• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Jake please

Thank you everyone :love: Jake seems ok health wise, but in the night there was lots of chasing, fur pulling and feet stamping going on :( Must just have been the vet trip that caused it, although they seemed ok at the time it was just since getting home.

Thank you everyone :love: Jake seems ok health wise, but in the night there was lots of chasing, fur pulling and feet stamping going on :( Must just have been the vet trip that caused it, although they seemed ok at the time it was just since getting home.

I hope they settle down soon. Sending lots of vibes xx

Thank you, they seem to be forgiving eachother now! still on edge but are voluntarily sharing litter trays. I'm not sure about Jake, he is eating hay and bright but is lying down in the litter tray which he's never done before, and I am questioning whether his head is ever so slightky tilted?? He is eating herbs, declined romaine lettuce/other veg.

Good to hear they are sorting things out.
Does he have any eye movements, nystagmus, along with his slightly tilted look?

I’m glad they seem better together, I hope Jake is settled soon. I suppose his mouth and face might be sore from the dental :?

Thank you, Fern went from chasing and pulling his fur out to has since been non stop cuddling him and licking his head! So they are firm friends again luckily. There is no unusual eye movements, however the day before the dental I thought his head was very slightly tilted but no one else could see it, he also jumped into the litter tray and fell very slightly to the right hand side (side of the tilt). He did this again yesterday so not related to the dental since it also occured before. It's still only very slight and not obviously noticeable, but now my partner also agrees it's there. He is choosing to lie down and move much less than usual, but is eating and pooping. Taking him back to the vets this morning.

Is there a test to differentiate between an inner ear infection and EC?

I’m glad Fern is looking after him well now :love: I don’t know about the tests. I imagine they will inspect his ears and suggest treating him for EC anyway. Did they check his ears before? Wondering if they have and if it’s dislodged wax or made his ear sore?

Thank you, Fern went from chasing and pulling his fur out to has since been non stop cuddling him and licking his head! So they are firm friends again luckily. There is no unusual eye movements, however the day before the dental I thought his head was very slightly tilted but no one else could see it, he also jumped into the litter tray and fell very slightly to the right hand side (side of the tilt). He did this again yesterday so not related to the dental since it also occured before. It's still only very slight and not obviously noticeable, but now my partner also agrees it's there. He is choosing to lie down and move much less than usual, but is eating and pooping. Taking him back to the vets this morning.

Is there a test to differentiate between an inner ear infection and EC?

Diagnostics are needed to obtain definitive answers but these signs can give some clues

https://www.vets-now.com/professionals/2017/08/29/cns-disease-rabbits-e-cuniculi/

I suspect you are not imagining things. I would contact the Vet and ask if ‘cover all bases’ action is needed ie a course of abx and a course of Panacur. I’d give Metacam too.

I'm glad Fern and Jake are firm friends again. :love: I'm so sorry Jake is still having trouble, though. It sounds like a good idea to take him back to the vets today, yes, and I hope they'll be able to make him more comfortable. Sending him lots of vibes.

More vibes on the way for Jake. Can't add any advice as you've already been given the best. :) I really hope he'll be okay. (((((Sending hugs))))))) xxxxx

I hope Jake gets on well at the vets today. I hope the vet can establish what is going on with him.

Thank you, the vet couldn't find anything wrong during his exam including neurological. The head tilt is very slight, we just see it as we know it's not normal Jake and when he's moving he's leaning very slightly to the right. We have a 28 day course of panacur for both of them, and we'll bring him back if he gets any worse. From Thursday he is already also on emeprid, baytril and loxicom. Is there a day I need to do a full blitz/clean when treating for EC?? I've got no experience with it but see this mentioned?

Perhaps it was the stress of the dental, maybe not EC but it's hard to say. I think it's 20 days when you are supposed to deep clean but someone else will be along to confirm that. I hope Jake will be his normal self soon. xx

Thank you, the vet couldn't find anything wrong during his exam including neurological. The head tilt is very slight, we just see it as we know it's not normal Jake and when he's moving he's leaning very slightly to the right. We have a 28 day course of panacur for both of them, and we'll bring him back if he gets any worse. From Thursday he is already also on emeprid, baytril and loxicom. Is there a day I need to do a full blitz/clean when treating for EC?? I've got no experience with it but see this mentioned?

Anecdotally it is claimed that the full blitz clean needs to be done on days 21 and 28 of treatment using a 10% bleach solution. If you don’t want to use bleach you could use a steam cleaner. Steam kills EC spores.

Whilst EC is generally not a threat to human health people with a weak immune system could be at risk of zoonotic transmission. As you are pregnant and also have health problems I would be especially careful re hand hygiene. I’d use disposable gloves when cleaning litter trays.

Thank you both, I do have a steam cleaner. Oh really, I will do re gloves. It's hard as to others he looks well, and he is eating/pooping but it's very unusual for him to be quiet. He's spent all day in the litter tray again and Fern is with him, but usually they'd be in their house, or on the little bed

Thank you both, I do have a steam cleaner. Oh really, I will do re gloves. It's hard as to others he looks well, and he is eating/pooping but it's very unusual for him to be quiet. He's spent all day in the litter tray again and Fern is with him, but usually they'd be in their house, or on the little bed

He is probably not moving much as he feels dizzy if he moves.

Back