• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something is awry... Vet visited, not much changing! Stasis - maybe?

Unfortunately after bringing Bear home, he is still definitely not himself.

He is eating small amounts. He is doing small poos, but he appears to be in discomfort/pain and isn't really running around the garden/showing signs of interest. He'll sniff at food like he wants to go for it then back off and decide against it.

He had his Emeprid/Cisapride this morning and I'll give him his Metacam at midday.. if he's not showing signs of improvement a few hours after that I'll take him back to the vet.

I think it has to be some dental issue as nothing else is screaming out as a problem!

https://streamable.com/f5vldf

Little update of him eating post his Metacam/Emeprid meds this afternoon... Still not quite right but at least he is eating (he pretty much had all of what was on the tray)!

Can see he has a bit of a weepy eye... monitoring that - but he has had a few hands on his head/poked in the eye in a bit of a tussle to get meds in him. Hopefully that goes - but is an indicator of a possible issue...

Glad to see him eating well now.

The runny eye could be indicative of a Dental problem which involves elongated tooth roots.

Great news he is eating & pooping now. I hope he continues to recover well once he's off the metacam too

https://streamable.com/f5vldf

Little update of him eating post his Metacam/Emeprid meds this afternoon... Still not quite right but at least he is eating (he pretty much had all of what was on the tray)!

Can see he has a bit of a weepy eye... monitoring that - but he has had a few hands on his head/poked in the eye in a bit of a tussle to get meds in him. Hopefully that goes - but is an indicator of a possible issue...

Aww a tri coloured lop. My bridge boy Rio was one,he had more colour splodges on him.I hope your boy improves.🙂

Runny eye-as said above, possible abscess in periorbital area. X-rays would show that. Lack of aptite and pain is also present if this is the problem. With such problem pain meds are dosed every 12 hours at the maximum dosage, sometimes even two types of pain meds and if abscess is there or any nasty dental problem, that needs extraction, two types of antibiotic. If he is not back eating like a champ by monday. Call a vet ask for skull x-rays. Ask about roots, abscess. You can make a call tomorrow about dosing pain meds every 12 hours.

Glad he is eating some food on his own and producing poo. I hope he continues to improve. You want him stable should a dental be necessary. When my bunny needs a dental he sniffs and begs for food, yet only eats a little before stopping. Like your bunny he accepts syringe feeds. Once eating improves, output improves.

Thanks both.

Yes he's improved slightly but he's definitely still not right.

He's eating a good handful of vegetables in a sitting at least, but is avoiding hay and pellets. Making sure he has a decent amount of food.

Suspect he won't improve tomorrow but will give him some more Metacam tomorrow, load him up with food, and give the vet a call for an xray and dental check on Monday. I sort of hope that shows something so at least it can be treated, otherwise will be at a total loss with what is wrong with him.

Don't want him to be in pain and can tell in his face he is (he's **** at hiding his feelings...wouldn't make a good poker player)

I'm sorry that Bear is still not completely better. I hope that the x-ray and dental check will provide some answers, so that the vet can suggest a way forward.

I'm sorry too to hear that Bear is still not right. Really hope that the vet visit goes well, Sending lots of vibes for your boy x

Booked in tomorrow for what will hopefully be dentals.

Will ask them if they can do an Xray etc as suggested above.

Only reason they won't do that is if there's something else obviously wrong, I guess.

Booked in tomorrow for what will hopefully be dentals.

Will ask them if they can do an Xray etc as suggested above.

Only reason they won't do that is if there's something else obviously wrong, I guess.

I will be thinking of Bear tomorrow, good idea about the x-ray while he's there xx

Bear is back at the vets now.

Xray later today - she is hoping he will sit still enough for that (fingers crossed, he usually does once he's "captured"), see what that shows.

If nothing shows up they will do a dental tomorrow to check all of the teeth and sort out the spurs which they can see on a basic examination.

I think he's in reasonable hands. Hopefully we get some answers and the answers aren't anything too bad.

Back