• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits... and dads.

:lol: My Dad likes to pretend he is a grumpy git. He didn't like the mess, or that they chewed the furniture, but he loved them really.

He used to talk to them. Give them norty extra pellets and veg (and cereal :rolleyes:) Let them out etc. Faline and he has a good raport, she's not too keen on people stroking her but he was able too.

And he detoured to northampton on the way back from London once to get her for me.

He used to help me clean out the outside buns when they lodged with us and clean out Molly and Faline too. hehe. I'm lucky to have such a lovely Dad.

I don't know wether my dad hates them, likes them or tolerates them:shock:

He moans abou the straw and hay that gets on his shed floor when filling hay racks but he doesn't blame the buns he blmes me, lol which is right it's my mess really:p

He threatned to throw them out as my big drama thread said but then he said only the 2 house buns, then it changed to jsut getting rid of Raine (well mainly cos mum told him in polite ways to get stuffed Liqourice is hers) then he said if we keep Raine they go outside onethe warm weather comes in, make up your mind will ya:shock:

Though he constantly moans about them, he draws up new plans to build bigger, better hutches for them and builds them, and when Amber died he went out at 5am to check on the other 2 girls before he went to work and he always goes out to fix the covers if the rains not keeping out:p

I think he likes them when he's in a good mood but if he's in a bad mood he doesn't:?

dads ehh what you going to do with them:lol:

my dad always complained about the animals but everytime hes over here now the first thing he does is give Misty treats :rolleyes: lol in fact im starting to think Misty loves my dad more then me :p when Misty was neutered my dad made sure he was off work that day so he could take him to the vets and pick him up again lol

Excellent, I like this threat. I don't live with my parents and haven't done for many years but I do take my buns with me when I go to stay. My dad always says they're a pain in the neck, however, he has converted the summer house in his garden into a bunny chalet for when they visit in the summer. The buns are house buns but love their summer hols and spend the whole time watching whats going on outside - my Dad spends lots of time up the garden and when he thinks we aren't listening he talks to them and he calls Charlie, 'Charley Farley'.

When we stay in the winter, Mum and Dad move all of the furniture out of the conservatory and carpet it for the buns, and my Dad nade a cover for a heater he's got so they don't get too cold! How can he say he doesn't like them when he goes to so much trouble!

He says he doesn't like my Mum's cat but he calls her Baby (the cat, not my mum) and jumps up as soon as he sees her sat by a door wanting it opened!

As for my other half, well, I have the opposite problem to most people, for example I told him yesterday that he has to stop fussing Charlie so much as he keeps making him greasy! :lol:

... so even when other peoples' dads complain, they like the bunnies some of the time? :?

Time for som re-education for mine, then! :lol:

My Dad loves absolutely loves the rabbits. Hes the person behind most of them - even tried persuading me to bring two rabbits home from the rescue instead of one once! :rolleyes:

My dad did all the bunny care when I lived at home. He did the cleaning out, built the fantastic huge hutches and always came to the vet with me. Even though he's allergic to them. One of my buns wee'd on him once, and he wasn't that upset. :lol:

My dad is great. He adores my rabbits and has his favourites tehe! When I go away I am 100% happy to leave them in his care. When I have returned from holday he say "OOhhh Frags is the boss isn't she? " Or " Inca has been shy " or " Monty loves that grass you give them" which is lovely as it shows he doesn't just throw the food in and go. I know he secretly loves me going away so he can spend time with them without it being obvious he wants too! :lol:

When I found Monty ill with Myxi it was past 10 o'clock at night and tbh I just lost it. I was hysterical and in no state to drive. He had been helping my sister move her things into her house all day and was shattered so having an early night but when I sobbed "Can you take me to the vets please?" He was straight out of bed, rushing me to the vets, and also trying to keep me calm bless him! As soon as I said "Myxi" he was like " oh my god" as we had talked about it on the way home from the vets after their vaccinations and he remembered all the details so to me that says he cares! :D

My mum on the other hand has admitted she has " no idea who or what " is in the shed :shock::lol:

Last edited:
He used to complain that the hallway smelt like a barn, since I tend to put the food and shavings for the outdoor buns there:lol:
However last year he suggested making a shed for them:D So that all the buns could move out there. he's still not done...but at least he succeded in getting the rabbit food out of the house:lol: That is now all in the shed, just waiting for the rabbits to move inXD

Now my buns don't really take up much space neither indoors our outdoors (unless my dad wants to get into the attic, in which case he just pushes Sasuke into my bedroom, since his cage is blocking the door:lol:)
The girls are standing on a spot that was previously used as a "garbage dumb" (no we don't dumb garbage outside our door, there was just a whole lot of useless stuff lying there) and the runs...well no one really uses the lawn for anything:lol:

Five or six years ago, when I lived at home, my dad used to like my rabbit, Honey and used to go out and talk to him and stroke him but when we were little, he wasn't very nice.

Once, my mum left as she was being bullied and victimised by him and took us with her, and he threatened to let my first 2 bunnies out in the garden and let them run away :( I've never forgiven him for that.

