• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

poorly eric :( thoughts please u/d p28

There's a Dutchie who ate a whole mini egg & was fine. Another bun stole a more substantial amount & was :oops: hyperactive the next day.
I reckon he'll be OK Poppymoon.

thanks judy x

he seems fine - chewing my sketch pad so more 'eric-y':D the weird thing is, his left eye looks really open. sounds odd but do they mess with the eyes when giving a ga at all?:oops:

and i suspect our issue was the growth of teeny tiny spikes which may have hurt him as he tried to drink, thus making his urine more concentrated:? sound familiar? (vet said the spikes were tiny and didn't look as if they could cause a problem - til she decided to run her little finger over them:shock: ouch).

thanks judy x

he seems fine - chewing my sketch pad so more 'eric-y':D the weird thing is, his left eye looks really open. sounds odd but do they mess with the eyes when giving a ga at all?:oops:

and i suspect our issue was the growth of teeny tiny spikes which may have hurt him as he tried to drink, thus making his urine more concentrated:? sound familiar? (vet said the spikes were tiny and didn't look as if they could cause a problem - til she decided to run her little finger over them:shock: ouch).

Yes they put lubricant in the eyes & I think tape them shut when they have a GA, depending on the length of time they're under, to prevent damage to the cornea from dessication.

The spurs/drinking issue sounds VERY familiar indeed. Thumps can have a small amount of grit, & then clear wee for days. The other factor (which I'm sure Eric doesn't do), is if Thumper "enjoys his toy doe" too much.:oops:

I'm so glad Eric is back on form again.

thanks again:) i know i notice really weird - and probably trivial - things with eric and you've no idea how relieved i feel when i mention it and it turns out i'm not barking mad after all:D

i'll be keeping an even closer eye on eric now.

I think we notice our buns a lot cos they both communicate with us a lot, in behaviour, with a few outbreaks of naughtiness, & we both have to pick up on dental/stasis issues fast, or it's BIG ------.

When ever you notice something with Eric, I know it's real & a matter of working out what is going on.;)

not overly keen on breakfast. He got excited as per usual but had a bit then has gone for a nap-after having a chew on the door so hopefully he's just still a bit tired from his dental

noodles eyes were awful for about 2 weeks after her op due to the eye drops / lubrication.... it was awful they looked so sore.... but when she was fit enough to wash them they went back to normal....

DSCF0261.jpg

we have poo - a pretty yukky one and some normal which is to be expected with eric (unless all buns have a squidgy poo after a dental?).

he's jumped on the table, trashed a piece of cardboard, munched a green bean and is now in his usual afternoon place - more importantly, his posture is normal for him at this time of day.

jane, his eye doesn't look particularly bulgy now. its hard to explain but as he's a black otter, his eyes are gently edged with sandy-brown eyeliner and it just looks bigger:? like his top eyelid is a bit more open and showing extra sandy brown fur and it looked like his eye lashes were curled and damp:?

oh dear, i probably sound really weird now!

anyways, i'm pretty pleased with him so far - not scoffed all of his pellets yet from this morning but he's had a really good chomp on his hay. eric does have grazing days and goes back to his food tray as and when rather than dash and scoff all of it but its his mannerisms and behaviour that seem more normal.

this time of day isn't the best time to judge the lazy moo whereas essie is belting around the garden:roll:

eta - just tried the crunchie trick and he happily snatched it off me even tho i'd disturbed him by poking it through his hidey hole:)

Last edited:
You're fine Poppymoon. It sounds to me as if the ointment is sticking down the eyelashes in the wrong position, ie. touching the cornea when he blinks. Is there any way you can stroke his eye (he'll close it) & get those lashes up?

You're fine Poppymoon. It sounds to me as if the ointment is sticking down the eyelashes in the wrong position, ie. touching the cornea when he blinks. Is there any way you can stroke his eye (he'll close it) & get those lashes up?

i would if i could squeeze under the futon:lol: i did stroke it last night to see if it was sticky or anything and it didn't seem to be causing him any discomfort. after the fuss, he spent ages washing his eyes (which is what i wanted him to do:oops:)

Have been waiting for news on Eric all day, haven't had a spare moment at work to check, but now I have - SO pleased for you poppy! sounds like he's getting better by the minute. Give him some noserubs from me :D

Back