• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How big is a giant?

toffeepudding said:
Unless I see one at the RSPCA which I fall in love with and has a good temperment I don't think they are for me. I'm prepared to pay vet bills but just for vacs neutering and emergencys (checkups aswell) but not constantly or I would go broke. I think I will stick to the smaller sizes until I have more experience in grooming and caring.

good idea!

I agree w/ the fact that giant doesn't live as long as the smaller rabbit or the med. size rabbit. But the breeder that I got my first 2 flemish giant from, although they didn't do the genes diverse thing, the lifespan is still sits at average of 6 and to a max. of 8, and they have over 100+ flemish giant.

And in the past 7+ yr., none of my flemish giant are clumsy.

One thing that noone mention in this thread--Flemish Giant can be smaller than average size. My 2nd rabbit was smaller as a female, to the pt. that there is no dewlap. I believe she is only 15 lb.

My 3rd Flemish Giant is around 16 lb. A lighter size compares to average flemish giant.

But truthfully, w/ my 3rd Flemish giant who died of liver cancer in 4.7 yr. of age, there is hardly any vet bill at all during the first 4 yr. except the fiber problem (he won't eat hay). And even w/ the fiber problem, I just use metoclapmide once or twice a year, and hardly see the vet much even on the fiber problem. The final sickness does cost me $600 to $800 or so, but he was very healthy during the first 4 yr.

Back