• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny still off food and hay, drooling and teeth chattering

Update: Earl still isn’t eating by himself, but is really bright and runs around all over the house. We’re still doing critical care and I have a phone call booked with Jason Burgess on Monday (fingers crossed), which then I think we’ll go from there and make an appointment for Earl to see him. I’m so confused as to why he’s still not eating, our local vets have prescribed Baytril so he has been on that for 4 days now and there’s not been a huge difference.

Jason has a good reputation as being very Rabbit Savvy. I hope he will agree to examine Earl as he won’t be able to diagnose any problems without doing that.

Jason has a good reputation as being very Rabbit Savvy. I hope he will agree to examine Earl as he won’t be able to diagnose any problems without doing that.
Thank you. He does! He was lovely and even called us on a Saturday when he’s not working, very kind. He thinks after looking at Earl’s x-ray that one of his ear bones looks more white than the other which could indicate a middle ear infection? He has said to keep on the baytril and we have an appointment with him in 10 days for reassessment. If Earl gets worse between now and then he said to come in on emergency.

Thank you. He does! He was lovely and even called us on a Saturday when he’s not working, very kind. He thinks after looking at Earl’s x-ray that one of his ear bones looks more white than the other which could indicate a middle ear infection? He has said to keep on the baytril and we have an appointment with him in 10 days for reassessment. If Earl gets worse between now and then he said to come in on emergency.

I did wonder if an ear problem was a possibility. One of my previous Rabbits would go off all hard food and become lethargic when he had ear pain. He had chronic ear disease.

I did wonder if an ear problem was a possibility. One of my previous Rabbits would go off all hard food and become lethargic when he had ear pain. He had chronic ear disease.
Okay, thanks for the info. Bless him! Earl hasn’t shown any signs of being off balance at all - is that usually a symptom of inner ear infection?

Okay, thanks for the info. Bless him! Earl hasn’t shown any signs of being off balance at all - is that usually a symptom of inner ear infection?

It can be, but not in the very early stages. If Jason does suspect otitis media he is likely to suggest a CT scan. Is Earl insured ?

It can be, but not in the very early stages. If Jason does suspect otitis media he is likely to suggest a CT scan. Is Earl insured ?
He did mention a CT before he saw the x-rays, so I feel he thought that may be enough to warrant the course of antibiotics. He did say on the appointment week after next he’d like to do another exam of Earl’s mouth under a light anaesthetic and check for pallet abscesses too.

Also, sorry another question for you - do you recall how long it would usually take for antibiotics to start to kick in, if the issue was the middle ear? He’s eating little bits today but really sporadically so we’re still doing critical care - exhausted to say the least but I’d do it forever if I had to! x

Also, sorry another question for you - do you recall how long it would usually take for antibiotics to start to kick in, if the issue was the middle ear? He’s eating little bits today but really sporadically so we’re still doing critical care - exhausted to say the least but I’d do it forever if I had to! x

It depends on what abx is given, what route ie oral or by injection and if it is the correct abx for the specific bacteria involved. *If* it’s a middle ear infection abx are often needed for weeks rather than days. IME Enrofloxacin (Baytril) alone is seldom helpful in the treatment of ear infections.(Otitis Media). A different abx is usually needed, either instead of or aswell as Baytril.Meloxicam (Metacam) alone might not give adequate analgesic cover, another analgesic might also be needed alongside Metacam eg Tramadol, Paracetamol, Buprenorphine. The latter is an opiate that can cause marked sedation in many Rabbits.

Info about ear infections here :

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...itis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits.pdf

It depends on what abx is given, what route ie oral or by injection and if it is the correct abx for the specific bacteria involved. *If* it’s a middle ear infection abx are often needed for weeks rather than days. IME Enrofloxacin (Baytril) alone is seldom helpful in the treatment of ear infections.(Otitis Media). A different abx is usually needed, either instead of or aswell as Baytril.Meloxicam (Metacam) alone might not give adequate analgesic cover, another analgesic might also be needed alongside Metacam eg Tramadol, Paracetamol, Buprenorphine. The latter is an opiate that can cause marked sedation in many Rabbits.

Info about ear infections here :

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...itis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits.pdf

So useful, thank you for this!! I've managed to get an earlier appointment with Jason at Woods, so we're off there tomorrow morning! :)
I'm really hoping he'll be able to work out what's going on with our poor little monkey :(

Back