• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with the nest of a spayed doe?

FredW

Alpha Buck
OK, here we go again, Bunbuns is building a nest again. She was spayed quite late really, she was just over two years old, so she had the habit of building one most of her life already. Today she started moving all the hay from one litter box to the other one. She just stopped, so got loads of cleaning to do now with hay all over the place from where she carried it around, and to fill the litter box up she emptied. after all Fluffy didn't decide he wanted a nest so he should still be able to eat. Just wondering what you'd do with the actual nest she started building, destroy it or leave it. The problem is if I leave it, she wont use the litter box and will pee and poop everywhere else, if I destroy it, will that distress her? normally since being spayed she did a few things of moving hay around, this time she nearly emptied a full underbed storage box. So any suggestions are much appreciated. :)

OK, here we go again, Bunbuns is building a nest again. She was spayed quite late really, she was just over two years old, so she had the habit of building one most of her life already. Today she started moving all the hay from one litter box to the other one. She just stopped, so got loads of cleaning to do now with hay all over the place from where she carried it around, and to fill the litter box up she emptied. after all Fluffy didn't decide he wanted a nest so he should still be able to eat. Just wondering what you'd do with the actual nest she started building, destroy it or leave it. The problem is if I leave it, she wont use the litter box and will pee and poop everywhere else, if I destroy it, will that distress her? normally since being spayed she did a few things of moving hay around, this time she nearly emptied a full underbed storage box. So any suggestions are much appreciated. :)

If you destroy it she'll just build another one. Can you provide another litter box using a different substrate to hay, a substrate she wont use for nesting.

yeah that's what I thought. Mind you, she had a little sleep, now she's eating her hay cookie and hasn't even gone to the litter tray again. I know Fluffy will destroy the nest as soon as he sees it, he did it last time. As for a different litter tray, unfortunately I don't have anything else I can use. or the space to put another box. :? I am hoping she'll still go in the outside the pen one even if she wont go into the one she build her nest in. I guess I should know soon, she's quite regular and should go to toilet within the next 30 minutes before she has her afternoon sleep.

yeah that's what I thought. Mind you, she had a little sleep, now she's eating her hay cookie and hasn't even gone to the litter tray again. I know Fluffy will destroy the nest as soon as he sees it, he did it last time. As for a different litter tray, unfortunately I don't have anything else I can use. or the space to put another box. :? I am hoping she'll still go in the outside the pen one even if she wont go into the one she build her nest in. I guess I should know soon, she's quite regular and should go to toilet within the next 30 minutes before she has her afternoon sleep.

To be honest, given the circumstances, I would remove the nest anyway, even if she builds another one!

To be honest, given the circumstances, I would remove the nest anyway, even if she builds another one!

Well Fluffy just done that job for me. he went for his hay and toilet before his sleep, destroyed the whole thing and then peed all over it, I think we can safely say he doesn't want children lol
now she's in the other litter tray, the one she emptied before, eating the fresh hay I put in and doing her toilet etc. I just hope she doesn't end up doing it again.

Well Fluffy just done that job for me. he went for his hay and toilet before his sleep, destroyed the whole thing and then peed all over it, I think we can safely say he doesn't want children lol
now she's in the other litter tray, the one she emptied before, eating the fresh hay I put in and doing her toilet etc. I just hope she doesn't end up doing it again.

Good old Fluffy! :lol:

It's probably more distressing for you than for her ..

Good old Fluffy! :lol:

It's probably more distressing for you than for her ..

Yeah he did it last time, and then she just does something else. In fact she hasn't tried since and she's just eating more hay cookie again. So yeah you're probably right, those things are always distressing for me as I just don't know what to do and how to handle it. But then it seems that rabbits are a lot more living in the moment than being stuck on things, so he destroyed it and she's not bothered. while I was thinking, shall I, shall I not, is it best to leave etc... lol

Back