• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bertie - a stasis story....pt 1

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Apologies I don't post much on here lately. I don't get much spare time these days. But here's a story from 2 days ago about a little bunny called Bertie....
Bertie has been with us since August last year. All has been well at our warren barring a little blip with Flo in October with stasis. But Bertie has been fine. He's always at Flos side. I came home from work last thursday. Jan was at her mums and the bunnies had been in the kitchen all afternoon. Both bunnies were fine. They wanted garden time so I let them out at 5:30pm for a couple of hours. They were happy outside, nomming on the grass. I fetched them in at 7:30pm as I was going to go to bed (I'd had a terrible nights sleep the previous night). I got the snuffle mats ready and put the first one down. Bertie and Flo started tucking in like normal. I went to bed and was more or less in z-land before being woken by Jan at 9:45pm. "Berties not right" she said. I went downstairs and Bertie was lying on the floor - more or less as he usually does at night. But Jan had been home about 45 minutes and she just felt that Bertie wasn't looking right, even though as I was watching him, it all seemed ok. The only subtle shift was that Bertie usually lies next to Flo and he curls his feet round the back of Flo. This time he was on his own and his feet were slightly poking out straight. No other clues. Jan said he didn't want the second snuffle mat - and Bertie is always first to the snuffle mats. Another subtle shift in behaviour. I offered Bertie a chopped blueberry - he never ever refuses a blueberry. He looked at it and turned away. Then moved, lay down again and refused the blueberry again.
2 hours earlier he was happily eating the herbs and pellets from the snuffle mat. Maybe he just wasn't hungry? Something didn't feel right and I could see Jan was concerned. So we rang the vet.
Now, this will sound all wrong but after the tragidy of Alfred and the out of hours vet last June, I was extremely anxious about calling the out of hours vet. Why is it when my rabbits get poorly they always wait until 1 minte past 8 - which is when the OOH vets takes over. But I knew that we mustnt delay so we rang the OOH vets and requested to bring Bertie in. Again, thsi will sound wrong - I do not mean it to be because Bertie (and Flo) are insured. But just taking Bertie to the OOH vet at 10pm was going to cost.....£290. I'm sorry, but this is wrong. There is something fundamentally wrong with the system here.
But our rabbits are insured so I wasn't worried about costs. Berties health was and will be my priority as is Flos. I picked up Bertie and to be fair, he didnt protest and that also told me something was wrong. We got to the vet and the nurse took Bertie for a triage. Alrady something felt different - this was an entirely different care to what we have had previously. We sat down and waited until the nurse returned. She came back minus Bertie and explaine dthat the vet would be out in a moment as she was with another patient. She explained that his vitals all seemed normal. Heart rate was a bit high but he gets very stressed in a carrier - I think that is something from his past. His breathing was ok so the initial triage was all positive.
The vet called us in - it was about 10:30pm by now. No Bertie. I was starting to get worried. But this vet was different and there was something very reassuring about her - as we were about to find out.
She had given Bertie a thorough examination. Top to toe. His temperature was slightly lower than she would like. He was active but she had felt his tummy and not found any concern. On listening to his guts, she said one side was ok but the other side sounded slightly slower. So we have a slight drop in temperature and a slight slowing down of his guts. The vet wasn't totally convinced on stasis but she ruled nothing out as clearly we knew there was something not right. So she offered us options. We could go home with him and see how he went overnight. We could admit him to the hospital and they would monitor him. Or she could do a spot glucose test right now and see how that came back.

