• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reoccurring stasis

I am sorry your bunny had another stasis episode. Is he still on meds for pain and gut motility? We generally continue meds a few days after the bunny is doing better to avoid a relapse. Sending vibes he returns to his usual self now that you are home.
You and your mom did an awesome job getting him prompt care.

I heard the Furminator can damage rabbit's delicate skin. Perhaps someone on ru has experience with it or knows if this is true.

Depending on the length and type of fur, you may consider sliding fur between your fingers in a gently pulling motion followed by petting your bunny with damp hands to catch !oose fur. I do this with my mini rex. My Lionhead bunnies do well with a comb, though sometimes wider teeth or a metal dog comb are needed. I trim long fur if needed.

Thank you!

Yes he’s still on the gut mobility medicine, I reduced the metacam as the vet said that wasn’t needed anymore.

He’s a mini lop (can’t remember if I said) but he is pretty tiny, and his hair is short and super fine. I literally pluck handfuls out, but he won’t allow me to touch near his tail, and that’s where he grooms most.

I was reading about oxbow papaya? Are they worth a go alongside grooming?
And I read the hair buster comb is good??

Thank you!

Yes he’s still on the gut mobility medicine, I reduced the metacam as the vet said that wasn’t needed anymore.

He’s a mini lop (can’t remember if I said) but he is pretty tiny, and his hair is short and super fine. I literally pluck handfuls out, but he won’t allow me to touch near his tail, and that’s where he grooms most.

I was reading about oxbow papaya? Are they worth a go alongside grooming?
And I read the hair buster comb is good??
Whether the enzyme, bromelain,papaya and pineapple contain do anything to help with breaking down fur balls within the GI tract is debatable. The stomach of the Rabbit is extremely acidic and likely to destroy any therapeutic properties bromelain contained in the fresh fruit or any dietary supplement.
The best thing to do is maximise hay and water intake, lots of exercise, daily grooming.

I would never use a Furminator on a Rabbit

I have not used a Hairbuster comb myself but I have heard good reports about them from people who have

When your Rabbit is not in moult and well what is his poo output like ? Poo photos would be useful !

Thank you so much..

I will be putting the furminator in the bin!! I only bought it as I read positive things!

He normally poops a lot and even when he starts moulting his poop doesn’t decrease then all of a sudden he will stop eating and go into stasis!!!

We are looking to getting him a companion still.. but after the last attempt we are a bit put off!!

He’s such a happy bunny normally and has free option of fresh hay, grass and dried herbs. But he isn’t a big hay eater at all! And I have spent hundreds on different types with no increase!

The other issue is he HATES going in the garden.. but this may improve if we get him a bun wife?

Regarding getting him a bunny friend, I've just reminded myself what happened last time at the rescue. I really would not be put off by that first try at bonding. If I were you, I would get in contact with the rescue again, explain what happened and ask for their advice as to how to proceed. If they give it another try with a different doe, at least they would be pre-warned about his 'exuberance' :LOL: In my experience, what happened is fairly normal with bonding. It's important for the doe to have somewhere to run to, to get away when this happens. Usually, this will happen many, many times and eventually the buck will get the message and ease off. If the doe doesn't run away, but reacts badly, then maybe it's time to try with a different doe. Rescues should be very used to this happening.

Back