• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off to vet with Bracken. Some spare vibes please. Admitted again 8th June.

Pleased to hear he came through the GA OK :)

I guess he will be given Metacam to come home with? My vet gives antibiotics when she sees there's a bit of ulceration x
Hi MM,
We have to carry on with the gut meds and the metacam for a little while. No antibiotics, in case it's messes up his tummy again. Vet said there was no infection in his mouth.
Bracken's having a little rest in his litter tray, so I'll leave him alone for a couple of hours. I'm going to try and catch up on some sleep too.
I really love this little bunny and he trusts me so much, so I've been on a real guilt trip this past week or so.

Hi MM,
We have to carry on with the gut meds and the metacam for a little while. No antibiotics, in case it's messes up his tummy again. Vet said there was no infection in his mouth.
Bracken's having a little rest in his litter tray, so I'll leave him alone for a couple of hours. I'm going to try and catch up on some sleep too.
I really love this little bunny and he trusts me so much, so I've been on a real guilt trip this past week or so.

It's very hard. With practice I hope you might find it easier not to blame yourself.

I hope you have a lovely little nap, in the knowledge that Bracken is glad to be home and will be feeling good very soon :)

Thank you everyone who sent vibes for Bracken and me. They really DO work. He isn't grinding now either.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Good morning. Bracken's been running around up and down the hall. Overnight he's had some water, hay and sweetheart cabbage. Hardly any poops, appears to be passing cecos into his mouth. Occasionally grinds his teeth, but we gave him metacam and some Recovery this morning. His fur is starting to look a bit cleaner as he's washing himself a lot. All I can do is be patient and not rush him. I know he's been very sick..so any little improvement is huge for him.

Good morning. Bracken's been running around up and down the hall. Overnight he's had some water, hay and sweetheart cabbage. Hardly any poops, appears to be passing cecos into his mouth. Occasionally grinds his teeth, but we gave him metacam and some Recovery this morning. His fur is starting to look a bit cleaner as he's washing himself a lot. All I can do is be patient and not rush him. I know he's been very sick..so any little improvement is huge for him.

This is sounding promising. Vibes for more improvement today xx

DSC_0380.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's my boy this afternoon.
Bless him. xxx

Hi Jane, He's keeps washing his fur, then starts the tooth grinding. All I can think is that he doesn't like the taste of the paraffin that's still on his fur. He's eating little bits of cabbage, apple and grass. I think I'll give him some syringe feed in a minute. He's very much more alert than he was and he likes to play chase up the hall. I'm trying to be patient, but it's so hard. The vet said his teeth are ok, his tummy's good too. They can't find anything else wrong. It's like he's scared to start eating properly. I can't risk him filling up with gas again. I bought him a bag of burgess mint flavoured for baby buns and dwarf rabbits. If I throw some into his litter tray over the hay. He eats some.

Hi Jane, He's keeps washing his fur, then starts the tooth grinding. All I can think is that he doesn't like the taste of the paraffin that's still on his fur. He's eating little bits of cabbage, apple and grass. I think I'll give him some syringe feed in a minute. He's very much more alert than he was and he likes to play chase up the hall. I'm trying to be patient, but it's so hard. The vet said his teeth are ok, his tummy's good too. They can't find anything else wrong. It's like he's scared to start eating properly. I can't risk him filling up with gas again. I bought him a bag of burgess mint flavoured for baby buns and dwarf rabbits. If I throw some into his litter tray over the hay. He eats some.

Is his output getting any better ?

I cant remember if he is having Ranitidine (Zantac) as part of his treatment regime ? I mention it as when a Rabbit has been anorexic or is not eating too well gastric ulceration readily occurs. If the Rabbit is also on Metacam this can exacerbate things. Ranitidine aids the healing of gastric ulcers. It also has a prokinetic effect on the lower GI tract x

I have to say that paraffin doesn't taste good.

I'm glad he's eating the baby Burgess - mine like that mint flavour too :)

Is his output getting any better ?

I cant remember if he is having Ranitidine (Zantac) as part of his treatment regime ? I mention it as when a Rabbit has been anorexic or is not eating too well gastric ulceration readily occurs. If the Rabbit is also on Metacam this can exacerbate things. Ranitidine aids the healing of gastric ulcers. It also has a prokinetic effect on the lower GI tract x

Yes he has Zantac and Emeprid.

That one's covered then xx

I've given him some Zantac, he's allowed 0.4 ml twice a day. I must admit, it's easier to get into him than the emeprid. He smells nice and minty now. Just ran off up the hall again. The carpet needs a good shampoo but will have to wait because he likes me rolling around on the floor with him. He sits on my back and buzzes in my ear, when I lay down. He's such a little fighter.

I've given him some Zantac, he's allowed 0.4 ml twice a day. I must admit, it's easier to get into him than the emeprid. He smells nice and minty now. Just ran off up the hall again. The carpet needs a good shampoo but will have to wait because he likes me rolling around on the floor with him. He sits on my back and buzzes in my ear, when I lay down. He's such a little fighter.

Zantac does taste minty !! I take it myself. Bracken sounds to be a real character :love:

Back