• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly's Sore Hocks

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Molly has just been on a 10 day course of Baytril for a pussy abscess which finished 4 days ago, and she obtained another abscess on one of her toes today, and we took her to the vet who burst it. She was on 2.4ml of Baytril a day before, and it's such a high dose but it didn't stop the abscess developing now. I got so upset, because it seems like the baytril is loosing it's effect. the vet said that he didn't want to put her onto high doses for long periods of time because she'll become immune quicker. she's now on 2 week course of baytril at 0.8ml a day. He said that surgery is not an option right now, but he said that in the future, we may have to consider her quality of life when she gains immunity. If she goes on like this, getting abscess all the time, I don't think she'll last longer than a year or two. :cry: i got so upset, and i'm still upset now, cos i feel so sad that Milly may be left behind. :cry: he said it's not our fault (cos we are managing as best we can) and it's just her. He said it's really unfair for us to manage it the best we can, but it's still not helping and is in fact getting worse. :cry: Please send some vibes to Molly tonight. :cry:

I'm sorry hun :( I've no advice but wanted you to know I was thinking of you and Molly.

Did they do a c+s test to check that Baytril is effective on the bacteria that are present in her abcess? That is what I regret not getting for Sorrel...

Poor Molly :cry:

Why cant another abx be used ?

Is she having daily pain relief ?

I think they don't want to use stronger abx until they really have to. Next time, especially if it comes back quickly after this course, we'll try pencilin. she's not having pain relief, but because the abscess is burst, the pain's gone really.

"Culture and sensitivity"

They test which bacteria are present in the abcess, to tell which antibiotics will be effective to treat it. eg if the bacteria present are not sensitive to Baytril, there is now value in using it

I always feel if I had sought this test for Sorrel, her abcess would not have got the better of her.

From my personal experience with numerous cases of sore hocks Baytril is a waste of time once recurrent abscessation occurs.
My sore hock Rexes always get pain relief too.

From my personal experience with numerous cases of sore hocks Baytril is a waste of time once recurrent abscessation occurs.
My sore hock Rexes always get pain relief too.

Which abx would you recommend for sore hocks? If this happens again, I'll ask for c+s test so that we can be sure of which treatment is best for her.

Which abx would you recommend for sore hocks? If this happens again, I'll ask for c+s test so that we can be sure of which treatment is best for her.

Its not a question of just recommending an abx. The best way forward is to get the specific bacteria involved identified (from a C+S) and thus select the most appropriate abx.

Time really is of the essence when dealing with chronic Sore Hocks and so far I have never found just giving Baytril (with no additional abx/no dressings/no analgesia) successful.

I suspect my Vet would go straight in with something like Depocillin or Ceporex if a C+S could not be done (due to Bun already being on Baytril which will contaminate the results)

I wasn't aware of this Jane...do you have any further info on it?

Its just that if the Bun is already on an antibiotic it will make any culture results unreliable.
AFAIK Bun needs to be off all abx for at least 10 days for a reliable C+S result to be obtained. Obviously not an option if infection is longstanding. The culture should be taken at the initial consult when the problem first developes. Then Baytril could be given in the interim whilst waiting for the Result. Or Vet could prescribe another abx 'off licence' straight away if Vet felt pretty sure that Baytril would be ineffective. The owner would be asked to sign a disclaimer if Bun is treated with an 'off licence' abx straight away.

Its just that if the Bun is already on an antibiotic it will make any culture results unreliable.
AFAIK Bun needs to be off all abx for at least 10 days for a reliable C+S result to be obtained. Obviously not an option if infection is longstanding. The culture should be taken at the initial consult when the problem first developes. Then Baytril could be given in the interim whilst waiting for the Result. Or Vet could prescribe another abx 'off licence' straight away if Vet felt pretty sure that Baytril would be ineffective. The owner would be asked to sign a disclaimer if Bun is treated with an 'off licence' abx straight away.

Thankyou...just trying to learn as much as possible for any future problems my buns may have.

Lionheadluver (sorry, don't know your name), I hope Molly is ok.

I suspect my Vet would go straight in with something like Depocillin or Ceporex if a C+S could not be done (due to Bun already being on Baytril which will contaminate the results)

Ditto with my vet...although a combination of baytril and another antibiotic is always a possibility :wave:

IMO a C&S is especially important with hocks because of all the nasties buns can pick up on their feet. Something like Staph A. is certainly a possiblity looking at previous threads on foot abscesses.

Yep I know that the vet for Bobtails uses Depocillin for sore hocks. I also strongly advise the use of a NSAID not only for the pain relief but also for it's anti-inflammatory properties as it can really help inflammation - which when chronic will produce skin thickening and fibrous tissue, and also makes bun feel alot more comfortable. I hope Molly feels better soon :)

Pain relief is so important also because the stress of pain lowers the white cell count in buns, & therefore their ability to combat infection.

Back