• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off to vet with Bracken. Some spare vibes please. Admitted again 8th June.

Bracken's been a bit off since early Wednesday. He kept laying under the kitchen table on the concrete tiles and wasn't his usual bouncy self. He stopped eating so I gave him some Emeprid and Metacam. By the late evening he was back to normal and eating his pellets and cabbage and apple. Yesterday he was bouncing around and eating everything. Until late last night. He went a bit quiet again. We gave him some more meds. This morning, he's back under the table. He's cold to the touch and was happy to be popped in his carrier with a fleece and is still in there waiting to go. I think his pee is quite reddish as his white fur is a little bit stained. I'm hoping it's nothing serious. Hoping it's a urinary infection and not a bladder stone or anything else major. He's quite depressed and quiet. His tummy is quite soft and he doesn't seem to be in bad pain, just seems miserable and uncomfortable. What concerns me is he's a terrible wallpaper ripper off ' er and chews any cardboard he can find.
Please wish us luck for a good outcome. Thank you.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Many healing vibes on the way for Bracken. I hope he will be feeling better soon. xxxxx

Thank you everyone. Vet says he has a mass in his abdomen. Been admitted for xray. I was so worried but got seen straight away. They start consulting at 9 am but Kerry started at 8:15, then spoke to Dr G, so hopefully we'll know soon. Such a worry.

Thank you. Vet just rung. Bracken's xray show's extended stomach. Half full of gas, half full of what looks like food. They're keeping him in for the rest of today. Given him gut stimulant and painkillers, filed some sharp points off his teeth, and are going to syringe feed him. I have to ring at 4 pm. I can't lose him, it would be letting his late rescuer, Judy, down. xxxxxx It's shocking how they sneak right into your heart!

Bracken's been a bit off since early Wednesday. He kept laying under the kitchen table on the concrete tiles and wasn't his usual bouncy self. He stopped eating so I gave him some Emeprid and Metacam. By the late evening he was back to normal and eating his pellets and cabbage and apple. Yesterday he was bouncing around and eating everything. Until late last night. He went a bit quiet again. We gave him some more meds. This morning, he's back under the table. He's cold to the touch and was happy to be popped in his carrier with a fleece and is still in there waiting to go. I think his pee is quite reddish as his white fur is a little bit stained. I'm hoping it's nothing serious. Hoping it's a urinary infection and not a bladder stone or anything else major. He's quite depressed and quiet. His tummy is quite soft and he doesn't seem to be in bad pain, just seems miserable and uncomfortable. What concerns me is he's a terrible wallpaper ripper off ' er and chews any cardboard he can find.
Please wish us luck for a good outcome. Thank you.

Oh no FB :(

Loads of vibes for Bracken and hugs for you

Thank you. Vet just rung. Bracken's xray show's extended stomach. Half full of gas, half full of what looks like food. They're keeping him in for the rest of today. Given him gut stimulant and painkillers, filed some sharp points off his teeth, and are going to syringe feed him. I have to ring at 4 pm. I can't lose him, it would be letting his late rescuer, Judy, down. xxxxxx It's shocking how they sneak right into your heart!

Oh dear :cry: Did the Vet mention 'tubing' him to decompress his stomach before trying to put more food in ?

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Just seen your update ...

They do go down quickly. I hope your vet can work miracles for Bracken xx

Vet didn't mention "tubing him". Our main man in charge is an exotics vet and well used to dealing with bunnies. I just have to put my faith in him. The last bunny I had with these symptoms had an enormous bladder stone lodged in his penis. The vet managed to get it out. Vet said Bracken's bladder looks just fine. He said he had some very sharp points on his teeth and that could account for his wanting to eat everything. He was really stuffing the sweetheart cabbage in, which could also account for the gas.

Back