• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very worried about Apricot :(

Oh also infection spread throughout whole lungs apparently speckles all over them on xray. William said she's very sick and if this doesn't work, qol.. So pts

She hasn't even been sneezing or any discharge like before (til Saturday evening then discharge happened) how could this have got so bad so fast. I must have missed something major

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Graicee, please don't blame yourself ! You're an excellent bunny carer & if you didn't spot she was poorly earlier it will have been because there was nothing to notice or it came on very quickly. Sending more well wishes. Everything crossed she responds well to her treatment. Is Willoughby supportive?

You acted as soon as you knew something wasn't right. Bacterial infections really can spread very quickly (bacteria can double every 20 mins). She's getting appropriate treatment now that it's been spotted. Antibiotics may take a couple of days to start to make a noticeable impact.

I think we've all questioned why we didn't spot something sooner, but rabbits are so good at hiding illnesses, so take it easy on yourself so you can concentrate on some TLC for Apricot.

Sending so many hugs and vibes. They are so good at hiding illness, you got help for as soon as you could. No one could do any more xx

I was glad she got to vets today. I hope the meds and nebulizing will be 100% successful.
Hugs.
Can you give her something to distract her if you must use a box to nebulize her?

So sorry to hear how sick she is. Acute pneumonia can come on and progress in hours and often there isn’t any upper respiratory symptoms like sneezing and nasal discharge. So it isn’t always possible to realise how unwell the Rabbit is until they are very unwell :(

I hope she will respond to treatment, poor girly :(

ETA Bisolvon could help thin out the mucus and a bronchodilator eg ventolin via a mask could help open up the airways in her lungs

Last edited:
Don't beat yourself up Graciee, I agree with J & B you are always on the ball with your bunnies. Sending many many vibes for her xxx

Thanks everyone, I'm just really beating myself up that she got to this stage and I didn't really notice, on Saturday she was stealing Willoughby's food still! She isn't now tho :(

Graicee, please don't blame yourself ! You're an excellent bunny carer & if you didn't spot she was poorly earlier it will have been because there was nothing to notice or it came on very quickly. Sending more well wishes. Everything crossed she responds well to her treatment. Is Willoughby supportive?

Yea he is actually, he's a very grumpy little bun with humans but he absolutely adores Apricot, he'd be lost without her :(

So sorry to hear how sick she is. Acute pneumonia can come on and progress in hours and often there isn’t any upper respiratory symptoms like sneezing and nasal discharge. So it isn’t always possible to realise how unwell the Rabbit is until they are very unwell :(

I hope she will respond to treatment, poor girly :(

ETA Bisolvon could help thin out the mucus and a bronchodilator eg ventolin via a mask could help open up the airways in her lungs

I hope she does too, I think William thinks the fact the infection has spread to all over her lungs the outcome won't be good. He said the amount of damage there would be :/ she's on two different antibiotics and loxicom and there's f10 in the nebuliser solution he made up.

Bisolvon you can just buy it seems? Is that something you'd add? I've got a ventolin pump, is this something I could just do or need to talk to William probs?

I'm a bit burnt out my nans been on at me all day about her washing machine just got home from fixing it, I'm sick of dealing with everyone else's issues when I've got enough of my own :/

I'm sorry Apricot is so poorly, I really hope the medication works for her. As everyone has said you've not missed anything, and she's in the best hands with you and your vets, I was shocked when I saw Ferns eye was recently very swollen since I thought having just had the baby I must have missed that she was sick again, but it was just another rabbit illness that comes on so quickly

ETA: I thought Bisolvon was a pom-v so needs a prescription to buy, unless things have changed

Yeh, you need a ‘script for Bisolvon, William might have some in stock which would be quicker to obtain though. I would def’ speak with William before using the Ventolin.

I have had Rabbits with multifocal micro-abscesses on their lungs who were able to cope and have a reasonable QOL whilst on long term abx and other meds. The prognosis is worse if their respiratory rate/effort is significantly raised though. And of course mouth breathing is very bad news.

IME Depocillin has been the most effective abx, sometimes in combination with Baytril
Nebulising a suitable abx can also be an option, alongside systemic abx.

The course of abx treatment is almost always several weeks in duration as just 10-14 days often results in a relapse.

I really hope Apricot will recover x

Thanks everyone, I got impatient so went to b&q and got a box, I was gunna drill but we don't have any spare wood and I was worried about it splitting without drilling into something so I went with burning the holes instead. I did air holes too but some people online said none are needed but Idk so I just stuck a few in near the top on each side. I hope this works I've cleaned it all up and gunna put a towel in the bottom for her :(
a811d95db86547c5c3fde48397a5587f.jpg
2e72d5bd09c6eb2b25fd86812b1a1be8.jpg

Bunny in a box :( she's being so good I hope this helps her :(
fd09bb297a2351026c05d4ebe281470d.jpg
0117de49404204b93db10cea6cf3c20a.jpg

Thanks everyone, it seemed to go okay, she just laid down in there then came out and wanted fenugreeks [emoji38] I cleaned her nose up a bit Idk if that was a good idea or not but I hated seeing her like that :(

Back