• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my bun Fudgie is not eating enough timothy hay and is losing wt. thru out the years

He's 1.8KG, he was 2.5KG and 2.5KG is a bit on the fat side

Since he recover, there are some small amt. of cecotroph left un-eat on the floor every few days. But only small amt. per day, never see it more than once per day. And so far, I haven't give him any barley rings.

I'm not a fan of alfalfa hay due to kidney stone fear

I'll check out Readigrass, but I don't want the other bun to eat it, as the other bun is fat enough as it is, that's why I want to give a few barley ring when the other bun is not on the same floor

update: bought the organic oat, he only eat it by accident, when I mix a little bit of flax seed w/ it. When I mix the steel roll oat w/ pellet, he skip them. Any trick to make him eat some oat?

If he doesn’t like Oat Hay he simply won’t eat it. IME it’s impossible to force a Rabbit to eat a type of hay they just don’t like.

no, it's not oat hay. It's rolled oat. I soak it w/ water, he won't eat it. I leave it w/o water, he won't eat it. But he did lick a few off my hand when I mix it w/ flax seed

no, it's not oat hay. It's rolled oat. I soak it w/ water, he won't eat it. I leave it w/o water, he won't eat it. But he did lick a few off my hand when I mix it w/ flax seed

Same applies. If he doesn’t like it he doesn’t like it. Trying to fatten a Rabbit up with oats isn’t ideal. The high carbohydrate content can lead to gut dysbiosis causing uneaten cecotrophs and in some cases GI tract motility problems and bloat. I would concentrate on feeding a bit of alfalfa hay with the other hays he has, grazing on fresh grass and maybe a small portion of a pellet feed that is formulated for breeding/growing Rabbits. From the photos your Rabbit doesn’t look to be severely underweight. Being on the lean side is far better for overall health than it is for a Rabbit to be overweight.

ezPwfhD.png

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/diet-weightgain.asp

Back