• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD- Attention Tamsin and Jane

The protection VHD vaccines provide is excellent. I've never heard of a VHD case in a vaccinated rabbit. It doesn't really matter the how's of VHD transmittance because even if it got to your rabbits the antibodies from the vaccine would kill it.

The protection VHD vaccines provide is excellent. I've never heard of a VHD case in a vaccinated rabbit. It doesn't really matter the how's of VHD transmittance because even if it got to your rabbits the antibodies from the vaccine would kill it.

That ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:)

Wise words from all the people contributing to this thread :thumb:

I hope it has helped calm your fears Rachylou (((HUGS)))

How is it they can still get myxi when vaccinated?
Our buns are vaccinated using lapinject, so could they still get vhd?

Because the myxi vaccination is made from a different virus called Shope Fibroma. The antibodies produced in reaction to this also provide immunity to myxi but it's not 100% effective.

Vhd vaccine is made using the actual VHD virus.

Because the myxi vaccination is made from a different virus called Shope Fibroma. The antibodies produced in reaction to this also provide immunity to myxi but it's not 100% effective.

Vhd vaccine is made using the actual VHD virus.

This

Our buns are vaccinated using lapinject, so could they still get vhd?

Your Rabbits are vaccinated against VHD

They are protected.

You KNOW that and you KNOW it is the OCD making you doubt it.

Lapinject is the vaccine all my Rabbits receive.

I really hope I am not jumped on for this and I stress I am NOT trying to be nasty ok......

The amount of panicking you are doing and the way you are reacting this is not OCD this is something else this is a different mental health issue altogether and I urge you to consult your doctor

I really hope I am not jumped on for this and I stress I am NOT trying to be nasty ok......

The amount of panicking you are doing and the way you are reacting this is not OCD this is something else this is a different mental health issue altogether and I urge you to consult your doctor

Im not going to jump on you, but i must disagree. I have first hand experience of OCD for 10yrs, what i'm seeing typed out is exactly a very severe case of OCD.

I am not jumping on you either but I disagree with you as I have been under the care of psychiatrists for almost 5 years now and as Graham said what I suffer with is a server case of ocd.

I am not jumping on you either but I disagree with you as I have been under the care of psychiatrists for almost 5 years now and as Graham said what I suffer with is a server case of ocd.

but isnt it ocd coupled with something else too? I have worked with people with severe ocd and its normally ocd and something else that makes you feel and react the way for example you are about this

but isnt it ocd coupled with something else too? I have worked with people with severe ocd and its normally ocd and something else that makes you feel and react the way for example you are about this

My understanding is that the Obsession (infection by VHD/Myxi) is coupled with the Compulsion - but the problem in this situation is that Rachy doesn't have a compulsion to rule out the obsession, so is calling for assistance to help logically break the obsession at this time, so in fact is using us as the compulsion to fight the obsession :)

Can you tell i've researched and been involved with OCD for a while? :lol:

I just spoke to a vet nurse and bless her she was very understanding too, everyone at the practice knows about my ocd and is very good at reasuring me when it comes to the safety of my bunnies.
She said that if a bunny could get vhd from me driving past a rabbit then it could get sick from a bunny outside the window which wouldnt happen so she said that she can confidently say that it is not a problem and there is nothing to worry about.
She said she would be gobsmacked if anything were to happen to them as she has never heard of a vaccinated rabbits contracting vhd.

I just called back to clarify that the wildie was right next to the car on the verge and she said she actually just spoke to the vet who said even if the bunny was in the car with me it still couldnt affect my babies because they are vaccinated! Would you agree to this?

Last edited:
I suffer with ocd and find it crippling at times. I have suffered with panic disorder with agoraphobia, gad, ptsd.

I totally can relate to the immense pain and suffering ocd can cause- it is worse than agoraphobia to me, when i was terrified to leave the house.

Ocd totally cripples the mind. I would say this is severe ocd. Anxiety is the underlying thing with ocd, so it could be comorbid with other problems, but i don't think that matters. I'm sure you are sorting yourself out or getting the help you need.

As regards to the vhd- your buns are vaccinated so i wouldn't worry at all- it's only unvaccinated buns that can die from vhd. Vhd vacines work extremely well as Tamsin pointed out.

Loads of hugs *hugs*
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I suffer with ocd and find it crippling at times. I have suffered with panic disorder with agoraphobia, gad, ptsd.

I totally can relate to the immense pain and suffering ocd can cause- it is worse than agoraphobia to me, when i was terrified to leave the house.

Ocd totally cripples the mind. I would say this is severe ocd. Anxiety is the underlying thing with ocd, so it could be comorbid with other problems, but i don't think that matters. I'm sure you are sorting yourself out or getting the help you need.

As regards to the vhd- your buns are vaccinated so i wouldn't worry at all- it's only unvaccinated buns that can die from vhd. Vhd vacines work extremely well as Tamsin pointed out.

Loads of hugs *hugs*
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thankyou Ambience that means a lot ((hugs))

I just spoke to a vet nurse and bless her she was very understanding too, everyone at the practice knows about my ocd and is very good at reasuring me when it comes to the safety of my bunnies.
She said that if a bunny could get vhd from me driving past a rabbit then it could get sick from a bunny outside the window which wouldnt happen so she said that she can confidently say that it is not a problem and there is nothing to worry about.
She said she would be gobsmacked if anything were to happen to them as she has never heard of a vaccinated rabbits contracting vhd.

I just called back to clarify that the wildie was right next to the car on the verge and she said she actually just spoke to the vet who said even if the bunny was in the car with me it still couldnt affect my babies because they are vaccinated! Would you agree to this?

100% yes Rachy :)

Yes 1 million %

Your bunnies are fine. All 11 of my buns have Lapinject and I am certain they will never get VHD.

Thankyou guys! :)

The fact that my two have the Metaclopramide injection straight after the vaccine due to their stress= statis issues would that affect the effectivity of the vaccine? :shock:

Thankyou guys! :)

The fact that my two have the Metaclopramide injection straight after the vaccine due to their stress= statis issues would that affect the effectivity of the vaccine? :shock:

Nope, not at all. metaclop will just make them want to eat hun :)

Back