• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off to vet with Bracken. Some spare vibes please. Admitted again 8th June.

:thumb:

It's unlikely he will get a gastric ulcer, as a rabbit's stomach acid is very high to begin with, but I can see your vet is across all this :D

Hopefully, he will carry on improving, albeit slowly and will get back to his usual self. Every time I look round to check him, he's sitting there staring at me. I'm getting a bit of a complex!!!!
My son called the vet yesterday and had his little cat PTS. He set up her soft bed under the rose bush and she went to sleep. he said, he knew it was time and called the vet. They're supposed to have 24 hrs notice, but he said a vet came anyway. He lives in Crawley. His little cat was 19 years old, he'd had her from a small kitten. She was lovely.....but her kidneys had failed and she'd been poorly for a while.. He was having her cremated separately at his nearby pet crematoria, which is part of an animal sanctuary.

Hopefully, he will carry on improving, albeit slowly and will get back to his usual self. Every time I look round to check him, he's sitting there staring at me. I'm getting a bit of a complex!!!!
My son called the vet yesterday and had his little cat PTS. He set up her soft bed under the rose bush and she went to sleep. he said, he knew it was time and called the vet. They're supposed to have 24 hrs notice, but he said a vet came anyway. He lives in Crawley. His little cat was 19 years old, he'd had her from a small kitten. She was lovely.....but her kidneys had failed and she'd been poorly for a while.. He was having her cremated separately at his nearby pet crematoria, which is part of an animal sanctuary.

Oh that's so sad about your son's cat. It sounds like a beautiful, peaceful passing.

Vibes for Bracken to keep on improving - what a brave little soldier he is :)

Glad to hear that lovely Bracken is improving, hope he keeps that up ! Sorry to hear about your sons kitty, sounds like a lovely way for her to go, may she have sweet dreams xxx

Here's son's little cat, taken last year. She used to go sailing, over the years he had lots of flat moves, until he bought his house, she went everywhere with him.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I'm glad Bracken is improving:thumb: I'm so sorry about your son's cat, she's had a lovely life I'm sure she will be sadly missed xx

What a lovely Kitty, I am sorry to hear of her passing :cry: She obviously had a life full of adventures :love:

I hope that Bracken is improving a little more now ?

Good morning MM, Well, we gave him some Recovery at 5:30 am. Then I went down the road armed with scissors and cut down 3 huge sow thistle. Brought it home and soaked it. He's nearly eaten one. I drove up to p@h at 8am bought him some wild mountain hay and gave him a pile and have left him chewing on a bit. There were a couple of long stringy poos in his tray first thing this morning. Not properly formed into 'pearls' tho. They also looked full of cardboard. He's very alert and suspicious of my every movement.

These are since the sow thistle which he ate about 2 hours ago.
Hoping they'll improve today. Don't tell hubby, they're on a chopping board on the worktop.
I'll put them in a sandwich bag and bleach the board prior to going in the dishwasher. Bracken's laying in the hall now. He's quite active but still a bit of tooth grinding.

These are since the sow thistle which he ate about 2 hours ago.
Hoping they'll improve today. Don't tell hubby, they're on a chopping board on the worktop.
I'll put them in a sandwich bag and bleach the board prior to going in the dishwasher. Bracken's laying in the hall now. He's quite active but still a bit of tooth grinding.

Oh goodness, well that lot is definitely better out than in. Sending lots more vibes for him xx

Morning Jane, I'm running out of ideas. These poops appear to be solid with either paper or cardboard. It's not fur or hay, so hopefully it's on the move. Poor little chap must have been really blocked up. I mean, we had three emergency visits to the vet. I think the grinding must be pain caused by it all moving now. I'll give him a little metacam and some Zantac later. I just hope the Zantac is able to make his gut form the pearls soon. He's such a sweet boy too.

Morning Jane, I'm running out of ideas. These poops appear to be solid with either paper or cardboard. It's not fur or hay, so hopefully it's on the move. Poor little chap must have been really blocked up. I mean, we had three emergency visits to the vet. I think the grinding must be pain caused by it all moving now. I'll give him a little metacam and some Zantac later. I just hope the Zantac is able to make his gut form the pearls soon. He's such a sweet boy too.

It is highly likely that 'gripe' like pains are occurring. Unfortunately in this situation it may be a necessary evil as all the impacted matter passes through.

Good morning MM, Well, we gave him some Recovery at 5:30 am. Then I went down the road armed with scissors and cut down 3 huge sow thistle. Brought it home and soaked it. He's nearly eaten one. I drove up to p@h at 8am bought him some wild mountain hay and gave him a pile and have left him chewing on a bit. There were a couple of long stringy poos in his tray first thing this morning. Not properly formed into 'pearls' tho. They also looked full of cardboard. He's very alert and suspicious of my every movement.

Aww you're working very hard for the little man. I really hope you managed to get some rest and bring down your own stress levels.

I am glad the cardboard (if that's what it is) is passing through. That's a good thing, that there's no blockage.

Vibes for you both xx

Such a relief.....Bracken's coming out looking for food. He's had some Zantac and Metacam. He's eating his pellets, hay and cauliflower. Those sow thistles seemed to work a treat. Fingers crossed for it to continue.

Just have to wait and see if the poops are round later. He looks more settled, lets hope he's got rid of everything. Thank you for all the vibes and sympathetic ears. I'm going to leave him alone now, if he's not tired, I'm absolutely shattered.

Just have to wait and see if the poops are round later. He looks more settled, lets hope he's got rid of everything. Thank you for all the vibes and sympathetic ears. I'm going to leave him alone now, if he's not tired, I'm absolutely shattered.

I am surprised you are not in gut stasis yourself due to all the stress !!

Back