• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could Sophie get some vibes? Another dental

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
Sophie hasn't been doing very well this past week. Lots of tooth grinding. I thought it was one of her hind legs that was hurting her, as she recently lost the ability to raise it high enough to scratch her ear with it because of her arthritis. The vets said I could double her Metacam dosage for a few days and see if it helped, and it did help with her leg; she can use it again normally now, but she's still grinding her teeth a lot, and she started eating selectively. Yesterday at the vets we found out that she has spurs on her molars again already. Her last dental was only in January. :( The vet wanted to see if we could get her back to feeling better with just extra medication, as the spurs aren't big enough that it was certain that that was the problem, and the vet preferred not to put Sophie through a dental because of her age (she'll be 13 next month). The extra medication has given her more of an appetite, but she's still grinding her teeth, and she's been trying to eat hay, but hasn't been able to, so she's having a dental tomorrow after all. I'm pretty worried about my sweet girl, so I would really appreciate it if some of you could keep her in your thoughts tomorrow morning and send her some vibes. ❤️

Oh poor Sophie, your vets have always sounded brilliant, so I'm sure they will take excellent care of her. Sending loads of vibes, and will be thinking of her tomorrow, you and Casper too x

I'm sorry that Sophie needs another dental again & so soon. I can appreciated you must be very worried about your sweet girl. I'm sending loads & loads of positive vibes & well wishes for brave & beautiful Sophie :love: I have full confidence in your vets - I'm sure they'll make adjustments & use as little anaesthetic as possible. I'm off tomorrow so I'll keep you all in my thoughts til we get that positive update

Thank you so much, Pets mum, j&b, and Zoobec. I really appreciate your thoughts and vibes. ❤️ We've just dropped her and Casper off at the vets, and we can pick them up again at 3, so I'll let you all know how it went. They're going to do the anaesthesia the same way as last time, since that went well, so hopefully it'll be okay. I packed them a nice lunch, too, so she'll have something yummy to eat when she wakes up.

Thank you so much, Pets mum, j&b, and Zoobec. I really appreciate your thoughts and vibes. ❤️ We've just dropped her and Casper off at the vets, and we can pick them up again at 3, so I'll let you all know how it went. They're going to do the anaesthesia the same way as last time, since that went well, so hopefully it'll be okay. I packed them a nice lunch, too, so she'll have something yummy to eat when she wakes up.
topping up the vibes for lovely Sophie :love: I really hope everything goes well for her....she's such a beautiful soul.
I hope you don't have too wait too long before you get a call to say she's ok

topping up the vibes for lovely Sophie :love: I really hope everything goes well for her....she's such a beautiful soul.
I hope you don't have too wait too long before you get a call to say she's ok
Thank you so much. She really is a beautiful soul. She's so precious. ❤️ Unfortunately my vets don't call to let you know things went well; they only call if something didn't go as planned, so if you hear nothing everything went well. I guess it would take a lot of time for the vet nurses to call everyone to let them know things went okay. It was really busy this morning with people dropping off their animal friends, so they would have to make a lot of phone calls, I think. But I haven't heard anything, so that means everything went well, thankfully. I can't wait to pick them up and have them home again. ❤️

ahhh so its a true case of no news is good news. Phew. I've been almost as anxious waiting for sophies op to be done as when my own buns have been under GA. In that case I can't wait til you have them home either....not long now ❤️

Aw, you've been anxious, too. I was nauseated from the stress this morning, but thankfully I fell asleep at some point. I'll let you know when they're back home. It's always so weirdly quiet when they're away, even though they just sleep at this time of the day anyway.

Fantastic well done Sophie, and Casper of course in his supporting role ☺️you will sleep better tonight Reader x

They're home. ❤️ Everything went well and she'd already eaten at the vets. When she was settled in her favourite house, I put some hay in front of her and she started eating it right away. 🥰
Awww brilliant ❤️ well done everybun. I know you'll be delighted she is eating hay already. I dont think a better update would be possible.
What did they find? Just the little spurs noted at consult?

Fantastic well done Sophie, and Casper of course in his supporting role ☺️you will sleep better tonight Reader x
Thank you so much, Pets mum. Casper has been very supportive. ❤️ Some better sleep would be very welcome.

Awww brilliant ❤️ well done everybun. I know you'll be delighted she is eating hay already. I dont think a better update would be possible.
What did they find? Just the little spurs noted at consult?
Thank you so much, too, j&b. I'm definitely delighted by her hay-eating! She had some little spurs on her lower molars on both the left and right side, but her upper molars were all fine, thankfully, so, yes, just the little spurs the vet saw during the consult.

I just saw this and am glad Sophie is doing so well. She is lucky to have you and Casper to give her excellent care and support.

I'm sorry to hear about Sophie's molar spurs. After Mimzy got head tilt he seemed to need dentals more often as he was wearing his teeth down unevenly and not eating enough hay. I supplemented willow rings and the like for him and it kept him ahead of anything sooner than the 3 month mark.

Glad to hear Sophie is back to munching and I hope you're able to rest. 🙂 xxxxx

I just saw this and am glad Sophie is doing so well. She is lucky to have you and Casper to give her excellent care and support.
Thank you so much, bunny momma. I think Casper and I are the lucky ones for having her with us. ❤️ Casper's been so good with her, though. 🥰

Pleased all went well for your wee girl.
Aww, thank you so much. 😊

I'm sorry to hear about Sophie's molar spurs. After Mimzy got head tilt he seemed to need dentals more often as he was wearing his teeth down unevenly and not eating enough hay. I supplemented willow rings and the like for him and it kept him ahead of anything sooner than the 3 month mark.

Glad to hear Sophie is back to munching and I hope you're able to rest. 🙂 xxxxx
Aw, poor Mimzy. The vet did say that willow twigs and other thin branches were good for wearing down the teeth if she wouldn't eat enough hay, so I'm glad to hear that helped Mimzy.

Thank you so much, MM. 😊 I'll sleep on the sofa again tonight so I can keep an eye on her, but hopefully everything will be okay and I can return to my bed tomorrow!

She's so exhausted, my poor girl. She's just been sleeping and sleeping and sleeping. She can barely stay awake long enough to eat. She just woke up for some pellets, though, so I can give her her medication. The worrying thing is that she's still grinding her teeth. :( I hope it's just because of some lingering soreness from the dental, and not that there's something else that's hurting her. :(

Back