• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven needs vibes, falling, circling update March 11

Pets Mum and Inspector Morse,
Thank you for the positive vibes. I am trying to stay positive. He has overcome so much in the past, yet I keep thinking of our bridge bunny Black Velvet who had a similar condition and was unable to get better. Raven is so loved and I cannot imagine waking up without seeing his little face waiting for a treat. He just has to get better.

He has fought very hard to overcome his significant problems and you have always done your best for him. I am sure you will continue to base any decisions about his ongoing treatment on what is in his best interests. Only you and your Vet are in the position to judge when enough is enough. I continue to send him many positive vibes. I am not sure if your Vet would agree to give him a trial on prochlorperazine or cyclizine which might help with the dizziness he will be feeling due to his vestibular disease. Other drugs could be tried too. Whilst surgery is not an option for Raven the article in the link below contains a mention of the medical treatment which could be tried, with the understanding that it won’t be curative, but palliative. Please be aware that the link contains graphic surgical images.

Also, alongside Baytril an abx called Aztithomycin has a proven history of being very beneficial in the treatment of otitis media.

IMG_2259.jpeg

I'm so sorry Raven got to the lowest point you've seen him in years... Poor boy. I hope changing back to Baytril and the higher dose of Meloxicam will help him. It's so good that he's still taking his syringe feeds well, and that he's still strong and determined. I really hope he'll improve and get better, bunny momma. It must be so hard to see him like this. I'm sending him lots and lots of healing vibes. ❤️

Inspector Morse,
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and support.

I had Azithromycine before for one of my late bunnies, though liquid has a very short shelf life.I can ask vet about it when I see him with Heidi.

I still have Trimethoprim sulfa too which used to help Raven.
Raven was on Chloramphenical when he got worse.
He has meclezine, though I do not think it helps much, plus he hates getting the pill dissolved in water.

I scanned the first link and saw a reference to metocloprimide and its central nervous system effects on page 5. I wonder if this is why I saw a glimmer of imorovement after his feeding since he got metoclop around that time.

Last edited:
A Reader of books,
Thank you.
It is hard to see him this way, and see a few small glimmers of hope that keep me from falling apart.

Today at Heidi's appt the vet asked about Raven who he saw on Tuesday. I told him I saw a glimmer of hope, yet not much progress. I asked about additional abx like Azithromycine if Baytril does not help. Vet said it can be tried, yet not used initially since it may impact bacterial balance in some bunnies. Vet will prescribe it for Raven if the Baytril does not result in improvement by next week. He explained that fewer bacteria are resistant to the Chloramphenicol which is why he thought it would help Raven which it did initially. I wonder if I should have kept him on it longer during his initial cycle.
I may not have much to post on Raven until we give the Baytril time to work, yet I hope he will remain in your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
Bunny momma, I'm new to this thread. So sorry to hear Raven is struggling and glad he is in good hands. Will keep you both in my thoughts.

It's good that you have something different to try if the Baytril doesn't help. I hope it does, though. In the meantime, of course I'll keep your shiny Raven in my thoughts and will continue to send him lots of vibes. ❤️

Thank you friends. Your support means so much as we attempt to turn things around for him
Today I removed his litter box because his condition kept him from turning around or backing up when he went between the box and the side of his enclosure, pushing his food bowl with him. He was not wedged, but he needed me to move him. He has not used it most of the year, except to jump in when we cleaned his area.
When I take him out for syringe feeds, he has me supporting him, so he is doing a lot of washing of the hip he falls on. He can straighten and go to the other side which I encourage with gentle message which I know he likes because he makes that bunny purr sound and he licks my hand. I do my best to keep him clean and dry, yet bunny saliva must be the secret to his shiny fur!

Last edited:
Aw, sounds like his litter box wasn't being very useful to him anyway, then, so that sounds for the best to take it out if he can get caught behind it. It sounds like he really enjoys his syringe feed and massage time. ❤️ What a sweet boy enjoying his gentle massages so much.

Back