• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Milo is in GI Stasis UPDATE: EATING AND DRINKING

I just went out to give him more fluids and to warm up his heat pack. I picked him up to make him have a little hop and saw him do a poo! Its a minuscule detail bur I'm hoping its a good sign. He's had a little fluid and in twp hours I'm up again to give him some more critical care x

No it's not minuscule, it's important :thumb:

This could be the start of something very good x I hope so x

At 1am Milo came down from his perch where he had sat since getting back from the vet, he hopped around which I was so happy to see as it can only help move his gut along.

Then he surprised me by jumping in the litter tray and eating a few strands of hay! I took the opportunity and stuck a few small pellets under his nose and he ate a few of those too. There has also been some poos there, they are darker, softer and misshapen, but at least they are THERE. I'm so relieved.

Not out of the woods yet, but a step in the right direction. He has had another small syringe of critical care with some pureed apple in ti make it yummy, which he actually seemed to be enjoying, but still not happy to eat it on his own. He is now curled up with Finn on the dolls bed.

I'm going to bed for a few hours now. I'm exhausted. I'm getting up at 6 for the next dose of meds and more fluids and things.

Fingers crossed xx

I posted to your support thread and was wondering if there'd been any 'calling cards' left in the litter tray...so glad to see at least a bit is there! :thumb:
Hope you can get some sleep and that Milo is back to eating and pooping by the time you get back up. :) xxxx

I hope that Milo has continued to show signs of improvement ?

He does Jane. Slowly.

This morning I have given him his next dose of meds (6am) and he has eaten a little pellet along with Finn, I do think having Finn beside him eating is helping to encourage him to do it as well.

He is hopping in and out of the tray now and then for a nibble on the hay, he even ate a fibafirst stick too! Its nothing like his usual appetite but its getting there. He seems to go from having a rest on the dolls bed to having a roam and small nibble then back to resting.

My only concern is I have not yet seen him drink. I have tried regular water, peppermint tea and a little drop of juice in his water but nothing seems to be encouraging him. I'm keeping my eyes peeled though. He is very determined to not let ne syringe him water...:roll: Obviously that doesn't stop me from trying.

Last edited:
He does Jane. Slowly.

This morning I have given him his next dose of meds (6am) and he has eaten a little pellet along with Finn, I do think having Finn beside him eating is helping to encourage him to do it as well.

He is hopping in and out of the tray now and then for a nibble on the hay, he even ate a fibafirst stick too! Its nothing like his usual appetite but its getting there. He seems to go from having a rest on the dolls bed to having a roam and small nibble then back to resting.

My only concern is I have not yet seen him drink. I have tried regular water, peppermint tea and a little drop of juice in his water but nothing seems to be encouraging him. I'm keeping my eyes peeled though. He is very determined to not let ne syringe him water...:roll: Obviously that doesn't stop me from trying.

Is he used to Veg/grass ? That would get some hydration into him

Sending lots more vibes xx

Thank you to all who have offered me support here. I was really stressed yesterday and wasn't sure I could deal with it. I'm obviously so glad that I did as Milo is showing improvements.

We aren't quite there yet but its a huge improvement from yesterday afternoon. My first "fight" with stasis has certainly shown me how awful it can be. X

Is he used to Veg/grass ? That would get some hydration into him

Sending lots more vibes xx

He is but he's being very fussy with veg. I've offered parsley, basil and kale again this morning and he had the tiniest nibble and then turned his nose away. X

Go Milo! I find that if I annoy them with prodding the herbs under their nose they are more likely to eat it. I also bought the live plants, not the herb packs as it keeps them fresher for longer and Smokie liked the stems first before the leaves.

Glad to see Milo has started to eat a little - it really is such a stress.

Hopefully today will be a much better day for you all. Xx

He is but he's being very fussy with veg. I've offered parsley, basil and kale again this morning and he had the tiniest nibble and then turned his nose away. X

Well done Milo and Sarah!
Waffles also didn't like herbs as I think they're a bit fragrant when you're not well
But fresh grass or dandelions or plantain might be more palatable ?

Well done Milo and Sarah!
Waffles also didn't like herbs as I think they're a bit fragrant when you're not well
But fresh grass or dandelions or plantain might be more palatable ?

We do have some dried dandelion herbage and I've been sprinkling that on hay to get him going. X

After a stasis episode, I always find that mine go back to hay first and then wild plants out of the garden, dandelions, plantain etc. Raspberry leaves are particularly good for tempting them to eat, I grow raspberry plants in pots just for that reason. Of course, during winter wild food is scarce so it's more difficult.

I also wash the weeds/herbs and give it to them wet, so that it gets a bit more water into them.

I hope Milo has rewarded you with lots more poos by now ??

There's quite a few at the moment yes, last night at about 3am they were soft and different shapes. Today they are formed golden coloured balls but are a little smaller than usual. I'm assuming that thus is a good sign and with more eating they will get bigger.

He is still eating now and then, favouring the hay and fibafirsts. I'm feeling more relieved. He has had another set of meds at 2pm which were his gut stimulant and gut protector, I'm giving him another dose of metacam at 6pm. He is due another dose of gut stimulant and gut protector at 10pm.

Does anyone know when I should stop giving him the gut stimulant and gut protector? Should I be stopping now as he's began to eat or do I need to use up all I have?

Jo Hinde suggested I give him more metacam at 6pm. She said that pain relief only lasts 12 hours in rabbits (which I already knew) and the vets initially told me to only give the metacam once a day in the morning, he had it at 6am but he's having a smaller dose at 6pm.

Any help appreciated x

Personally I would err on the side of caution with doubling up the metacam given that he is not eating as much as normal and he is not drinking much. Obviously if he appears to be in pain still then the higher dose in the safe dose range may be needed. But I would really want to confirm this with the prescribing Vet, no disrespect meant to JH

I would keep on with both the GI tract meds for at least 24 hours AFTER his input and output appears almost back to normal. If you do opt to double up the Metacam then the 'gut protector' is an absolute essential to keep on with.

It sounds as though he is on the road to recovery now xx

Back