My husband doesnt moan at all about the bunnies, all 13 of mine 5 fosters and another 2 fosters coming tomorrow :D He gets my bales from the yard for me, takes me to the vet, gets my food. If I ring him at work he will also pop in and get fresh veggies for me :D I think I have a star considering we dont have much garden left :lol:

Bit different for me as I'm 45 - My son was 10yrs old when I got the rabbits, and he was very hostile at first, and my ex thought I was mad - till they both realised that it meant I wouldn't be going partying, dating or travelling for years and years :lol: It's a good way to keep your women on the straight and narrow, and all these complaining blokes should just think - if the girls weren't stuck at home cooing over furry animals, we would be running riot in Greece ;)

Anyway - Benny bunny soon won my son over - he felt some male solidarity at last, and Benny is strokeable - son thinks the girls in the shed are scary, a bit like Bratz bunnies :lol: As for the piggies - well seeing those babies popcorning for hours did the trick - he loves them :D

Yeah, my mum's using that argument. ^-^ That at least all I want is bunnies... I'm not out drinking or taking things, like my old friends are... or having kids like my younger cousin. o_o Then again, I think both those things are more 'normal' for someone my age, to my dad... I know he considers me something of a weirdo, but what can you do? :roll:

On a funnier note, he's now making excuses not to take me to look at hutches. My mum, however, says she'll phone later and see if we can order one over the phone to be delivered tomorrow... Hehehe.

I think my dad secretly loves them! He moans about the mess in the garden and he always moans when I get a new pet.

However, he loves watching them play from the conservatory and if he goes outside, he always talks to them and strokes them. He also always worried when they go to the vets, when Inky had a sprained paw, he rang me up from work to see what the vet had said.

Well... I can safely say mine doesn't like them, secretly or otherwise. :lol: Usually he tolerates them, at times... well, he complains about them. Never to me, funnily enough. I've yet to have him really be critical of them in my hearing (that he knows of).

On the plus side. :shock: I just got back from purchasing a two level hutch... which he insisted on paying for. That, I don't think, had anything to do with the rabbits... I think it was more to do with him not disliking me, hehe. But still! I praised him lots for it... It's my late Christmas prezzie! ^^

Well... I can safely say mine doesn't like them, secretly or otherwise. :lol: Usually he tolerates them, at times... well, he complains about them. Never to me, funnily enough. I've yet to have him really be critical of them in my hearing (that he knows of).

On the plus side. :shock: I just got back from purchasing a two level hutch... which he insisted on paying for. That, I don't think, had anything to do with the rabbits... I think it was more to do with him not disliking me, hehe. But still! I praised him lots for it... It's my late Christmas prezzie! ^^

Well thats good :lol: Where did you get it? (Hoping Ive got the right person & you are in Mcr :oops:) X

I am in Manchester, yus! ^-^
There's a garden centre.. oooh, it's sort of near a Pets At Home... The garden centre is called Booths Garden and Pet Centre, on Turfs Lane, Royton. When I was adopting my Barney-bun, we were looking at the Pets At Home (my dad always refers to it at 'the one at the top of Oldham Road', I'm baaad with road names, etc.) for hutches, he remembered this place and they have lovely hutches. They're built well, are sturdy and have sliding bolt type things on doors which is good if there are foxes around.

... I'm so excited. :oops:

I am in Manchester, yus! ^-^
There's a garden centre.. oooh, it's sort of near a Pets At Home... The garden centre is called Booths Garden and Pet Centre, on Turfs Lane, Royton. When I was adopting my Barney-bun, we were looking at the Pets At Home (my dad always refers to it at 'the one at the top of Oldham Road', I'm baaad with road names, etc.) for hutches, he remembered this place and they have lovely hutches. They're built well, are sturdy and have sliding bolt type things on doors which is good if there are foxes around.

... I'm so excited. :oops:

Ooh - Is it open Sundays do you know? Might go for a 'look' :rolleyes:

I imagine so - garden centres seem to do lots of business on Sundays. :lol: I got my big rabbit run from there, too... I think it's wonderful. ^^ The roof fits on and cannot be knocked off (I have over-excitable cats who like to jump and sit on the run... this stopped me worrying they'd knock the roof off) and a sheltered part at one end... It's also quite a bit along Turf Road... we kept thinking we'd turned the wrong way 'cos we kept going and not seeing anything for a while. If you enter 'Booths Garden and Pet Centre' and 'Royton' there are contact details and a number you could phone and check?

Yeah, my mum's using that argument. ^-^ That at least all I want is bunnies... I'm not out drinking or taking things, like my old friends are... or having kids like my younger cousin. o_o Then again, I think both those things are more 'normal' for someone my age, to my dad... I know he considers me something of a weirdo, but what can you do? :roll:

On a funnier note, he's now making excuses not to take me to look at hutches. My mum, however, says she'll phone later and see if we can order one over the phone to be delivered tomorrow... Hehehe.

My Dad used to think I was a bit weird for being so into my animals and not bringing loads of boys back like my elder sisters did. Still he's happy now, because instead of working my way through a load of :censored:'s I've actually waited until I found someone nice to bring home.

Back