• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Basil's Tongues sticking out.?

christina83

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, I just need some help with something please.
Basil had dental surgery last week on his molars, and hes only eating soft food still, mostly moist pellets.
I took a look in his mouth earlier by pulling his lips back, as you do to check the front teeth and i noticed hes resting his tongue at the front of his mouth. Is this normal? When I take a look what i see is his front top teeth and then below that his tongue.
We dont want to have to take him back to the vet if its not necessary as he sulks and its 17 miles there.
If anyone can help me id really appreciate it.
Oh and hes still on marbocyl antibiotics as he had abit of an infection on his back tooth.
Thanks
Christina x

if he's still only eating soft stuff now I would take him to the vets to ensure he's ok as he is probably in pain. The vet will need to check the source, treat it and give you metacam to help with the pain. it may be that the antibiotics are not working on the infection and he needs something different.

I agree, best to call your vet and have a chat and make an appt if it is necessary.

He could be sore for a couple of days after the procedure. Did you have it done earlier in the week, if so definately take back to the vet.

Thanks for the replies :) Ok, we'll take him back monday. :)
He acts fine in himself, hes running about happily and things.
The thing that makes me also think hes ok though is that we give him some treats from the pet shop papaya and pineapple chunks and he soon eats them, and the pineapple ones are quite hard.

I just wanted to add that last night we gave him some porridge oats in warm water, and his eyes glowed with love and happiness. Ive tried giving him parleys, carrot tops and everything like that and he still wont eat them.
Its so sad taking him to the vets, he looks sad and scared :( and Im scared they'll want to put him under anesthetic again. Me and mum waited in town the whole day for him when he went last as we were so scared. We sat in a cafe crying, i bet we looked crazy hehe. But we just love him so much.

Hi, im in west wales. We take basil to the teifi vets in cardigan, its abit of a trek but I read that they were good with bunnies. The other 2 vets near me are no good at all. One of the vets said we'd have to put him under anesthetic and she told us she didnt like doing it, and made us very scared about the whole thing.
His tongue doesnt stick out far or anything, but he acts like maybe its still sore or something. Hes very spoilt and likes his own way hehe.
Thanks for the tip about Deeside :)

Oh I just need to add, he just came upstairs into my room, and I gave him some papaya and pineapple chunks as a treat, and he soon gobbled them down. Hes got a very naughty sweet tooth. when he does eat them he has a little drink afterwards though.

Last edited:
He sounds lovely.

It may be worth you ringing round some vets to see if any of them do conscious dentals for future reference (I know there is a lot of for and against them on here and there are lots of debates).

In my picture you can see Homer (my dental bun) and Katy after the pineapple and papaya pieces - they love them too.:love:

Oh yeah I can see the tub,hehe. :love: Your Bunnies look lovely.

Theres not many vets where I live, they all specialize in Cows and sheep.

Everything bad has happened to basil lately, he lost the love of his life Nibbles about 6weeks ago, she had uterine cancer, and I think he probably heard her dying :( then we had to get him a new friend as we didnt want him to break his heart pining, and we got a bunny who was aggressive towards him, so we took it straight back (never taken a bunny back before, it was hard, but we had to do it for him). So we then got a silly looking bunny, an angora one called daisy and they get on really well.
So hes had it rough lately, poor thing. Hes very spoilt though and loved.

Ah, bless him. This is the last thing he needs.

Would you believe that Katy (the black one) was very aggressive towards Homer when we brought her home from the RSPCA, it took me 4 months to get them together but they are great now. We got Katy because we lost Homer's original partner to uterine cancer and Homey was pining. I would always have a rabbit neutered now - wish I had known then.

aww, uterine cancer is horrible :(
We have to get daisy done in a couple of months, and its going to be horrible waiting for her to have it done.
The bunny we got from the petshop turned out to be a male, they thought it was female and it wasnt, so thats why we took him back :(

What I cant understand is how basil can eat the papaya and pineapple chunks, but not his food. Hes never been that keen on rabbit food though, and hes always hated hay, which probably got him in his little mess.

Nah, hes never liked it. We've tried loads of different types.
We still keep alot of it in his indoor hutch in the spare room incase he ever changes his mind though.

Back