• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pics of the animals I met in Namibia as a volunteer at an animal sanctuary

Oh wow! I am tingling all over! :love::love::love:

This is what I dream of doing one day. :love:

You lucky thing!!!!!!! :D

Oh WOW!!! What fantastic pictures! That will be something you will never forget. :D

Will you ever go back there or was it a one off and how did it come about?

Sorry for asking so much - just really interested! ;)

Thanks so much everyone for your lovely comments, I'm glad you liked the pics. I'm back from the reunion for meeting up with the guys I met there & we've had a great time reminiscing & catching up. God how much we all long to go back there or to another volunteer project :cry:

DENISE ... :shock: i had no idea you had done that ....:shock:

wow ... what can i say .... i wish ...ohhhh i wish i had the guts to do it ..(althougfh im 5 yrs over their linit anyway in may :oops::roll: )

but what an experience ... :shock: :D

i look back on m,y life ... i will be 45 in a few weeks ...and i have done nothing ...:(...my life is sooooo booooring ... :evil:

well done .... i liked you already ... now i also have a great admiration for what you have done too :D

Bless you Angie that's so lovely :oops: My life isn't exactly full of loads of excitement but I really wanted & I suppose in a way needed to do something like this.

Now don't be so hard on yourself your life isn't boring - look what you achieve with the buns for BARC - you & Tracey are absolutely fantastic in what you achieve with them & how many you help & rehome. It takes very special kind of people to be able to successfully run rescues.

If you ever did fancy doing anything like this there are loads of rescues & convservation projects all over the world that welcome volunteers of any age with open arms :)

I've told Mark I'd love to go to Borneo next to volunteer with Orangutans - he's told me to forget it :shock: Especially now we've got more buns than before I went :roll:

Last edited:
were you not scared they just attacked you.. i think i would :oops: xx

I was at first & must admit did get quite a few bites of the baboons - they were little sods & just like a bunch of naughty kids. The big cats though were amazing to be up close too - but you never really forget that in one bite they could have done some serious damage to you! One of the lion cubs bit my thumb (they were about 4 months old) & god it hurt like mad & took 2 of the girls to get him off me. It made me realise that if they can bite like that at such a young age, imagine the damage they could really do when fully grown :shock:

Oh WOW What an amazing life changing experience, I am so jealous. I have always wanted to do something like that at an elephant sanctuary.

There is an elephant sanctuary Lynne in Sri Lanka called Pinnewela Elephant Orphanage that you can volunteer at - you could always have a think about it ;) If you want any details on that, let me know & I'll try & find them on google again for you ;);):) I think jack8 posted some pics of it on a thread once, as he's been to it as part of a holiday :)

Last edited:
Oh WOW!!! What fantastic pictures! That will be something you will never forget. :D

Will you ever go back there or was it a one off and how did it come about?

Sorry for asking so much - just really interested! ;)

I would love to be able to go back one but I don't think it will ever happen - I though the age limit was still 40, but apparently on their website they now do a 40+ programme. I'd also be wary of it not being the same next time around, because it would be with new set of people & the people I met there really did help make my time there as well as the animals. I think also if I ever got the chance to be able to do a volunteer project again, I'd want to do something different.

I'd always wanted to do something like this & never got the chance or opportunity. I was off sick for approx 10 months with really bad depression / stress which was caused by work in 2007 / 2008. Once I'd got myself back on track & started to recover, I started searching for something like this for me to do. Mark was also keen for me to do something like this, because he thought it would do me so much good - which he was right about.

This is the company I booked my trip through http://www.gapyearforgrownups.co.uk/Namibia-Noahs-Ark-Wildlife-Volunteers which links to the project I went to. They do loads of other types of projects & it's not just with animals.

But you can also book directly with the sanctuary & it works out a lot cheaper :roll: As I was travelling on my own, I decided to book through Gap Year for Grown Ups, as I felt I needed that extra support - mind you when I got there I kicked myself, because everything would have been the same but cheaper if I'd booked it direct :roll::roll:

http://www.harnas.de/en/

If you want to know anymore info, just pm or let me know on here - it's no problem. There's also loads of different Harnas groups on Facebook, where you can see loads of other people's pictures & videos.

aww they are so beautiful , I didn't see any animals like that in Zimbabwe, I would have loved to have spent some time with them but the day we had ear marked to go antilope park we went to fetch a child who had been abandoned but I would have loved to a walked with lions lol
It looks lovely, are you going again?

aww they are so beautiful , I didn't see any animals like that in Zimbabwe, I would have loved to have spent some time with them but the day we had ear marked to go antilope park we went to fetch a child who had been abandoned but I would have loved to a walked with lions lol
It looks lovely, are you going again?

Thanks so much guys.

I'd love to but to be honest I can't see me being able to go again :cry: Never mind I can dream :roll:

Back