• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

John-Joe + Roisin U/D 4th May

Just taken these two pics :D

sZuGTUj.jpg

AqIgeMy.jpg

I'm really pleased both Roisin and John Joe are doing a lot better today. I hope you and your vet will be able to come up with a plan to help JJ avoid another really bad episode. Personally I always feel a sense of trepidation when the bunnies start to go through a moult as that always seems to be the danger period for stasis episodes!

It was nice to read your update. They look so much better in today's photoes.
Sending extra vibes for all of your bunnies and you too!

D'aww Roisin :love: any bats in the cave? ;) (C used to say that when we'd get a nostril shot of the bunnies.)

They're both looking really good, Jane. :) I was wondering if you'd used Judith's remedy for her bunny, Thumper, for John Joe by giving him hawthorn for his gut issues. I'd wanted to suggest it before but had no idea if you could acquire any. :)

I'm hoping their improvement will continue. xxxxx

D'aww Roisin :love: any bats in the cave? ;) (C used to say that when we'd get a nostril shot of the bunnies.)

They're both looking really good, Jane. :) I was wondering if you'd used Judith's remedy for her bunny, Thumper, for John Joe by giving him hawthorn for his gut issues. I'd wanted to suggest it before but had no idea if you could acquire any. :)

I'm hoping their improvement will continue. xxxxx

I didn’t specifically give him the hawthorn for his guts, but I do remember Judy’s thread about managing Thumper’s chronic gut problems focusing very much on natural forages. Because I live in an urban area access to wild forage is very limited, especially now that I cannot travel. But there is a place where I can obtain some hawthorn at this time of year :)

I didn’t specifically give him the hawthorn for his guts, but I do remember Judy’s thread about managing Thumper’s chronic gut problems focusing very much on natural forages. Because I live in an urban area access to wild forage is very limited, especially now that I cannot travel. But there is a place where I can obtain some hawthorn at this time of year :)

Judy managed Thumper's gut issues by feeding him Blackthorn leaves, but she found they were only beneficial at a certain time of year, early Autumn I think. So to help him cope the rest of the year, she used to dry large quantities of them. Several supportive RU members used to send her ones they had foraged.

From memory I think the Blackthorn leaves were used only when he had a flare-up, not day-to-day. There is a very long thread about it all :)

Blackthorn also is controversial as a feed for rabbits as it's a member of the Prunus family (Sloes).

Today our Vet visited to review Roisin. She is still snotty, but improving. Her lungs are not great, that is likely to be due to scaring from previous infections including the most recent one. She has gained weight and is well within herself. She had her nasolacrimal ducts flushed and she was so good. No sedation, just local anaesthetic. Our Vet said that she hasn’t known a Rabbit to be so co-operative. Roisin will remain on systemic abx for at least another 14 days. She is on a different eye ointment. Although her symptoms are likely to be chronic she is coping well at the moment. So we will take things one day at a time.

JJ is doing very well. He is currently off all medication. Let’s hope me posting that isn’t tempting fate ……

Oh, this is all very good news. :love: Long may their improved health continue and I hope you get a much needed breather from all this worry, Jane. xxxxx

You did a fabulous job of nursing care. They are such lucky bunnies to be loved by you.
Sending vibes the post did not tempt fate.

All I did was follow the instructions given by my Vet.She’s the one with all the knowledge and skill x

While I certainly value a great vet, you need the skill and dedication to identify the issue, then follow the instructions. You also have the trust of your bunnies. You have a great bond with them. If you ever test your DNA you could be the missing link between humans and bunnies!:lol:

Back