• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Lillian please - U/D 9th July

Quick update for every bun. Nurse Jan took Lillian to see the vet for the follow up appointment tonight and she is delighted with how the wound is looking and in gernal how well the surgery went. It is also reported that the vet doesn't 'blame me' as such for Lillian's bladder stone.
All is well except for the factLillian still does not have her appetite back and is on the critical care and gut meds and Jan is to ring the vets back on monday with an update.
The vet also stated that Henry could be reunited with Lillian - which is great, but the last few days seems to have been cross messages with regards to that.
I will update you all again tomorrow with any developments from the eating issues.
Thank you all again
Craig x

Quick update for every bun. Nurse Jan took Lillian to see the vet for the follow up appointment tonight and she is delighted with how the wound is looking and in gernal how well the surgery went. It is also reported that the vet doesn't 'blame me' as such for Lillian's bladder stone.
All is well except for the factLillian still does not have her appetite back and is on the critical care and gut meds and Jan is to ring the vets back on monday with an update.
The vet also stated that Henry could be reunited with Lillian - which is great, but the last few days seems to have been cross messages with regards to that.
I will update you all again tomorrow with any developments from the eating issues.
Thank you all again
Craig x

I am glad that the Vet was pleased with Lillian's wound healing. Maybe Lillian will start to eat more if she is back with Henry and her routine is then more 'normal' ? Sending more vibes xx

Thank you all again
Craig x

great news. fingers crossed for continued improvement

love to Lillian & Henry too xxx

Hopefully Lillian will feel more secure and 'normal' back with Henry which will encourage her to nom. She's been through so much lately it must be very confusing for her. Jan sounds like she is doing an awesome job. Hillian are lucky to have such caring owners. Topping up the vibes xx

Thanks for update Craig, hope you are enjoying your much needed break xx Pleased to hear that buns can be reunited, really hope that Henry can get her eating more. I had a real problem getting Treacle to eat properly after her last dental, it took well over a week, during which time I was syringe feeding her every day, she's fine now, I'm sure Lillian will be too xxx

Thank you everybun for your continued comments and vibes for Lillian. My apologies for not updating sooner. I had a long day drive back from the Isle of Man yesterday and got back very late last night so didn't really get time to update properly once I'd seen Lillian.
She is still not really eating and hasn't developed her appetite at all. She is still on gut meds and critical care. The situation appears to be that she has her gut meds, then critical care (which she does not really like) and then has a small nibble on something, but not a full on nom. I gave her some fresh carrot tops last night - she was not interested at all.
I did observe her doing a fairly hefty wee and she does seem to be much more comfortable peeing - which I can take as a positive. There is some output - small had dark/black poop - which I guess is because there is little going in other than critical care and the odd nibble on something. I guess that in some ways, if she loses some weight this way it will be good, but conversly this is not an ideal way to have a body lose weight.
I picked her up last night and her fur felt much better - softer. He wound and underneath is very very nice and not as swolen as it was pre-op, so that must also be a positive. The vet said that the stone itself weighed alot and she has atributed the removal of the stone to the slight weight loss. I am not sure I would concur completely with that.
The vet has asked us to updated her today or tomorrow - I think I will do so today and see if there is another way we can encourage Lillian to regain her appetite. She presents as lethargic and not really bothered to do much - but again, she has been through some pretty major invasive surgery and I guess that perhaps she still feels disrupted by that. My only major concern is that the lack of appetite may be indicitive of something else going on inside - something we missed?
I will update the thread once I've spoken with the vet.
Thank you all so much again for following.
Craig xx

Thanks for updating. I hope that the vet can provide some help for Lillian today. Sending lots more vibes for her.

I hope her appetite picks up soon. What meds is she on? Hopefully the vet has some suggestions today:thumb:

Ok Lillian followers - it's 8:30pm and more update. I've decided to divert my salary from work straight to the vets. It's simpler!
I rang the vets tonight (I'm on first name terms with them) and stated that Lillian is still not really eating and is dis-interested in food. So we went along for 7:30 and Lillian had a further check up. She's lost another small amount of weight. But... the good news is that the vet sounded her tummy and she said there was good gut movement. So I'm taking that as a positive. Lillian has been presenting as lethargic - well, that was up until tonights vet trip. Clearly Lillian had had quite enough of the vets table and I spent more time playing 'catch the flying rabbit' than she did sitting on the table. Then the teeth grinding started - never a good sign, and that was Lillian speak for "I've had quite enough of this thank you very much".
The vet decided that the best way forward is to increase (or supplement) her pain relief as she may still have pain. So, the vet decided to give her a pain relief injection and we now also have 4 syringes of new pain med which apparently you squirt onto the gums and it's absorbed into the blood stream from the gums? I have no idea what it''s called but I am guided by the vets and hopefully this will make Lillian more comfortable (if she is indeed in further pain) and we have to ring the vets back in 2 days with an update. When she got home, she has decided to voluntarily eat a little bit of food - although I would suggest it's a bit early for any sign that this new pain medication is going to be effective.
So that is the latest. We're still monitoring and keeping everything crossed. This is quite a road to recovery but I am trying to be as vigilant as I possibly can. Lillian is deserving of everything I can give to her, after I've let her down for so long.
I will update you all as the days progress. And thank you all for your continued vibes.
Craig xx

I really really hope she'll be back nomming more and more soon, sending her more vibes xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thank you for taking the time out to update Craig, you must be frazzled. Really hope that Lillian starts eating better soon, sending loads more nomming vibes for her xxx

Oh bless her. I hope her appetite returns & you get a break from the worry. Get well Lillian vibes

Back