• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amber needs vibes update 8/1/23 post 26

Hope the improvement continues.Personally I would still get your Vet to check her over in case the Metacam is just masking the problem rather than resolving it if the problem is urinary tract related again.

Hope the improvement continues.Personally I would still get your Vet to check her over in case the Metacam is just masking the problem rather than resolving it if the problem is urinary tract related again.
Thank you for your thoughts.
I called this morning and vet will examine her tomorrow afternoon when I pick up Raven from his dental. If she remains comfortable tonight, I may stop Metacam so vet can see her reactions better.

I'm pleased to read a more positive update BM. I feel the concern you have, having sort of gone through something similar a few weeks ago. We give our hearts and soul into our little furry companions and I'm sure in their own quiet way they feel the concerns we all have when they are not themselves. Amber is lucky to have you as her bun mum. Topping up the vibes for her. Xx
Amber and Zorro are so good together that I am not the only one who loves her. He was licking her face and sitting very close to her on Saturday and it reminded me of Bertie kissing Flo upon her return.
It was stressful until I saw improvement. When the vet is not available, I struggle with seemingly simple decisions like administering pain meds and fluids so it is nice to have RU for encouragement.

Amber was at the vet this afternoon and she has gas in her lower GI, so I am to add metoclopramide and I will follow up with vet if she does not improve.

Raven's dental was today. He is home and eating greens. Details on a new thread for him.

Last edited:
Amber was at the vet this afternoon and she has gas in her lower GI, so I am to add metoclopramide and I will follow up with vet if she does not improve.

Raven's dental was today. He is home and eating greens. Details on a new thread for him.

I expect the gas is due to slow gut motility. Does your Vet provide any other prokinetics apart from Metoclopramide ? That only works on the upper GI tract. Over here Rabbit Savvy Vets usually prescribe another drug that works on the lower GI tract eg Cisapride or Ranitidine. Both drugs were withdrawn for human use but are now re-available for Veterinary use.

I hope Amber will be fully recovered soon x

Jane, I appreciate your suggestion.
I had Cisapride compounded for Raven many months ago and I sometimes used both drugs together.
I will ask vet for dosage, and fresh script for compounder, if Amber does not improve on metaclop alone.

P.S. I like the photos in your signature.
In the last one I see so much of your mom in you.

Last edited:
Jane, I appreciate your suggestion.
I had Cisapride compounded for Raven many months ago and I sometimes used both drugs together.
I will ask vet for dosage, and fresh script for compounder, if Amber does not improve on metaclop alone.

P.S. I like the photos in your signature.
In the last one I see so much of your mom in you.

Thank you :love:

I find cisapride to be a far better prokinetic than metoclop’ They can be used together though :)

Aw, I'm sorry Amber has gas. That must feel very uncomfortable and painful... I hope the added medication will help her, and that she'll soon feel better. Sending lore more vibes for her.

Jane, Reader, Omi,
Amber thanks you.
Today I asked vet to call script to compounding pharmacy because my cisapride expired many months ago.Pharmacy should call for payment and my choice of flavors,. Last batch was strawberry.

Also, I use injectable metaclop. It is more effective than oral IME. Not sure why.

We think alike! I get several small 2ml/10mg bottles so I always have a couple factory sealed ones in my emergency supplies.

Yes, but I never administer it without confirmation from Veterinary examination/ blood glucose testing etc that there is no GI tract obstruction. There is a high risk of causing fatal harm if it’s given to an obstructed Rabbit, especially if given by injection x

Yes, but I never administer it without confirmation from Veterinary examination/ blood glucose testing etc that there is no GI tract obstruction. There is a high risk of causing fatal harm if it’s given to an obstructed Rabbit, especially if given by injection x

That is good advice.

Back