Bertie - a stasis story....pt 2

We decided to have the spot glucose test done as this would determine what was going on inside him and she explained that it would give her some indication of what we were looking for. She came back after about 5 minutes. In my heart, I wanted her to find something even though this sounds wrong. It would give us a starting point. The vet (she herself has 3 rabbits, 2 newfoundlands and at least one sheep) explained the scoring on the glucose test. Score 0-8 is good and indicates normal. Score 9-20 means there is probable stasis and anything above 22 is serious and us usually a blockage. She had done some reading on this and I was so pleased that she really knew what she was doing and that she was taking this approach. Berties spot test came back at 10 and she explained that this to her confirmed that we were dealing with probable stasis. What puzzled me was that only a couple of hours earlier he was eating fine. Suddenly he has possible stasis and is now at the vet hospital. I felt pleased that this vet really was on our side.
So, she gave Bertie a pain med jab and an emipred jab and gave us some emipred to take home with Bertie. We handed over £490 for the hour or so we'd been there and drove back home. Bertie was a bit quiet in the carrier and it was now midnight. And things were about to get a whole heap worse....
The vet told us to get some critical care into Bertie so I figured I'd take the safe end and hold Bertie whilst Jan got the bitey end. We made up the critical care and I got Bertie and prepared to have a bit of a struggle. What I didn't know was that as well as giving him a couple of injections, the vet had also filed his claws to a point in readiness for this. It was at this precise moment, Bertie had decided that he'd had quite enough of being proded, injected, temperature taken and manhandled and set about the immediate invisceration of my chest with his claws. And the more Jan waived the big syringe of critical care in front of his bitey end, the more he dug his claws into me. Jan eventually got the critical care syringe into his mouth at which point he decided to nip me - clearly fed up with clawing me. I received a few more nips just for good measure before putting him back in the living room to be with Flo. I went off to tend to my wounds - I looked like I'd had a date with Freddy Kruger. I had some nice swellings from the nips too.
I decided to kip on the sofa so I could monitor Bertie. Jan went off to bed and I made myself semi comfortable on the settee. By 2:30am I'd not had any sleep so I got up and had a check of Bertie. Bertie was sitting looking a bit more comfortable. I made him a small plate of pellets, chopped blueberries and cranberries. I put it down for him and he came straight over and without any hesitation he scoffed the entire plate.
I fell asleep about 3:30am I think and woke up again at 5:30am. I went to check on Bertie again but Flo had decided to sleep in the middle of the floor and was the perfect boobie trap for a half awake hooman. I don't know who got the bigger shock. I made another plate of pellets and blueberries and put it down for Bertie and went to get some water for me. By the time I got back the plate was clear and Bertie was asking to go into the garden! I let him and Flo out and he was quite active. I set about patching up my wounds - which were all shades of colours and got myself ready having had about 3 hours sleep all night. We had to give him some emipred at 7:30am before I went to work and Bertie took this as round 2 and managed to find the only parts of my body that he hadn't clawed 6 hours earlier. And another nip for good measure before we got the emipred into him. So I had to repatch my wounds again and head off to work, grabbing some red bull on the way.
Once at work, the photos started coming in from Jan. Bertie was laying some mines on the lawn and was on an eating rampage. Grass, pellets, grass, pellets, greens. There was no stopping him. By the time I got back last night at 5:30, Bertie had had a marvellous day. I watched him eat grass on the lawn and sit quite comfortably. Last night I prepped the snuffle mats again (I decided not to go with emipred) and Bertie and Flo tucked in as normal. I slept on the sofa again last night and had another dreadful sleep and had a terrible behind the eye headache all through the night and for all of today so far. Bertie was absolutely fine and has laid some massive bum nuggets today on the lawn. He has eaten his food as normal along with Flo who has just rang the bell demanding more food.
Jans obeservations were so quick and she picked up on incredibly subtle shifts in Bertie in such a short time. She certianly ensured that Bertie had the very best chance of recovery but this was helped in no small part by the OOH vets who demonstrated to us, just what the vets should be like. I can't explain how Bertie has recovered so quickly but it goes to show that the most subtle of behaviour shifts can signal something is not right.
Craig x

Oh my goodness Craig, I was on the edge of my seat reading this ! Well done to Jan for her observations , the vet for being on the ball, and yourself for taking Berties frustrations ! Phew, glad it had a happy ending anyway, your Bunnies certainly like to keep you on your toes. Hope you've healed up, got rid of the headache and caught up on your sleep. Have you ever though of writing a thriller ? :lol:

It sounds like you've come off the worst out of this! :lol:
Glad he has recovered quickly

Good work getting Bertie to vets quickly so he can get the proper meds. I am glad your OOH vet was able to verify the stasis and provide appropriate treatment. His being slightly cold seems contrary to what I usually witness with stress.
I am pleased he recovered so quickly, and hope your wounds will soon heal and you will be able to rest well tonight.
Bertie 2, Craig and Jan 0.

