• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

    Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

    You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

    We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

    Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rupert seems to have something stuck in his nose

Very pleased to see your update about Rupert. I think that his progress is about what I would have expected. The bruising of the larynx wasn't going to be healed immediately and the fact that he is starting to eat more normally is him going in the right direction I think. Hopefully, once the area is completely healed Rupert will be back to his normal self and will also slowly regain the weight that he's lost. The dental work also seems to have stopped the coughing/choking, so it all sounds good to me. I'm impressed also that your vet is making sure that he's progressing OK by the regular examinations and it's reassuring to know that his chest is sounding much better.
 
Very pleased to see your update about Rupert. I think that his progress is about what I would have expected. The bruising of the larynx wasn't going to be healed immediately and the fact that he is starting to eat more normally is him going in the right direction I think. Hopefully, once the area is completely healed Rupert will be back to his normal self and will also slowly regain the weight that he's lost. The dental work also seems to have stopped the coughing/choking, so it all sounds good to me. I'm impressed also that your vet is making sure that he's progressing OK by the regular examinations and it's reassuring to know that his chest is sounding much better.
Yes I'm always happy with my vets, they aren't bunny specialists and acknowledge that but they've always given my little crew excellent care. I was watching Rupert on bunnycam today and he was definitely more active.
 
Yes I'm always happy with my vets, they aren't bunny specialists and acknowledge that but they've always given my little crew excellent care. I was watching Rupert on bunnycam today and he was definitely more active.
This sounds like he has turned a corner and on his way to a full recovery. Sending vibes he wull continue to improve and have another good recheck.
 
Last edited:
That sounds really promising that he hasn't been coughing or choking and that his chest is sounding better. That makes sense that he's lost weight when he's been having trouble eating since he's been sore. Hopefully when he can eat more normally again he'll gain some weight again. It does sound like he's moving in the right direction, aside from the sneezing. Sending lots more healing vibes for Rupert. ❤️
 
I was away for a couple of days so my other half was in charge, ended up getting bitten while trying to administer medicine so I think he is feeling feisty lol.
 
Hopefully a final update on this, Rupert had another checkup at the vet yesterday. The vet can't hear any more noise on his chest, so they're happy that he's on the mend. With the teeth side of things, it's a waiting game to see if the problem returns as with so many dental buns. He's still not eating as much hay as I'd like but he's getting there slowly. His weight is the same so I'll continue with critical care for a while longer. Didn't get charged for either post op check which has never happened before, I won't complain!
 
Unfortunately I've had to rush Rupert back to the vet this morning, he was eating some forage and starting choking really badly. Same symptoms as before, lots of saliva out of his nose and mouth and his breathing was heavy. He started struggling to breathe through his mouth so I have rushed him in to the vet. He's currently receiving oxygen but it's not looking good, he's not stable enough for them to try anything or to go to a specialist. Even just putting him in the carrier seemed to make him worse. They're going to monitor him and call me in an hour or so to see if he is stabilised, but I said to them if he deteriorates I give permission to put him down 😔 I'm just glad I was home and was able to take him in as otherwise he may have choked to death but I'm very worried about him. He's been through so much this year already. The dental hasn't solved the issue and I don't think it will be fair to put him through invasive treatments.
 
Last edited:
Just had an update from the vet, he is a little better. They talked about taking him to a specialist but unfortunately I can't get him there as have to go into work and my partner is at work as well. I asked if they could try a conscious x-ray to see if there is anything obvious showing, not ideal but they said they would give it a try once he's had some more oxygen.

I said to the vet that even if he does go to a specialist and gets a diagnosis, is it going to make much difference as if there's something obstructing his breathing it's going to be very serious and complex to treat, and I'm not sure if it's fair to put him through that, so I asked for some time to think while they do the x-ray.
 
I think endoscopic examination of his nose and throat would be needed as an X-ray probably won’t be that helpful. But of course he’d have to be sedated for endoscopic examination.
Did the Vet say if he’s able to maintain his oxygen levels when not on oxygen?
 
I think endoscopic examination of his nose and throat would be needed as an X-ray probably won’t be that helpful. But of course he’d have to be sedated for endoscopic examination.
Did the Vet say if he’s able to maintain his oxygen levels when not on oxygen?
He's stable but still in the oxygen tent, although they did manage to get him out for an xray which didn't show anything. The problem I have in my head is that we go in a cycle of having an episode, recovering then having another one, and the episodes seem to be getting worse. He's not stable enough to be anaesthetised which means they can't look in his mouth, but am concerned that even after the dental treatment he is still choking. Going to have a think and decide what to do over the next few hours. Need to decide whether a referral to a specialist is worthwhile or if it will just tell me that he is very poorly as I don't think I want to put him through any treatment, and I am too worried to leave him home alone in case it happens again.
 
I'm so sorry Rupert has had another episode. Such a difficult time for you, lots of vibes as you process everything & make difficult choices about your boy
 
So sorry to hear that Rupert has taken another turn, sending every positive vibe, and thinking of you if a decision has to be made xx
 
I'm so sorry to hear Rupert is in such dire straits. I'll keep you and him in my thoughts and hope for a positive outcome for you all. It's so frustrating and heartbreaking when a beloved animal companion is struggling and there's no easy answer to the problem. (((((((Huge hugs)))))))) xxxxx
 
Back
Top