• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dealing with that rabbit 'smell'.

I would lay lino if I could (would make cleaning much easier) but unfortunatley it's not an option for the time being.

How big is the room Sooz? I'm also thinking that possibly the fleece is causing the smell and they may be peeing on it inadvertently. Our old dog is on some vet bed in her crate and we have to change and wash it every other day to avoid a smell as she is 19 now and starting to pee on it overnight.

WARNING
To anyone trying to get rid of smells with carpet freshners..please don't use them where the bunnies run..they are really bad for pets and cause a lot of skin probs in dogs ..so think what they could do to a small bun?
Likewise sprays and plug ins..really not a good idea to use around small pets..can aggrevate/bring on breathing probs

Sooz I would suggest megazorb instead of the wooden pellets too:D

It's possibly the carpets absorbing the smell. My bun room has got 6 buns living in there and is only cleaned out twice a week (3 times max), but it doesn't smell (as far as I know!) because I've got lino down on the floor which is easily wiped clean

Rest assured, your bun room doesn't smell :)

I dont think you can ever eliminate bun smells no matter what you do they always seem to just have that whiff :lol:

WARNING
To anyone trying to get rid of smells with carpet freshners..please don't use them where the bunnies run..they are really bad for pets and cause a lot of skin probs in dogs ..so think what they could do to a small bun?
Likewise sprays and plug ins..really not a good idea to use around small pets..can aggrevate/bring on breathing probs

So can you shake & vac & put the freshness back?:lol:

Bicarb and steam cleaning is your best bet if you cant keep the window open.

Unfortunately those of us who have pets are used to (or biased) to the smells so we dont notice them unless they are unually bad.

For example, I have 3 rabbits. Stitch is downstairs in a dog crate although out most of the day he sleeps on his blanket which is on newspaper (he no longer wees on this). He has two litter trays which are cleaned out every other day and I use newspaper lining, megazorb and hay.

The other two have a room of their own, the floor is laminate and they also have 2 litter trays, treated as above. I wipe their floor down each time I clean the trays out and leave their window open a crack most days.

Two or three days a week in this weather I open all the windows in the house for a few hours to air everything, and if we have guests coming before that.

When our guests come over they all notice the bunny smell :oops: My friends are quite honest but understand that if you have pets you will get a smell.

Could you not take your dress to a family members? If not I would leave a few pots of bicarb around it to hopefully take away the smell and a week before your wedding get someone who doesnt have pets to sniff it. If it smells either take it to dry cleaners of air it somewhere :?

Good luck with the wedding though :D

I have rabbits in other rooms in the house and don't have this problem so it's something to do with either that room or the rabbits in it.

In answer to Lynne's question: I use a combination of vetbed, towels and fleece style blankets in the cage. They also have a small fabric bed which they wee on a lot...so they actually have three and I change them every other day.

My dress cannot go anywhere....as I need it at my ready disposal for dress fittings. :)

I think, once the underfloor plumming has been sorted I will borrow a steam cleaner for the carpet and then start using bi-carb to see how it goes....if that dosn't work I'll try some of the other suggestions. :)

My dress cannot go anywhere....as I need it at my ready disposal for dress fittings. :)

I think, once the underfloor plumming has been sorted I will borrow a steam cleaner for the carpet and then start using bi-carb to see how it goes....if that dosn't work I'll try some of the other suggestions. :)

Can the dress fitter not keep hold of it for a small fee?

*Oh and I've heard mixed reviews about tap a drop. I never tried it as a few people said the smell was rank (they tried all 3).

WARNING

I agree.

I have never used frebreeze anywhere in the house as I have heard of cases where it has killed rabbits. So for the same reason I wont use anything artifical on carpets or any air freshners.
I just open the window daily even if only for an hour and wash all towels and vetbed daily and change litter trays at least daily :)

Another old fashioned answer is charcoal - you can buy charcoal mats (although I forget where from - helpful eh? :roll::lol:), or I guess just put some charcoal in a bowl up high. Charcoal is a great absorber of poisons, toxins etc.

I bought one of those expensive air purifier things (the sort that works by incinerating all the odour particles etc), and it really wasn't that great for animal odours (mice etc).

Back