• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jake and Fern bonding

Such a lovely result :love:

A plus for me has been that we've seen much more of Jake. He looks to be a really lovely bunny :love:

They look so happy together. They bonded really quick didn't they!! [emoji3]

But you left them together at night and sat with them did you? How long did you watch over them for before feeling you could leave them to it?

Is that the way most people like to bond bunnies? I guess it depends how they are getting on. The last thing you want to do is keep seperating them when they seem relaxed together xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

aww, there is nothing so lovely as bunnies finding love

twistedtiggerz - it really depends on the resources (time, energy, other commitments, gin) of the bonder, plus how well the bunnies are getting on. Sometimes when people split up their bunnies during bonding they find the bunnies are having to start over on each date so it can be harder to progress. When I bonded my trio & attempted to bond my quad I had to split them at night as was to frazzled to watch them safely & I can't function without sleep anymore. I was really lucky in that all my pairs have bonded really quickly, they've been left to their own devices after one night of supervision. They gave me clear signs they'd be ok. Its daunting but you'll find your own way & hopefully get lots of support on here (sorry for answering - I know I'm not Liz but just another perspective)

Thank you everyone. :love: Yes Jake is lovely, I didn't realize I didn't really post about him as he's just no bother bless him and luckily hasn't had any illness threads.

Personally I prefer to bond starting with a very small space and together 24/7, I then gradually introduce things after 24hrs of good behaviour (grooming, eating, sitting together) whether that's more space or a neutral litter tray etc. I watch them constantly for the first day and sleep nearby the pen for the first night at least. This has luckily worked for all my bonds. My very first bond was Beano and Gordon (female/male), and Gordon was terrified he wouldn't eat so I did split them to give them rests so Gordon could relax and eat, however as J&B said I found this would set them back and they'd have the initial chase/fur pull/humpy behaviour all over again so left them side by side in pens until Gordon was comfortable enough to eat around Beano then started with them in the pen constantly.

With Jake and Fern on the second day together my partner was watching them while I was at work, but they were no longer chasing and both comfortable with eachother, so we could sit in another room providing we could hear if there was any upsets. We're at the stage now they have 2 litter trays which they share nicely, a food bowl for forage, apple sticks and more space every 24hrs. On Sunday we'll attach the pen to the large dog crate base in their room then if all is well it will be the full room. :)

Really hope this continues to go just as well :love: With our outdoor buns, we've left them in each space for 3-4 days to a week, as it's quite a big step to go through the tubes for some bunnies. And the spaces are kinda a set size :lol: Also we're not watching 24/7 unless they're acting up and fingers crossed that's never happened (IMO Lopsy's just too laid back :lol:).

Thank you for the tips. As initially Mr Chief will not be safe to bond after his neutering we thought we would put baby in little puppy crate at night and Mr Chief in his extra extra large one next to each other. Mischief sleeps in crate at night or he jumps on our heads in our sleep!

When we start bonding we are planning to put them in puppy pen in lounge as it's neutral area. The big crate would be a squeeze for two I think. I presume they need enough space to hop about? Mr Chief is only in there a few hours at night as I go to bed around 2am and my partner lets him out at 6am.

We can't really extend the area until we move puppy pen into bedroom. Then we can open it up and attach the big dog crate aswell. We can add in litter tray and other things slowly though as Liz suggested.

I think as long as I wait til I am having a good week with my pain I could manage to sleep on the sofa 1-2 nights. I imagine I will be sitting there constantly watching anyway [emoji23] I will find it fascinating watching them together as not bonded bunnies before.

Obviously if I feel Mischief is bullying baby too much I will seperate them at night or if it gets too much. But I like the idea of keeping them together if possible. I imagine it's confusing if they get split up every night. But only if they are ready. If my pain is bad I will have to do it slowly.

It's lovely that Jake and Fern are bonding so well. I will definitely be getting tips off you Liz and Joey and Boo as experienced 'bonders' [emoji6] plus anyone else.

I have kept the links by bunny lady aswell to read.

I feel encouraged about this as have so many people to help on here and everyone loves hearing about how the buns are doing. Liz your buns are so sweet and love seeing the pix of them together [emoji7]

Unfortunately I can't drink gin now due to health issues. Is that going to be a problem? [emoji23]

xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you everyone :love: It sounds as though you have a good plan for bonding with Mr Chief, and I'm sure it will all go well :D No gin shouldn't be a problem but I would recommend snacks :lol:

We've opened up the pen onto the dog crate, Fern was busy exploring whereas Jake is all about food :lol: So this is what the set up looks like now. I'm going to add the other litter tray and some vetbed tomorrow then it will be the full room. Excuse Jake's ears, he's having ear treatment atm. I walked past earlier and saw them lied out together and Fern was grooming Jake, but sadly didn't have my phone! :love:

IMG_20210523_130238961_HDR by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20210523_130242551_HDR by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20210523_130602926_HDR by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20210523_130730195_HDR by Hliz, on Flickr

Aw, it's so good that they're still okay after you gave them more space. Both Jake and Fern are so cute. :love: Every update about their bonding makes me smile. It looks like such an easy bond. :love:

Thank you everyone :love: It sounds as though you have a good plan for bonding with Mr Chief, and I'm sure it will all go well :D No gin shouldn't be a problem but I would recommend snacks :lol:

We've opened up the pen onto the dog crate, Fern was busy exploring whereas Jake is all about food :lol: So this is what the set up looks like now. I'm going to add the other litter tray and some vetbed tomorrow then it will be the full room. Excuse Jake's ears, he's having ear treatment atm. I walked past earlier and saw them lied out together and Fern was grooming Jake,but sadly didn't have my phone! :love:

IMG_20210523_130238961_HDR by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20210523_130242551_HDR by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20210523_130602926_HDR by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20210523_130730195_HDR by Hliz, on Flickr

This is all fantastic news, I’m especially happy that Fern has been grooming Jake. Actually crying happy tears here :love: lovely photos :love:

Thank you :love: They are a lovely pair, and it's so nice to watch and be with them :love: Jake isn't much of a groomer, and neither was Jasmine, so seeing groomies was really special, hope Jake will be giving them out too though!!

Thank you :love: They are a lovely pair, and it's so nice to watch and be with them :love: Jake isn't much of a groomer, and neither was Jasmine, so seeing groomies was really special, hope Jake will be giving them out too though!!

When Fern was with Frosty she did groom him but it was quite rare tbh. It was mainly Frosty grooming her! so it’s nice to hear she is grooming Jake :love:

Back