for himself, not drinking and not been to toilet since we got back (as far as I can tell). I wouldn’t say he’s looked in any less pain at any point since having the painkiller injection (not sure what it was) this morning.

He's been admitted at our vets out of hours for more pain relief. Update in the morning when regular vet back, unless he deterioriates before then.

You did the right thing taking him back in. I really hope that he will improve overnight. I expect the Vet will need to run some diagnostics now x

Thanks Jane. Couldn’t keep him here overnight when he’s clearly not right so he’s in best place now (with his bunwife). Yes, I think it’s probably a deterioration in his spinal issues based on the examination this morning, but will see what they say tomorrow.

as you say he's in the right place & good to hear he has his wife for company / emotional support. You must be worried though. Loads more well wishes xx

Thanks Jane. Couldn’t keep him here overnight when he’s clearly not right so he’s in best place now (with his bunwife). Yes, I think it’s probably a deterioration in his spinal issues based on the examination this morning, but will see what they say tomorrow.

Really hope you will receive better news about him later this morning x

Oh, poor little bunny... I'm sorry he's not feeling well at all. I hope they can do something to help him at the vets, and figure out what's going on with him. I'm glad he has his wife with him. Sending him so many vibes. I hope he's maybe feeling a little better today.

Back