• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Absolutely gutted/ Maisey rushed to vets/ We've lost her

Liz this has been a tear jerking story from the start.
She has just found a loving home and this happens.
She has probably had more love and fun in the last few weeks than in her previous years.
Give her a kiss for me.
Keep up the great work.:love:

Oh Liz I'm so sorry.
She's had a wonderfull time out in the sun and being loved :love:
This might sound really silly....but is there any chance it could be something else?

Awww Liz i really feel for you and Maziey:(. I really do hope she can pull through it. Have you started the treatment yet hun?
Our lady had the same thing so i know what your going through. If there's anything i can do please let me know.
Sending massive love, hugs and vibes for her to keep fighting on.:love:

I have rung the vets about Maisey and Mrs Brown as soon as they opened and I should be able to speak to a vet at lunchtime if there are no emergencies.

Maiseys abscesses are the same size this morning and she is very bright, but her chin is soaked through with saliva and the skin is getting very sore.

Maisey is improving so much in other respects. Last night she came over for her metacam and took it from the syringe quite willingly for the first time. She was also trying to eat hay this morning, which I have never seen her do before. Unfortunately I did have to remove it as she was really struggling with it and couldn't have eaten it.

I am hoping the vet might suggest antibiotics to give her a little longer but I will not agree to do anything directly to the abscesses. However I am wondering if this is fair on her as we will just be treating her until she is in pain and can't eat again. I really don't want that to happen to her, so we are wondering if we should let her go out on a high, where her final memories are one of security and comfort, something she has never had before :? It will kill us to let her go today, but Maisey must always come first.

I have rung the vets about Maisey and Mrs Brown as soon as they opened and I should be able to speak to a vet at lunchtime if there are no emergencies.

Maiseys abscesses are the same size this morning and she is very bright, but her chin is soaked through with saliva and the skin is getting very sore.

Maisey is improving so much in other respects. Last night she came over for her metacam and took it from the syringe quite willingly for the first time. She was also trying to eat hay this morning, which I have never seen her do before. Unfortunately I did have to remove it as she was really struggling with it and couldn't have eaten it.

I am hoping the vet might suggest antibiotics to give her a little longer but I will not agree to do anything directly to the abscesses. However I am wondering if this is fair on her as we will just be treating her until she is in pain and can't eat again. I really don't want that to happen to her, so we are wondering if we should let her go out on a high, where her final memories are one of security and comfort, something she has never had before :? It will kill us to let her go today, but Maisey must always come first.

Oh hon. At least she is still bright though. What would the treatment usually be for these type of abcesses?

Oh hon. At least she is still bright though. What would the treatment usually be for these type of abcesses?

Probably an operation to drain them and remove as much as possible, followed by weeks of squeezing and cleaning, along with antibiotics. If they do go away then they would probably return as soon as treatment stops as we can't do anything about the cause :(

I think in a situation like this with an old rabbit in generally poor health, my vet would lance the abscess and draw out as much purulent material as possible, then treat with a highish dose of pencillin....after that it's just a matter of waiting to see how quickly the infection progresses.

You'll probably want to get her teeth looked at too.

I think in a situation like this with an old rabbit in generally poor health, my vet would lance the abscess and draw out as much purulent material as possible, then treat with a highish dose of pencillin....after that it's just a matter of waiting to see how quickly the infection progresses.

You'll probably want to get her teeth looked at too.

She had a dental 2 weeks ago and most of them fell out :( She has no front teeth except for her peg teeth which grow outwards at 90 degrees. The jaw line before the abscesses was awful.

I am not sure she would cope with lancing she goes blue just from syringe feeding and is already on antibiotics for her breathing :? She also panics really badly when held :(

ETA I also think she is in kidney failure but we have been unable to get a bllod sample on several occassions due to her tiny blood vessels and breathing

I am not sure she would cope with lancing she goes blue just from syringe feeding and is already on antibiotics for her breathing :? She also panics really badly when held :(

Perhaps the vet could give her a bit of gas, and have a look that way...or is she not well enough given the breathing problem?

Re. antibiotics...what is she currently on? It will need to be one with good bone penetration for a jaw abscess...preferably something like penicillin or ceporex.

Remember that in a rabbit of Maisey's age, you only need to manage the abscesses, not cure them....and IME external jaw abscesses (as opposed to those actually IN the mouth) are often reasonably easy to manage with minimal hands-on treatment.

Perhaps the vet could give her a bit of gas, and have a look that way...or is she not well enough given the breathing problem?

Re. antibiotics...what is she currently on? It will need to be one with good bone penetration for a jaw abscess...preferably something like penicillin or ceporex.

Remember that in a rabbit of Maisey's age, you only need to manage the abscesses, not cure them....and IME external jaw abscesses (as opposed to those actually IN the mouth) are often reasonably easy to manage with minimal hands-on treatment.

Gas would kill her. The vets have told me that every time I just handle her it could be her last breath :(

I have no expectation of trying to cure the abscesses, I am just hoping to buy her a bit of time, but I also don't want the end of her life to be full of stress and pain. She has had 9 years of hell, and only 3 weeks being cared for properly and I don't want to spoil that for her.

Steve is now rushing to the vets with Maisey as an emergency. She is completely blue and slightly mouth breathing. Her face and chest are soaking :(

She still put up a fight getting her in the carry box but we aren't hopeful :(:(

Steve is now rushing to the vets with Maisey as an emergency. She is completely blue and slightly mouth breathing. Her face and chest are soaking :(

She still put up a fight getting her in the carry box but we aren't hopeful :(:(

So sorry to hear this - good luck with Maisey at the vets - thinking of you chuck.

Tammy x

very sad:cry:
but if her abcess's were bad and she was so stressed being treated perhaps it was for the best..she is at peace now
Hugs to you and Steve xx

Back