• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Beatrix please - update 25/4 :)

How is Beatrix today?
I'm suspecting that she's got a bit dehydrated with the sudden hot weather (dark orange wee) & the thicker gut contents are more difficult to push through & can build up small pockets of gas behind them.

I think she probaly needs some subcut fluids & pain relief by now. The fiber plex will help to stimulate her gut naturally. Encouraging movement - running round, digging etc helps alot.
Thumper hates to be turned over so I stroke him firmly low down his side & slightly under his belly. This often seems to get things started up again. ;)

Everything crossed for Beatrix.

Late last night I gave Beatrix some more Metacam and syringe fed 10ml of water. This morning she had a tiny nibble of cabbage. I have given her more fibreplex. How long does Metacam last? I'm just wondering when to give more?

She doesn't appear to be in pain right now and I want to keep it that way. How much water shall I syringe feed 10ml now or go for 20ml right now? Last night I got her to drink back most of the 10ml although a lot ended up on her dewlap fur but she kept licking this off while grooming herself so it still got in.

Oh I meant to add, when I gave her the fibreplex I noticed she did have some soft caecs on her botty. Not a huge amount, about a 50p size so she must have eaten something while I was asleep.

Last edited:
That's great news. :)
Metcam can be given every 12 hours.
Dog metacam is 1.5mg/ml. a medium dose for a bun would be 0.2ml/kgm.

Very personally, I tend to give syringed fluids in small volumes eg 10 -20 ml frequently, (even hourly) to get the volume in, because Thumper will take these small amounts without stress.

It's just great she's eating hay, the fiber is an excellent gut stimulant. She'll need the fluids cos it's dry. I'd concentrate on that rather than the veg just now, in fact I'd avoid cabbage at the mo. with the moist caecals.

If there's any hawthorn near you the leaves have fluids, low but adequate nutrients, & fiber all in one. ;) Fresh herbs are also a good starter but I reckon the shops are all closed.

Keep up the good work. :thumb:

She has just had another lot of Fibreplex and she had more caecs on her botty. She has been drinking on her own and eating veg and hay again but not as much as she usually does. I'm still giving her fibreplex just for today to make sure gets enough fibre. As she is drinking at the moment I don't want to distress her. BUT as you've told me this is the most important to do, I'm going to monitor how often she drinks in the next hour and if its not enough then I'll syrnige feeding it again at 10ml an hour (20 if I can get her to take it without distress). Thanks so much for the advice. xxxxxx

Thumps, is hawthorn known as anything else? I'm looking on Galens and google to try and find some. Unfortunately I live in the city. I do have some herbs here but prob not the best ones to use - plantain, dandelion - which from memory I think you told me where diuretics so no good.

Yes they're the right leaves. I was thinking of the fresh leaves for the fluid content.
I think it's worth getting some in & seeing if she'll "go for them". When it comes to wild plants bunnies "go" for what they need to stay healthy irrespective of taste. I would say that hawthorn is the preferred maintanence leaf fiber for most buns prone to stasis.
Donnamt's Alvin & Blackberry & Co's buns come to mind the most.

Thanks, I've ordered some so hopefully will arrive sometime this week. I have kept giving Beatrix fibreplex and water. She didn't seem in pain but I gave her some metacam tonight just in case. She seems okay within herself but just isn't eating as much as usual still. She is producing caecs so thats good.

I'm going to see how she goes tomorrow, if still like this then I'm going to try and get an appointment with my vet this week. I really don't want to put Beatrix through the stress of a vet trip unless its with someone I know is more rabbit savvy. I will ask about the possibility thats its uti.

Please keep sending my baby girl vibes. xxx

GREAT NEWS! Thank you so much for your vibes and advice. Late last night Beatrix seemed so much better in what I can only describe as she got her personality back. Today she has been back to normal and eating like a farmer's nightmare :lol::love:

GREAT NEWS! Thank you so much for your vibes and advice. Late last night Beatrix seemed so much better in what I can only describe as she got her personality back. Today she has been back to normal and eating like a farmer's nightmare :lol::love:

Great News :D

Back