• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Barney and Molly please U/D 4 May. Molly is back :)

Has he had any blood tests ?

Also, does he lick Molly's ears after you have put the Canaural in ?

Hi Jane, no blood tests yet but I am leaving them both at the vets in the morning so they check him out properly. What should they test for?
Yes he does give Molly's ears a good washing bless him, but he was still showing all his symptoms when she wasn't having drops :? I am thinking for tomorrow, xrays/ultrasound, blood tests... What else would you think?

Hi Ripminnie,
It would definitely be worth getting some blood tests done.
I have looked after 2 bunnies with on going gut problems.
I had meds at home if there was any sign of trouble but obviously you need to try to find out what the underlying issue is.
As for diet, I avoided any hard stuff apart from protexin pro-fibre pellets and a miniscule amount of SS.
Water with Probiotic.
Apart from that just hay and herbs - plantain, meadow mix, strawberry leaves and blackcurrant leaves, dill and parsley and no vegetables or hard treats.

Regards,
Nicki:)

Hi :wave: thanks for your post. I have meds at home too luckily :) and I have some pro-fibre pellets arriving tomorrow. I have been giving lots of dried plantain/clover with the hay, also parsley, mint, basil, some watercress and spring greens (but not much of that).
Do you know what the problem was with your bunny's gut?

I just wanted to add my ((((vibes))) for Barney.xxx :love:

I really hope they can find out what's going on for the poor lad and can help manage it.

Barney and Molly have spent the morning at the vets. Barney has had an xray and bloods taken. My OH has just picked them up and they are home munching hay now. The vet is going to ring me this afternoon to fill me in. Apparently Molly was a monkey and ran off when they did her ear drops! :lol:

Just spoke to the vet, xrays look completely normal. Blood results back on Monday, so we'll have to take it from there. :?

My memory is going, I thought I'd posted to this thread. Sending healing vibes for Barney and prayers that his tests come back with an answer for you and that whatever is going on it's an easy fix for him. xxxx

Just wanted to update... Barney has been better since not having pellets; but he does still have problems with even the tiniest bit of crunchie, or a decent amount of anything. I now think it is related to his moult, after reading an old thread by Thumps. His poops are so varied, and every day he does a couple of really big ones full of fur :? I have been saying for a long time that my buns issues seem fur-related, but now I am convinced of it. I even think that Honey's problems were fur related, and that her Mucoid enteropathy was only brought on by the stress of staying at the vets. If I had changed her diet and treated her accordingly, she might still be here. But that's for another thread :(

Mr B is always moulting, all year long and has on off bottom and tummy problems. He has been fine for months now but found cutting right down on pellets and crunchies help him. Hope Barney is fine soon, but it could take awhile to find the right diet and what works for Barney. Hope its soon.

I'm glad to hear Barney is doing a bit better, but sad to hear you say this about Honey. :cry: I really don't know if the mucoid enteropathy could come on from just one night in hospital, but others more knowledgeable than I should comment there. Whatever the case, you did all you could for her. She was loved by you and you were a great mum to her. ((((hugs)))))

The two cases may be totally unrelated, but I see no wrong in doing a bit more if you can to reduce their fur intake. It could even be what he grooms off Molly that he can't process properly. The texture may be different to his own fur. Perhaps his tummy bogs down more after he swallows some of her hair?

Even though my bunnies aren't bonded, I really have a time with each of mine taking in too much fur, especially Mimzy who's become too agitated for proper grooming since his head tilt and no longer appreciates much fuss. Last night I took three bunnies just off his backside in hair (it practically falls out in some spots and others just a gentle tug brings it off) and while there is definite regrowth here and there, most of the fur comes away with only pink skin underneath and I am not certain if this is due to parasitic problems (mine never test positive for mites but we do keep Revolution onhand to treat them with just to be safe) or if the house itself is too warm and moist or warm and dry depending on the season and the amount of his own fur that he must ingest is frightening. :( I constantly have trouble with him eliminating well and keep thinking it can't just be all the hair! But maybe it is? :?
It's very frustrating. :(
Pardon the crummy cellphone photos. :oops: Just to give you an idea.... You can see how tatty Mimz looks here...too much skirt on his bum and all sorts of fluff hanging off here and there. :( He looks like a Shetland pony he has so much undercoat. :(

How his rear right behind looked last night (not the best pic but he wouldn't cooperate). See the new growth and then the pink skin above it? The fur just comes right off in both spots!

This is what I got off him with just a few minutes plucking from an area less than the the size of a dollar bill. :shock: Please don't mind the other mess, I wasn't done cleaning his pen at the time. His output looks okay (sort of) here, but this is just one of his better days. :(

The whole point being, I never really see him grooming/eating the fur, but I've broken a few poops open and they can be full of it.
To be fair he really can't reach behind himself well, but he sure doesn't want me doing it. :roll: Every time I see a picture you post of Olly he never looks anything like this, so the problem is just with me keeping up, which I've had a hard time doing lately. And Barney seems a relatively short haired bun compared to Mimzy, so I'm guessing it's a lot easier to keep the fluff down on him as long as he will let you. :) I don't know how Molly is with grooming, but she may need greater maintenance so he doesn't block up with any of her fur that he may ingest during grooming. :thumb:

I've gone off on a toot, sorry :oops:...but I really hope things will go better for both Barney and Molly. Thinking of you all and sending hugs. xxxx

Thank you BYB and Mimzmum :wave:

MM, Honey was in hospital (different ones :() for 4 or 5 nights, and the first one she was in a cage next to a puppy :( I don't think that would've helped at all :cry: but I digress.

Olly's bum does have a skirt similar to Mimzy; just not quite as obvious. I just don't know what to do with it. He let's me pluck him, but most of it is really not wanting to come out! I trim it with scissors sometimes as close as I dare, but it doesn't seem to grow back any better :? He just doesn't seem to moult properly. I don't know if they should be shaved if they get like this. I need someone to tell me really!

As for Barney, the fur in his poop is definitely his own as it is White :lol: unless Molly's fur is blocking his tummy a little :? Who knows? He isn't pleased that he can't have his pellets anymore, I think he's getting bored with hay and plantain. I got some birch but he's not overly keen :( and it's so expensive :( he does love oat hay though, they get that at bedtime for a treat. Maybe I should give it more often. I don't know!

Vet rang this morning with blood results. Can't remember everything she said so going to get a copy of the report, but they are not normal :(

Slight liver changes, red blood cell changes, very low protein, abnormal

gastro intestinal function. Quite worried now :(

Have to get faecal samples for three days then send off for testing.

Vet rang this morning with blood results. Can't remember everything she said so going to get a copy of the report, but they are not normal :(

Slight liver changes, red blood cell changes, very low protein, abnormal

gastro intestinal function. Quite worried now :(

Have to get faecal samples for three days then send off for testing.

:( i hope it is something easily treatable or at least manageable. x

Poor Barney, but at least you are on the way to getting to the bottom of things. Will be keeping my fingers , toes and paws crossed xx

Sorry to see this update. As others have said, let's hope its treatable/manageable.

Vibes for Barney and hugs to you.

I just can't believe there might be something really wrong :( he was the healthiest looking bunny ever! And he's so lovely :cry: he comes running over and gives you a good licking when you go upstairs :love: he has to be ok :(

Back