• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amber needs vibes update 8/1/23 post 26

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Amber is eating less than usual, and even let Zorro eat most of their morning and dinner pellet ration.
I gave her some greens this afternoon and had to hold Zorro so she had time to eat them.
I saw a small spot of liquid poo on their floor, and presume it is from Amber.
I cleaned their area and have one bunny on each side of the bars which Zorro tried to get around. This is so I can get a better look at Amber's poo and pee, plus will give her time to eat a few more greens without Zorro. He is busy sitting in a second litter box eating some fresh hay.
He was licking her face, so I will have them back together within an hour or so.
My vet will not be in until Monday and ooh/weekend coverage is for rabbits.
I have fluids and Metacam if it comes to that.
Please send vibes for Amber.
Edit- they got themselves back together in less than 30 minutes. She got to eat her greens and made a few half sized poo which were a bit firmer than usual. I did not see her make any pee during that time, so I tried to separate them again, yet they were both trying to get together so I did not want to cause stress.

P.S. Raven has a regular dental on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking that she has a history of UTIs.? Just wondering if this could be the issue now as you mentioned that she hasn’t passed wee recently. Not sure how familiar you are with what a normal bladder v an abnormal bladder feels like when very gently palpating the abdomen. Is she wet underneath at all ? If she does have cystitis/ a UTI then metacam and some fluids should help til you can get her to a Vet. I’d try to get a wee sample to take to the vet too. Only if she passes it herself though, unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing I would not attempt to manually express her bladder yourself.

Am I right in thinking that she has a history of UTIs.? Just wondering if this could be the issue now as you mentioned that she hasn’t passed wee recently. Not sure how familiar you are with what a normal bladder v an abnormal bladder feels like when very gently palpating the abdomen. Is she wet underneath at all ? If she does have cystitis/ a UTI then metacam and some fluids should help til you can get her to a Vet. I’d try to get a wee sample to take to the vet too. Only if she passes it herself though, unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing I would not attempt to manually express her bladder yourself.

You are so kind to remember her prior UTI's. I do not know if she is passing wee because she and Zorro were not separated long enough for her to produce any urine, yet she was not wet on her bottom so no dribbling of urine.
I do not know how to palpitate her bladder, so will not attempt expressing it.
I gave her Metacam shortly after my last post, yet hesitated on fluids until I figured out if I could give them downstairs. I gave Amber and Zorro a few pellets and she ate a few.
I managed to get her upstairs to give her fluids a few minutes ago. She is so fuzzy I missed the skin on my first attempt, yet she was a very good girl.
It is 4:30am, so will get some sleep and check her in a few hours.

Last edited:
Oh, poor Amber. I hope the Metacam will help her feel more comfortable. I'm sorry you can't get her to a vet until Monday. Sending her lots of vibes, and sending lots of vibes for Raven's dental on Tuesday as well.

You are so kind to remember her prior UTI's. I do not know if she is passing wee because she and Zorro were not separated long enough for her to produce any urine, yet she was not wet on her bottom so no dribbling of urine.
I do not know how to palpitate her bladder, so will not attempt expressing it.
I gave her Metacam shortly after my last post, yet hesitated on fluids until I figured out if I could give them downstairs. I gave Amber and Zorro a few pellets and she ate a few.
I managed to get her upstairs to give her fluids a few minutes ago. She is so fuzzy I missed the skin on my first attempt, yet she was a very good girl.
It is 4:30am, so will get some sleep and check her in a few hours.

I really hope that she will be feeling better when you check on her later x

Topping up the vibes for Amber. Hoping she is feeling better and that you have been able to get some rest. Xx

Thank you friends.
This morning she was nibbling hay and She ran for a few pellets, yet I also saw another tiny puddle of liquid poo equal to two or three fecal poos. Still not herself, yet stable.

Update:
She did much better late afternoon and evening. She is eating better and was happy to sit on my lap. She got Metacam, yet did not need fluids. I will check her in the morning and hope she is back to normal.

Last edited:
I'm pleased to read a more positive update BM. I feel the concern you have, having sort of gone through something similar a few weeks ago. We give our hearts and soul into our little furry companions and I'm sure in their own quiet way they feel the concerns we all have when they are not themselves. Amber is lucky to have you as her bun mum. Topping up the vibes for her. Xx

I'm really glad Amber is feeling better and eating more. I'm sending her lots more vibes, and I hope that when you check on her in the morning she'll be back to her usual self.

Glad to see a more positive update. Hope the improvement continues and she's soon back to normal.

Back