• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

John-Joe + Roisin U/D 4th May

A horrible decision to have to make but as you always do, whatever you decide will be the right thing and with JJ’s best interests at heart.
Sending lots of love x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJ has had a lot of poo output over the last couple of hours and he has started eating again. The impacted matter is definitely breaking up and moving through. He remains on lots of meds and fluids. As he’s eating a little for himself now, mostly hay and dandelion leaves, I am holding off syringe feeds. He is hopping about too, which he hasn’t done for several days. Given how things seemed to improve, only to relapse again last night I am not getting my hopes up. But he hasn’t given up yet, so neither will I.

Roisin had her second nebulising of the day whilst sitting on my lap. She really seems to enjoy it. She is a bit more active too x

I presume surgery isn't being considered right now for JJ?

Sadly I have spoken too soon re JJ :cry: Will be contacting my Vet later, but I think we are going to have to make some difficult decisions. Possibly laparoscopy, which my Vet has said will be very high risk given JJs already debilitated state, but it might be a case of taking the risk if the only alternative is PTS. Obviously JJ would have relevant scans prior to opening him up. But even scans can miss some issues. JJ has a chronic gut motility problem which is not caused by a poor diet, it is something he has had since he was a baby. My Vet believes that surgical intervention will not give JJ a long term cure as it won’t change his poor gut motility, in fact it could even make it worse.

To be honest I just don’t know what to do. Even if he were to survive surgery there’s a good chance problems will continue. Is it fair to put him through such a major op’ when he is already poorly if the surgery has minimal chance of being curative.

Not asking anyone to tell me what to do, I know it’s a decision only me and my Vet can make. I am just typing out the chaos that is constantly going round and round in my head.

:cry:

JJ has had a lot of poo output over the last couple of hours and he has started eating again. The impacted matter is definitely breaking up and moving through. He remains on lots of meds and fluids. As he’s eating a little for himself now, mostly hay and dandelion leaves, I am holding off syringe feeds. He is hopping about too, which he hasn’t done for several days. Given how things seemed to improve, only to relapse again last night I am not getting my hopes up. But he hasn’t given up yet, so neither will I.

Roisin had her second nebulising of the day whilst sitting on my lap. She really seems to enjoy it. She is a bit more active too x
He's probably already on it or its been considered, but lactulose works wonders for Atticus, because it rehydrates all the compacted stuff so it can pass easier. Idk if it's considered bad for buns, but I always make sure we have a bottle in for him.

Sending more hugs and vibes xx

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

He's probably already on it or its been considered, but lactulose works wonders for Atticus, because it rehydrates all the compacted stuff so it can pass easier. Idk if it's considered bad for buns, but I always make sure we have a bottle in for him.

Sending more hugs and vibes xx

I used to swear by Lactulose as I believe it helped a Rabbit I had who had an impacted caecum. But the RCVS now say it shouldn’t be used in Rabbits as the sugars can cause serious dysbiosis. As with all,things Rabbit related even Vets can’t seem to agree on what treatments are OK !

Given that we are in last chance saloon territory, yes, he is having lactulose x

I used to swear by Lactulose as I believe it helped a Rabbit I had who had an impacted caecum. But the RCVS now say it shouldn’t be used in Rabbits as the sugars can cause serious dysbiosis. As with all,things Rabbit related even Vets can’t seem to agree on what treatments are OK !

Given that we are in last chance saloon territory, yes, he is having lactulose x

Ah I didn't know! Tbh Atticus wouldn't survive without it, the emeprid and cisapride don't do anything without it I've found for him. (I don't use it for normal stasis for the others tho)

I hope something helps him, poor boy :( xx

Ah I didn't know! Tbh Atticus wouldn't survive without it, the emeprid and cisapride don't do anything without it I've found for him. (I don't use it for normal stasis for the others tho)

I hope something helps him, poor boy :( xx

I agree, with Megacolon I personally believe Lactulose is an essential.

I hope JJ and Rosin continue to improve overnight and surgery can be avoided
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I am relieved to read JJ is doing better and is moving around. Bless Roisin for enjoying her nebulizing. Sending vibes for all of you.

Thankfully JJ has improved a lot overnight, he is eating with enthusiasm and his poo output is increasing. He will remain on prokinetics until he has finished his very heavy moult. I do groom him daily and the amount of fur that comes away every day is unbelievable. My Vet has said that due to JJs life long poor gut motility he might need prokinetics every time he is in moult to try to avoid this awful situation occurring again. Whilst relying on medication isn’t ideal when all other measures have been addressed (diet, grooming, exercise, hydration) then it might be the only option. I really don’t want him to become so poorly again, I honestly thought I was going to lose him. I am still anxious about him relapsing.

Roisin is a bit better too. She is less snotty, but her right lung is still crackly. Her gunky eyes are much better. She is still quiet, but she is eating and pooping well. She will remain on treatment for at least another 2 weeks, probably longer. She’s likely to have long term rhinitis and I expect some scaring to her lungs too.

Thanks so much for all of your support :love:

Back