• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Freja :-(

Well done to you all!
I cannot believe your vet was able to find the wire so she could begin to heal.
You worked so hard with weeks of medication, syringe feedings, vet visits, and searching for foods she would accept; so yoy must be overjoyed to have her eating on her own!
Sending vibes she will eat more of her hay and pre injury favorites so she can gain weight quickly!

I'm so glad Freja has been making some real progress and that she's gained some weight, too. 🥰 That's great that she has started nibbling some hay. Hopefully as time goes by she'll feel more confident eating the foods again that she has come to associate with pain.

Woohoo!! First week off syringe feeds, no emeprid for 5 days, and she's gained 260g in a week!! She is still a little wary of a couple of things, but yesterday she snatched a piece of pear (never tried pear when she was ill) and ran off with it which was so lovely to see. She's also literally dragging at the food basket when I go to feed them at night, trying to get in it to eat.
Output still a little low but improving every day. I think I feel safe enough to say the end is on us, finally, and I can breathe again.

wow, that was some journey to recovery but I'm happy to hear she is eating so well & you can finally relax

Back