Glad to read that Bertie is OK now. You are being very brave about your wounds, Craig. They must hurt a lot. Hope you will heal quickly and that Bertie doesn't add to your injuries xxx

Hope they both remain well now. Maybe you could re-assess their diet and try to cut right back on anything but hay. If they are out grazing on grass, which is excellent, then remember the grass is exceptionally rich at this time of year. It tastes extra sweet too so Rabbits are likely to gorge on it. Sometimes this can lead to gassy tummies, pain and bloating. They will need far less concentrated feed if they are eating a fair bit of grass every day, so I’d try to cut right back on pellets. Maybe just feed a couple now and then during the day instead of any other types of treats. I’d definitely cut out all fruit too as they are getting enough naturally occurring sugars from spring grass.Feeding fruit too will give them far too much sugar and make tummy aches much more likely to occur……no doubt at 2001hrs of an evening !

As for Vet fees these days, I 100% agree they are extortionate. Sadly as most Vet Practices are now owned by large corporate chains pricing is not in the control of the Vets. And the Vets themselves seldom benefit from the huge profits made by the corporate business model. It’s the way of the world now :(

Oh and for anyone interested in the origins of how blood glucose monitoring became one useful diagnostic tool in cases of suspected gut stasis here is some information

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22659922/

Blood glucose monitoring cannot be a stand alone diagnostic tool though, a full examination of the Rabbit is always needed too.

Latest research on prognostic indicators when dealing with a sick Rabbit

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...-latest-research-on-prognostic-indicators.pdf

I see from the link Jane included in her post that hypothermia is one of the indications of illness, and it can be from stress.

How is he today?

Last edited:
Thanks everybun. And thanks for the medical advice Jane. All taken onboard.
Bertie is on very good form today. An astonishing turnaround in such a short time. Yesterday he and Flo spent most of the day in the garden chilling and sunbathing/snoozing. Bertie was very keen to do zoomies at dusk - showing he is really feeling much better.
When they came in at 7:30 I gave them the mat at 8pm and Bertie was keen to tuck in. They went out at 7:30am this morning and Bertie has come I’m leaving Flo to sunbathe. Bertie has tucked into some greens and is chilling under the table.
Craig x

Omg I hope Bertie gets well soon and I'm really sorry for your wounds. Really how important Jane's ideas are, I hope She helped, Jane is our luck.
How are you and Bertie today?

Omg I hope Bertie gets well soon and I'm really sorry for your wounds. Really how important Jane's ideas are, I hope She helped, Jane is our luck.
How are you and Bertie today?

Thank you KCG. Bertie is very good today. He was zooming round the farden yesterday evening - one day I will capture this on video because he is quite the athlete when he is in full flight. He is eating absolutely fine and looking for food. He is outside at the moment in the shade and Flo is up the top end of the garden in her usual summer spot. Bertie is producing some fine bum nuggets.
I hope that you are well.
Craig x

Thank you KCG. Bertie is very good today. He was zooming round the farden yesterday evening - one day I will capture this on video because he is quite the athlete when he is in full flight. He is eating absolutely fine and looking for food. He is outside at the moment in the shade and Flo is up the top end of the garden in her usual summer spot. Bertie is producing some fine bum nuggets.
I hope that you are well.
Craig x

Haha I'm so glad to hear that, I definitely want to see the video. :D
I'm fine, thank you very much :)

I'm really pleased Bertie is doing a lot better now. Well done on getting him to the vet so quickly. One of the things I've learned is that a potential stasis situation can be turned around very quickly if you can get them seen by a vet and started on treatment as soon as you can.

Gut instinct is also very important: if a bunny seems "off" then it's more than likely that there's something brewing and they need to be seen.

I'm really pleased Bertie is doing a lot better now. Well done on getting him to the vet so quickly. One of the things I've learned is that a potential stasis situation can be turned around very quickly if you can get them seen by a vet and started on treatment as soon as you can.

Gut instinct is also very important: if a bunny seems "off" then it's more than likely that there's something brewing and they need to be seen.

100% agree SLH. And yet no one can actually quantify ‘gut instinct’. Some say 6th sense and I’m sure there’s other phrases. But it’s an undiagnosed feeling that comes that can’t be explained. And yet it’s right so many times.

Back